• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

1st generation antipsychotics

A

Affective

Is anyone on them currently? Has anyone here currently used them in the past? I hear the side effects are atrocious.

K

Katie84

Hi, i dont know if seroquel is one of them, which i am on, the side effects aint too bad you do get used to them its just them making you tired which can get really annoying. They also give me a dry mouth and make me constipated but i do feel much better to be on them than off, some days i kinda feel numb or no emotion not high not low just weird really. :)

A

Affective

Hi, i dont know if seroquel is one of them, which i am on, the side effects aint too bad you do get used to them its just them making you tired which can get really annoying. They also give me a dry mouth and make me constipated but i do feel much better to be on them than off, some days i kinda feel numb or no emotion not high not low just weird really. :)
No, that is a second generation antipsychotic :)

keepsafe

keepsafe

I'm on aripiprazole - I find it works better for me than respiridone - side effects - I twitch sometimes involutary - like muscle spasm - not really bad though - that could be other medication too though I suppose.

A

Affective

I'm on aripiprazole - I find it works better for me than respiridone - side effects - I twitch sometimes involutary - like muscle spasm - not really bad though - that could be other medication too though I suppose.
I am on Aripripazole too. However we are on 3rd Gen antipsychotics.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Oh sorry my mistake - what are 1st generation anti psychs?
Can you name some

keepsafe

keepsafe

OK I had a look now, surely the new antipsychs are meant to be better on the side effects - new as in abilify (aripiprazole) - I can;t help with the answer to your question - sorry

Glad I am not on 1st generation anti psychs as the write ups seem to mention lots of bad side effects

A

Affective

OK I had a look now, surely the new antipsychs are meant to be better on the side effects - new as in abilify (aripiprazole) - I can;t help with the answer to your question - sorry

Glad I am not on 1st generation anti psychs as the write ups seem to mention lots of bad side effects
No worries. And yeah they sound terrible :S

As for naming some, these are a few with high potency:
* Haloperidol (Haldol, Serenace)
* Fluphenazine (Prolixin)
* Droperidol
* Zuclopenthixol (Clopixol)

Last edited:
F

Frings

roll on the 3rd generation.. weight gain from olanzapine aint no fun:(

R

rasselas

Anti-psychotic? Don't make me laugh. I've skipped my anti-sarcastic medication in order to write this, for you, my chemically coshed brothers and sisters:

The man that part self-tasked himself with the job of transforming the image of neuroleptics was a kindly fellah called Gerald Klerman. Here's a rare photo of him:

He was instrumental in transforming the drug from its psychopharmacological truth: a nonspecific cognitive flattening agent to a specific 'antipsychotic' medication.

He later became the director of NIMH. Here's a photo of their headquarters' reception area:

You can find Klerman's research findings in a variety of texts, including the seminal 1970 tome by DiMascio and Shader, The Clinical Handbook of Psychopharmacology.

In here you'll see that Klerman - in a rare display of honesty - shows that the four most improved "symptoms," brought about by drugging an individual with neuroleptics are (from top to bottom - sometimes literally, from mouth to bum) are: (1) combativeness, (2) hyperactivity, (3) tension, and (4) hostility.

In a nutshell, the individual is subdued.

Which kind of brings to mind....

Which is why the neuroleptics are so often referred to as "the chemical straightjacket" for that is ultimately what they are.

:)

Last edited:
keepsafe

keepsafe

Great Mark - makes me feel much better now - ta for that!

Hahaha really though the straightjacket effect is true

R

rasselas

Great Mark - makes me feel much better now - ta for that!

Hahaha really though the straightjacket effect is true
Spot on, sister! I hope you've taken your anti-sarcastic medication too!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yeah can't you tell - No not due until 8pm then I get real sarcastic!!! LOL

R

rasselas

lol

in case I am accused of bias, I think it's only fair to point out that the neuroleptics didn't just replace the straightjacket.

They also replaced the cosh:

cosh.jpg

An unseen violence is still violence...