• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

11 years of depression improperly treated by incompetents. 3 suicide attempts. PLEASE HELP!!!

M

May1994

Hi

I am a 27 year old man from Romania and I have been diagnosed with major depresive disorder since age 16. I can no longer bear this pain. I have been "treated" with SSRI's which are absolutely bullshit and good for nothing. I think I should change to MAO's which I've read are very effective. Has anyone been treated with MAO's? Do they really work that well? I currently have severe anxiety and obsesive ideas. Anxiety is mostly alleviated with sedatives, the most efective of which being Zopiclone. However, I cannot get rid of obsessions by any means! Any suggestions?

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately with medication it really is a frustrating kind of trial and error. If you have tried multiple types of SSRI then maybe trying something else is worthwhile. The reason they don't usually start a person on a MAO or Tricyclic is they can be much harder on the body and side effects can be more notable. If there is a pattern of gaining no benefit from SSRI's you could enquire with your doctor if it is worth trying other classifications despite those risks.

I can only tell you I gained benefits from a tricyclic. But the nausea was brutal but I was desperate so I stuck it out. However we are all unique so it is still trial and error regardless.

You may want to post a thread about your struggles with obsessions in the obsessive compulsive section of the forum. Maybe more knowledge members than me on that difficulty, can give you some sound advice. I am sorry to read you are struggling so much. I hope you can find some support here. Take care.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

yep. you are unique and can offer so much. even something as small as caring for a plant can give you pride as you help the world keep breathing ... thats really cool when you think about it.

M

May1994

Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately with medication it really is a frustrating kind of trial and error. If you have tried multiple types of SSRI then maybe trying something else is worthwhile. The reason they don't usually start a person on a MAO or Tricyclic is they can be much harder on the body and side effects can be more notable. If there is a pattern of gaining no benefit from SSRI's you could enquire with your doctor if it is worth trying other classifications despite those risks.

I can only tell you I gained benefits from a tricyclic. But the nausea was brutal but I was desperate so I stuck it out. However we are all unique so it is still trial and error regardless.

You may want to post a thread about your struggles with obsessions in the obsessive compulsive section of the forum. Maybe more knowledge members than me on that difficulty, can give you some sound advice. I am sorry to read you are struggling so much. I hope you can find some support here. Take care.
Thank you so much for your advice and clarification on triciclic and MAO. I should probably try a MAO prescribed by a psychiatrist. I obtain very little benefit from Duloxetine and no benefit or even damage from other SSRI's.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

What you say about "incompetents" may not be true. You may have treatment-resistant depression, like I do. If this is the case, you will find no--or very slight--relief from trying different SSRIs. You may want to ask your psychiatrist about ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) treatments or rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation) treatments. Even those treatments didn't help me. You try these treatments if you have severe depression and nothing else has worked for you. I hope you have a better outcome than I did. Good luck!

C

celticlass

Well you experienced depression at a fairly young age and it is known it can be very difficult to treat a teenager effectively and safely with antidepressants. There can be a tendency for the drugs to make things worse. So I wonder if this treatment plan when you were younger actually contributed to your suicide attempts. You alone know what the environmental issues were for you. I think 11 years is a very long time to be consistently depressed. Do you think there have been times of improvement at all? Personally, although treatment-resistant has been used re myself, hell will have to freeze over before I will go to an ECT treatment suite. Instead I would make changes to my lifestyle which would mean I would be cared for and supported. Also doing the things in life which lift my happiness. So I guess I am thinking your overall diagnosis and treatment plan needs to be re-assessed. I am sorry but I have no idea how mental health care works in Romania.

J

JeanPierre

Hi May, welcome!
As you see great people here who want to help.
We are glad you are here ✌

D

Dorathy

Hello how to I find the obsessive disorder forum?