• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

‘Power’ Approach Gives Patients Stronger Voice in Their Treatment

F

firemonkee57

Written by Psychiatric news

Psychiatric providers often struggle to blend person-centered care with shared decision making in community clinic settings. “Power statements” is a new approach that may help patients communicate specific goals and participate in their treatment by writing simple, concise sentences, according to new research.
Psych News Alert: ‘Power’ Approach Gives Patients Stronger Voice in Their Treatment

This sounds interesting. Anything that increases a patient's input into his/her care must be good.

D

Draper

That is an interesting way to do it in the waiting room. I worked on something a few years ago helping psychiatric inpatients to write out a statement of their understanding of events, to go at the top of their notes. The idea was to get nurses or assistants doing it routinely, it related to a NICE guidelines, but I didn't get the impression they could fit it in or would be rewarded for doing so.

In this one the form sounds leading about the solution being medication, but I see one of the merged examples in the gray box a person has apparently changed it to ask for some other type of help. I see the lead author Pat Deegan was funded by the software company but I recall that name from recovery writings so I guess she's ok...