Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dementia - They Don't Tell You These Things...

My Mood
      Angelic

I think that was in the past and not how we use the word dementia now. Its an organic illness which often causes psychotic symptoms due to brain changes, unlike anything proven in schizophrenia. Its a confusion in terms. Remember, they used to use words like moron, idiot, lunatic, in the old days for various MH difficulties and lumped in people with learning difficulties too.
      “You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
      I think that was in the past and not how we use the word dementia now. Its an organic illness which often causes psychotic symptoms due to brain changes, unlike anything proven in schizophrenia. Its a confusion in terms. Remember, they used to use words like moron, idiot, lunatic, in the old days for various MH difficulties and lumped in people with learning difficulties too.
      you knew where you stood with the old words would ian duncan smith be saying morons idiots and lunatics could work

My Mood
      Angelic

Rambo - this is about organic dementia - not all you are talking about. Please don't think its the same thing as the MH labels, its not.
      “You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
      Rambo - this is about organic dementia - not all you are talking about. Please don't think its the same thing as the MH labels, its not.
      schitzoprenia used to be considered organic a lot of psychiatrists consider it that way too this day, and you were mentioning the stigmatising side of the old words i just pointed out that with the old language it'd be harder to justify the welfare reforms

We toss around these words such as "dementia" as a way to rationalize the irrational. Funny thing is that the very word "dementia" when translated from the originating Latin, means "irrational or mad". So we are already doubly fucking ourselves if we try to rationalize the irrational. I don't write this to diminish those who have experiences trying to prove the irrational or rational, but to clarify what is going on. The very term "irrational" means that which is not rational. It is a sate of being that is not resolvable with rational reasoning. Probably because that was over utilized and the the only resort left was madnesses.

Imagine, if you will, you live in a world of color blind people, that can on see in black and white and you saw more of the spectrum, maybe you saw a family picture where everyone in it was a stranger. Maybe you forgot everyone to such detail and with such abandon, that you became an inhabitant in womb again. Imagine that process.

Imagine one day your husband, who liked his carrots diced and asked you to do so, came back to overlook your work and found they were left whole and he yelled at you because you didn't follow his very orderly command. Imagine your semi schizophrenic son watched this ordeal of his mother, whom had carried his body from egg to birth... in her body for nine months, suffering every growth spurt, kick, and mourning sickness away from the free girl she once was. Maybe that schizophrenic son whom your worst fear is that he would loose control now, would take the time to make whole your waxed carrot at every opportunity he had.

Old age is funny situation if you look at it. We experience it in stages and starts. At this point in my life I forget somethings and remember others. I hope to one day forget everything, and express the love my mother has up to this point towards me, in this very frightening ordeal called "her dementia".

By the way there has been lots of scary moments for me too. It seems there will be a lot more scary moments in the future. But for right now, lets not freak out if our carrots are diced or left whole. Lets not freak out if while we think we are whole, we don't remember and respect those that bore so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12