• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

19 years old and memory problems

silentEden

silentEden

Hi. Im 19 years old, and I'm having a hard time remembering things. I can't remember much about things I did or events from age 14ish and younger. I can remember some things, but I mostly remember emotions from that time. Specifics are hard to remember for me. And now I have a hard time remembering things I'm supposed to do. I have to keep lots of lists for things. Once I finish thinking about something, its hard to remember it later. It keeps getting worse. Its difficult because I try to talk to my mom about my mental health, but since I can't remember specific things it's hard convince my mom I'm not exageratting or generalizing. Is there ways people know to deal with poor memory rentention? Its just so discouraging to try and get my life together when I keep taking 2 steps forward, then having to take the same steps again for a few times before they stick. Thank you :)

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

My memory is terrible as well; I have trouble remembering directions and all sorts of other things. What kind of tasks do you have difficulty doing? The hard time you have convincing your mother may be hurting your mental health. And out of curiosity, why are you trying to remember something you did years ago? Try to stay in the present. 🙂

silentEden

silentEden

I'm having difficulty remember what day it is, even month sometimes. I also have a hard time with remembering what I did today or yesterday, like what I ate in the morning or if that time I remember taking the dog out was an hour or a day ago. I'm trying to remember things that happened years ago because that is the last time I did anything besides burying myself into the internet to escape being in my house. Its important I remember specifics of what happened years ago so that I can make a cohesive explanation to why I like what I'm like today. If not for my mom, then for me.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Its important I remember specifics of what happened years ago so that I can make a cohesive explanation to why I like what I'm like today. If not for my mom, then for me.
Okay.
But why do you need to remember what you ate in the morning? Does it really matter anymore? By trying to remember unnecessary details, you may be unintentionally punishing yourself.

silentEden

silentEden

What I ate is just an example. Its hard cuz I cant remember when I took my meds or did a chore. It's also extremely worrying for me. So its not really unimportant, mostly lol.

T

TimeOutForTina

What I ate is just an example. Its hard cuz I cant remember when I took my meds or did a chore. It's also extremely worrying for me. So its not really unimportant, mostly lol.
I agree it’s not unimportant at all. You are trying to understand why this is and are giving us examples. You mention taking meds, can I ask what these are for? Could it be them that is causing this? Also do you work? If so, how do you find this is going?

Moms have a hard time understanding their kids but it’s so good you are looking for answers yourself.

Lualeo

Lualeo

This happens to me too, I don't recall a lot of my past, some of my memories feel like a dream. I'm 22 and sometimes I am like: wait, how old am I? Whats my name?

I feel like my mind is trying to block some information that can harm me.

Like I know I have been bullied but I don't necessarily recall the specific things that happened to me. I only recall the most harmful days and in a very superficial way.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Mental Problems, Men 25 years old. Mental Health Experiences 4
H I hate my mother and I am over 12 years old Mental Health Experiences 9
P Feel like I'm 60 years old Mental Health Experiences 13
C 32 years old and confused.. Mental Health Experiences 3
L 28 years old being unemployed for two years, no friends, no confidence Mental Health Experiences 3
D Im 31 years old and live with my parents. No job, no car, no money, no life. Severely depressed, no energy, no motivation. Mental Health Experiences 17
jajingna Twenty years ago Mental Health Experiences 17
Y Feeling lost 24/7 for years and years Mental Health Experiences 5
C I am hopong someone out there is feeling how I am. I have suffered from Generalised Anxiety for over 18 years, it started when my 1st child was born. Mental Health Experiences 5
Phillmitchell86 5 years and still no idea Mental Health Experiences 10
hORIzonFINK210 been stable for exactly 4 years now Mental Health Experiences 5
lilyrxse 10 years and no change Mental Health Experiences 2
HellRider 2 years since I left Mental Health Experiences 3
lavenderfire Dreams - From Not Dreaming For Years, To Dreaming Every Night Mental Health Experiences 5
Moody Blues I Was Diagnosed Some 15 Years Ago And... Mental Health Experiences 4
B Same pain every year for 14 years Mental Health Experiences 3
sab My mother ruined something which was my hobby for many years... Mental Health Experiences 7
L HEARTBREAK DEPRESSION 7 YEARS LATER? Mental Health Experiences 2
G Divorced Retired socially isolated 3 years now can’t budge to socialize Mental Health Experiences 4
G Took me 27 years to get my medicine right Mental Health Experiences 4
N I wrote a deep suicide note 2 years ago Mental Health Experiences 3
M Aphantasia & 16 years of depression Mental Health Experiences 3
Hopeful313 This is where I lived for 5 years Mental Health Experiences 8
M Major depression, OCD and debilitating fatigue for 20 years. What to do!? Mental Health Experiences 1
O First post in 3 years - Advice welcomed Mental Health Experiences 1
T Tilta goes back to college after over 20 years! Mental Health Experiences 12
Midnight.Panda My Mother's Words From 5 Years Ago Still Hurt Me Today Mental Health Experiences 8
R I was discarded after thirteen years, just three weeks before our wedding Mental Health Experiences 2
Iamsoconfused Can transference last years? Mental Health Experiences 2
H raising my son after 6 years of being absence in his life Mental Health Experiences 3
A Weird Changes In Personality Over The Years Mental Health Experiences 2
C Diagnosed Bipolar 5 years ago and realized yesterday that I really am bipolar Mental Health Experiences 5
G The father of my child after 4 years is leaving me for his ex girlfriend Mental Health Experiences 4
S The problem with being mentally sick during 12 years Mental Health Experiences 9
C Intro... 30 years of depression and counting Mental Health Experiences 6
E Something occurred to me today after all these years Mental Health Experiences 3
E Can you complain about a doctor 9 years later? Mental Health Experiences 73
W years self medicating with alcohol. recently diagnosed bipolar. how do you break out of it? help,please :( Mental Health Experiences 8
S Experience with multiple disorders for 20 years. Mental Health Experiences 1
M I don't even know how to describe this, even if many years have passed. Mental Health Experiences 3
W I have recovered from like 6 episodes over the years Mental Health Experiences 7
aleshadxcherylc attachment 2 years on and its still happening Mental Health Experiences 9
Unique1 I hope MH gets easier for people as the years go by.... Mental Health Experiences 2
L 10 years destrution Mental Health Experiences 3
E Something someone said 28 years ago is still haunting me Mental Health Experiences 29
C Not feelings of love or happiness in years Mental Health Experiences 4
S After four years, I should just buy a gun Mental Health Experiences 1
C Why do i get Reoccurring dreams about an old unrequited love (lgbt) Mental Health Experiences 1
T In my head, I am still the same old me... Mental Health Experiences 1
I Can anyone give advice for 91 year old mom out of control Mental Health Experiences 41