• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

“Do I Have to Feel so Badly About Myself?” – The Legacies of Guilt, Shame and Anxiety

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

The book asks and answers questions like “Is guilt or shame ever a good thing?” “Won’t people act badly if they don’t feel guilt and shame?” “How does anxiety act as a form of anger management?” “Where do our own choices as children fit in?” “Are most so-called mental illnesses the result of guilt, shame and anxiety?”
As I was reading through the article I couldn't help but ask myself some of these questions and there they were at the bottom of the page.

As with most things, it's about balance, isn't it? Not letting guilt/shame/anxiety getting to you too much and knowing when not to take things too personally v.s. actually being remorseful when you have done something 'wrong'.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M I know I should set boundaries, so why don't I feel like it? Getting Your Life Back! 5
B What makes you feel better? Getting Your Life Back! 24
gt86 Do you feel you have more or less freedom? Getting Your Life Back! 18
gt86 How do you feel when you think of new medication to try? Getting Your Life Back! 8
A I feel like my medication is controlling me Getting Your Life Back! 2
B I feel like my therapist doesn't take me seriously and my psychiatrist is too conservative in my treatment. Getting Your Life Back! 18
A I feel like I have not truly accepted my illness Getting Your Life Back! 8
M I want to feel good and innocent the way I did in the past Getting Your Life Back! 4
D Does anyone feel they never achieved anything? Getting Your Life Back! 23
C An understanding that you are not broken, and it's not you're fault to feel this way Getting Your Life Back! 1
S I can feel myillness Getting Your Life Back! 2
M Should I feel guilty about retiring at the age of 30? Getting Your Life Back! 16
static void To feel or not to feel, that is the question. Getting Your Life Back! 1
American Boy Right now I feel like killing myself Getting Your Life Back! 21
BorderlineDownunder I Feel Stuck In My Illness Getting Your Life Back! 6
J how do you feel when meds start to work? Getting Your Life Back! 7
blacksmoke why do i feel it is not a step forwards?:low: Getting Your Life Back! 11
S I Feel Good Getting Your Life Back! 11
LoneKnight feel it coming back Getting Your Life Back! 1
The Big Dawg I feel like I have a drink problem Getting Your Life Back! 20
S If I am not alone why do I feel like it? Getting Your Life Back! 2
anouska I feel so lonely Getting Your Life Back! 7
Françoise obligation to feel anxious? Getting Your Life Back! 1
N The reason why there is no need to feel shame for emotional disturbance and mental health issues Getting Your Life Back! 20
P Feel mental health deteriorating - input welcome Getting Your Life Back! 4
N Really difficult not to feel furious sometimes Getting Your Life Back! 6
mrlaurel People who feel powerless to make themselves happy often use arrogance as a shield Getting Your Life Back! 2
W What makes you feel worth it? Getting Your Life Back! 9
E Recovery - what does it feel like for you please? Getting Your Life Back! 3
I I feel so alone Getting Your Life Back! 22
GDB76 New job ends up making me feel worse Getting Your Life Back! 4
M motivation is the only sence of something positive i feel, i get more feel good vib from cleaning then prozac wtf that al about? Getting Your Life Back! 3
M Tips for those who cant seem to feel engaged / happy etc Getting Your Life Back! 5
K I self harm and feel like I'm getting nowhere with the nhs Getting Your Life Back! 12
A Anyone else responded well after being treated badly in a group Getting Your Life Back! 3
Volbe I managed to stop starving myself. Getting Your Life Back! 3
F Stood up for myself tonight. Getting Your Life Back! 15
C Thinking about putting myself out there with online dating as a form of recovery Getting Your Life Back! 4
P I’m going to heal myself Getting Your Life Back! 5
A 5 Reasons I'm Glad I Got the F*ck Over Myself and Went to Therapy Getting Your Life Back! 1
M Working to better myself Getting Your Life Back! 5
B After much debating with myself... Im coming off meds this year. Getting Your Life Back! 5
BorderlineDownunder Putting Myself First Getting Your Life Back! 9
J How i get myself over depression Getting Your Life Back! 1
H Being nice to myself is always difficult even when I have done some really great things Getting Your Life Back! 13
bcn68smile introducing myself here Getting Your Life Back! 3
cpuusage Laura Delano on Recovering Myself Getting Your Life Back! 7
The Big Dawg Not sure how to explain myself Getting Your Life Back! 11
H Can i get myself sectioned? Getting Your Life Back! 4
BlackNGreen I want to isolate myself from the world Getting Your Life Back! 3