2/3 autistic?

shaky

shaky

I watched that programme 'Are you Autistic?' taht was on Channel 4
I reckon I fit 2 of the categories.
I have social difficulies (looking people in the eye is HARD and HORRIBLE'
I am poor at changing track - once I'm doing something I keep doing it.
But the sensory bit - being oversentistive - I don't have that. I like loud music and bright lights.
So I seem to be 2/3 autistic.

I've not been diagnosed, of course (I'm in my 50s. Autism wasn't even a thing in my childhood)
I don't know if there's any support either.

R

Rusalochka

I tried to bring up autism to my psychiatrist and she blew me off. Well she's stupid anyway and I'm no longer seeing her. I hope she enjoys her bad online reviews.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i haven't watched the documentary you mention but i wouldn't be self diagnosing based on a tv program. also your 3 diagnosis criteria are not accurate. i think the national autism society website is good for general info, have you looked on that?

Last edited:
Mayfair

Mayfair

But the sensory bit - being oversentistive - I don't have that. I like loud music and bright lights.

I've not been diagnosed, of course (I'm in my 50s. Autism wasn't even a thing in my childhood)
I might watch this programme.

My hearing issues are something that I think is certainly unusual, I can't hear or single people out on tv programmes (subtitles on most things for me), or loud places, or when lots of people are talking (unless I'm very familiar with them, so I know how they talk, and their accents, and that)

But I can hear very high pitches, and I hear this A LOT in recent years since people have lots of electrical devices. Even with my headphones on loud (I like loud music - IF it's my choice to listen to it), I can feel when I bus is parked outside, or when the neighbour shuts a door.

I don't like unexpected sounds, like when someone knocks on the door, when I'm not expecting anyone. I always thing I should buy a heart monitor to see what it does when this happens :LOL:

(I'm not diagnosed autistic btw, and never will be)

Mayfair

Mayfair

Some believe that autism is caused by toxins in our vaccines.
Sorry to be blunt, but that is total tripe.
Bold, I sense (so no autism here) that you upset.

Here are my thoughts:

I think some believe things like MMR 'cause' autism.

I think that idea is tripe as well, but it's not to say MMR doesn't cause effects in people.

My argument to this, is that there is risk in anything. If 1000 babies have MMR, and 10 get ill, (or have effects similar to autism), you can be sure that there will be a media storm. Probably most of the 10 were autistic anyway, and the small chance of adverse effects from taking chemicals is absolutely inevitable. Anyone who thinks there can be 100% in this, is deluded.

Really I think it shows modern people as being far too reliant on what it highly complex stuff.

(as a doctor) I'd just show them a graph from just 2 or 3 generations ago (prior to giving the injections), that shows that probably 500 of them would get ill from one of these infections just a hundred or so years ago.

Last edited:
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

The scale of the problem has been underestimated. Autism is a spectrum disorder, hence the diagnostic category of ASD. It's a neurological and developmental condition that you are born with, and is life-long. Most people who get a diagnosis have traits of other neurological issues as well, but if one tends to predominate, then that makes for the diagnosis. I am ASD, but have been told there are traits of Tourettes and ADHD there too. This is still all being looked into for me, and it's early days yet :)

I'm now in my 50's, and got my diagnosis only last year. It can be an uphill struggle to get it, and resources even for assessment are thin on the ground, especially for adults. Support thereafter for adults is particularly lacking :)

I tried to bring up autism to my psychiatrist and she blew me off. Well she's stupid anyway and I'm no longer seeing her. I hope she enjoys her bad online reviews.
I talked speculatively with quite a few of the docs and MH workers involved in my care. The more I looked into it, the more I thought it was perhaps applicable to me :)

I then raised the issue of referral/assessment with one of my psych docs directly TWICE before finally taking my Mum along as a witness, and then really pressing for a referral. In my area the GP must make the referral as the psych doc is not (so they said) 'commissioned' to do this. The GP referred me, and I had a three-stage assessment which has resulted in a diagnosis of ASD, and some time with a Life Coach :)

Keep chipping away at it if you think you may be on the spectrum, and do not be deterred. I was sure something wasn't right, and cos I kept on raising the matter, finally got referred, after being poo-pooed on many occasions - over a life time in fact depending on how you look at it lol :)

DoctorInternet2

DoctorInternet2

They say that with autism, no two people's symptoms are the same. But there's a range of symptoms that could mean you are autistic.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I watched it last night and turned it off after about 15 mins, it was dreadfully done (but no worse than most things on those channels)

Would have been better on the BBC I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Autism and Mental Health 1