Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Coping Strategies for Voice Hearing

shotme

I have found a way that when in public talking back to them or repeating what they say to use a mobile to the ear, this way people will think one is on the phone.
      Likes N/A, May liked this post.

My Mood
      Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by shotme View Post
      I have found a way that when in public talking back to them or repeating what they say to use a mobile to the ear, this way people will think one is on the phone.
      I am too shy to do that. The voices are hear, are more distant and muffled now. Less direct.

I am trying some of that bin-aural beats - its interesting.

HI all,

I had forgotten to mention, that when listening to music, I will use my personal cd player, in at home, not on the bus or train because I wouldn't be able to hear announcements otherwise, in at airports, pre and just after checking in, maybe just after checking in, for a flight, and also on the aircraft. I will then listen to my personal cd player, in the hotel lounges, whilst waiting to check in, if we had a wait, for me to be able to do that, in hotel room, and also by the poolside. but certainly not in restaurants. In the early years of my mental health brewing up I suffered with a lot of anxiety - then I attempted to use my walkman in restaurants for the purposes whilst waiting; I don't need to do that so much now.

Listening to music I feel, and always has done, been able to keep me calmer, much more relaxed, and to keep the sczhophrenic side hearing voices, or voice hearing, at bay, so that they don't flare up.

Natalie Berg.
      Likes N/A, burt tomato liked this post.

My Mood
      Relaxed

Bootoblue, are you seeing them with your eyes open or closed? Are you in a dimly lit room? Are you alone? I have had visuals as well but usually in very dim light or when I have my eyes closed I see shadows around me that seem to be beating me... I get them to stop by getting one person that I trust in my mind and he helps to protect me from them until they go away. I don't know if it will help you but it's worth a try... after all this is all just our own thoughts turning us against ourselves... it's pretty unbelievable that our own mind can literally make us crazy.
      Likes N/A liked this post.

Hi, I have realized my voices stop when I am actively thinking about something else, read a book, really focus on another topic. I think I hear the voices more when my mind is free, it starts wandering around freely and that frustrates me. I thought I started hearing them a year ago but remember on and off moments since 2009. Just want to be ok again.

My Mood
      Amazed

I find when the voices are loud and persistent there is not much I can - bar sleeping or sitting doing nothing.

In general I am trying to adjust my life in a longer term while hoping that the voices will eventually cease, or at least become more bearable.
      Likes Tunca, N/A liked this post.

My Mood
      Doh

I've been experimenting with chanting and throat singing, and have found them very effective not just against voices but against all kinds of mental noise and energetic obstacles in the body and head. If you have a thick, sandy feeling in the head, a trapped feeling, or the idea of partitions or obstacles filling you up, then a good throat singing session can clear you right up.

I use this YouTube video to chant along to, it was excellent this morning:

One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
      - Carl Gustav Jung
      Thanks N/A gave thanks for this post.

Default Shouting out

Quote Originally Posted by wellness View Post
      Hi boottoblue,
      You're absolutely right !! "Shouting" at the "Voices" will not work at all .. you will only be driving yourself mad and come off as a fool blabbering away ... the best strategy ultimately is to "Develop the insight" and IGNORE them !!...
      Cheerio !!
      Hi

This is what my Husband is doing of late and shouting out back at his voices. I do not think he has any insight into it though is able to open up to me and tell me "people are telling him to f..k off". Neighbours, people walking past, whilst driving with windows up etc. Past yr has become more often. Been occurring for a couple of yrs. Though he believes it's happening, and denies that no one is around when he hears it. Not sure of my avenue on what to do? He lacks sleep, is stressed so has all the elements that add up to this. I guess he brushes it off and I ignore it as such and just say what ever when it happens(meaning I don't read into it) and we just change the topic. Maybe it's more me worried than it actually effecting him at all? If this is possible Should I just ignore it, knowing that he hears these but doesn't on the front seem to phase him? Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post?

My Mood
      Doh

Hi Forever78, this thread is more for accumulating people's tips and tricks that they have found help them with coping with their voice hearing. For specific advice about your husbands case you're better off making a separate thread maybe under the Hearing Voices forum.

Hope this helps, and welcome
      One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
      - Carl Gustav Jung

Great thanks!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast