• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

1st psych appointment

W

whatstheproblem?

Hey, I have my first psych assessment tomorrow and am
so anxious about it... Been trying not to think about it for weeks but now it's here I'm so worried. I feel sick. I just hate not knowing what to expect and am worried that they will judge my whole situation based on one hour with me and might decide I don't need any help. I really do need help, bit I don't know what outcome I'm hoping to achieve. I want to change my entire self but I know they can't do that. What's going to happen? What will they ask me? Urggggggg, panic!!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hy whatstheproblem,

Its natural I think to feel like you do when its your 1st appointment and maybe the 2nd and 3rd etc!! I know I did and still do feel nervous - but I do trust my psych therapist now. What kind of therapy are you going for?

I don;t think they will decide everything about you in one hour or that you don;t need help - so don;t worry about that.
They will probably just ask you how you are and a brief outline of what has/is going on - don;t panic too much - you will be ok

Let us know how you get on

Stay well
Keepsafe

W

whatstheproblem?

Thanks keepsafe- I don't know much about it - my dr has been wanting to refer me for a while but I wouldn't agree to it until recently. I thought I could get round everything by taking meds but they havnt worked so dr said she couldn't prescribe me anything more, only a psychiatrist could give me what she thinks I need (no idea what!)... All very confusing. Will let you know how tomorrow goes, thanks for post xx

N

nina

(y)(y)Hey u,

seriously I would welcome it ..I always feel someone who look inside your head and help de clutter is a good positive thing...its a good thing on the way to solving the puzzle

Nina:)

J

Just-ME

on my own experience the psych will have read your notes made by your doctor, but will ask about what has been going on with you in your own words, how you've been feeling, how long this is going on, questions like that. what you hope may be achieved, what you want?

good luck. just remember they are there to help.

W

whatstheproblem?

Hey everyone, thank you for responses. Have mixed feelings about appointment.. It went ok but feel strange about my whole future treatment being based on how I answered questions in one hour out of one day... I'm so up and down that if they had asked me same questions this afternoon the outcome would have been totally different.

Anyway, I'm back next thurs to see what treatment they've decided on. The woman I saw today however said she doesn't want to label me as having severe m.I at my age and thinks referring me to psychology will be best.... Does this mean cbt? A bit confused by it all and exhausted! x

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
It doesn't necessarily mean CBT but whatever the psychologist thinks is the most appropriate approach.

Well done for getting through the first appointment, and I hope next week's appointment goes well too.