• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

“Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia” and mental health service users

SarahD

SarahD

I have read Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia, (a very long document), it is a very positive and in many ways very empowering document, and it left me feeling hopeful.

However I have also read the blog above, it is by James C. Coyne who is Professor of Health Psychology at University Medical Center, Groningen, the Netherlands. I believe he is also a psychiatrist with very extensive experience. I am sure many of his criticisms may be valid. The one I am really aware of and actually thought about when I read Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia is that people who are most severely disabled by schizophrenia are just not discussed. It should have covered the whole range of the illness. There is a strong emphasis on a positive outcome (or way of living with the various disorders) that is not possible for everyone.