13 Reasons Why trigger?

123sam321

Hi all, im new to this and was wondering if anyone else felt similar after watching 13 reasons why?
I think I used to be depressed, for various reasons, and tried to kill myself one time and ended up spending a while in hospital after ODing one evening.
But since then, I put myself into counselling, met a girl (whom I'm now engaged to) and am happy enough in work. I've actually felt really happy for the last three years, which is something I didnt think was possible when I was in the frame of mind I was when I overdosed.
But I watched 13 reasons why the other day and became addicted to it, watched it all in one day, and now I can't get it out of my head. It's suddenly made me feel exactly like I used to feel when I took the overdose, but anger as well as depression. And I'm not really sure why?
I keep saying to myself it's anger because these actors are saying that they did this to spread awareness and because they care about the issue of mental health and bullying etc... Yet they are being paid fortunes to do this show, so surely it's all bullshit? They didn't do it to spread awareness, they did it because they were paid too.
Also, if this is having the same effect on loads of people that suffered with depression then I think it needs to be talked about. It might not be helping people, it might be ruining lives?
Last time I felt like this, talking to councillor helped to sort things out. So I'm wondering if talking on here would help too?
Has 13 reasons why had this effect on anyone else??
Thank you

Mayfair

Mayfair

I'm unfamiliar with 13 reasons, or what it is. I assume a film.

:welcome: to the foums though :)

Cazcat

Cazcat

I've not seen that film, but there are a lot of films that I find difficult because they deal with issues that are too close to home, I find Total Recall very distressing particularly the scene where the guys wife is trying to pursuade him he is mentally ill and delusional whilst armed police wait to shoot him if she doesn't succeed. I also struggled with Shutter Island.

Films can be very emotive.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I've not seen that film, but there are a lot of films that I find difficult because they deal with issues that are too close to home, I find Total Recall very distressing particularly the scene where the guys wife is trying to pursuade him he is mentally ill and delusional whilst armed police wait to shoot him if she doesn't succeed. I also struggled with Shutter Island.

Films can be very emotive.
Yes, caz, One of the feew films I like is Total Recall, and I don't recollect this. but yes, films can be emotive, and people different things - like I never seen this part or aspect.

I watched Shutter Island for first time a couple of weeks ago on advice that ok from here, and also I think DiCaprio is always very good.

I didn't get it, until the lighthouse scene, first time. I watch it again the other day, and thought it made more sense, and I did like it.

-

This is why I don't like going to films. I prefer to watch things that I like... like BTTF, Star Wars and Terminators as I know I like them from previous experience.

Last edited:
Cazcat

Cazcat

My husband likes Total Recall (And I know that in the film his wife is a bad guy, but having had armed police remove my very unwell husband from the house so he could be taken to hospital that scene hits a nerve) and Shutter Island, it's me that struggle with them.

Mayfair

Mayfair

My husband likes Total Recall (And I know that in the film his wife is a bad guy, but having had armed police remove my very unwell husband from the house so he could be taken to hospital that scene hits a nerve) and Shutter Island, it's me that struggle with them.
yes, some things hits nerves caz.

I don't watch things again if I don't like them for any reason.

I find that when I like things, I watch them over and over.

somedaymaybe

somedaymaybe

They got paid to act, because it's their job. They play a character, and they get paid to do so. Doesn't mean that a show or movie cannot have a significance or awareness, it's all still revolved around reality (usually). I will also mention that 13 Reasons Why is based on a book, and the author wrote the book to spread awareness as well.

Anyway. I understand it would have caused triggers for some people. I think the actors, authors, producers, etc were aware of this, but it wasn't their intention to make a book and TV show specifically to trigger people going through the same things or similar things to the main character, or characters, of the show/book. Sometimes being very obvious with what people of our society have to go through, can get a message across. Though sometimes it can also cause triggers for some. There's no win-win, but their intention was good.

Anon_21

Anon_21

I watched 13 reasons why the other day and became addicted to it, watched it all in one day, and now I can't get it out of my head. It's suddenly made me feel exactly like I used to feel when I took the overdose, but anger as well as depression. And I'm not really sure why?
I also struggled with Shutter Island. Films can be very emotive.
Welcome, Sam, I'm sorry for your current struggles and can relate. I haven't watched 13 Reasons but Shutter Island was also one that shook me up for days. But with anything like this that has ever triggered me, I've found that staying focused on the present and distancing myself from the trigger has slowly helped ease me out of it. Try to remind yourself of all the positives in your life now and put as much distance (both physically and mentally) between yourself and the show as you can.

Also, if this is having the same effect on loads of people that suffered with depression then I think it needs to be talked about. It might not be helping people, it might be ruining lives?
In my opinion, it is a little of both. I actually worked in a library when this book became popular and spoke to a woman who requested the book with tears in her eyes because it had helped her or her family in some way...I think the book was probably able to reach many people, as the author intended. But visual stimuli is much more emotive, as Cazcat said. There was huge controversy a few years ago when the show came out because, as you said and are experiencing yourself, it did trigger people negatively (to be fair, the book may have too but I didn't hear controversy until the show).

Ultimately I think it is up to the individual reader/viewer as to whether it will help or hurt. I picked the book up at a thrift shop to see what the fuss was about but have not been able to convince myself to read it yet (and after this thread, I may never). I reached for it a couple times but always stop myself because I, too, fear what kind of mentality it will put me in. If I were you I would distance myself from it as much as possible and focus on all the wonderful things in your life. Congratulations on your engagement btw :):flowers:

M

MagnificentMastiffs

Hi 123sam321

I had the very same problems after watching 13 reasons why. I’m glad someone else has also voiced their concerns on this tv series. It caused me to have major anxiety after watching certain scenes (especially the one in the last episode whilst she is in the bath... I’m sure you know exactly which one Im talking about) Which also caused me to relapse in certain parts of my illness. Have you thought about speaking to a professional about this?
Take care