Thread: Mental health problems from marijuana

Default Mental health problems from marijuana

Hi, I am a 19 year old college sophomore and I think I may have ruined my brain from smoking weed... hopefully it is temporary but I want to hear what other people say because I have been very concerned about my mental health recently.

From ~March to May I smoked a lot of weed. I was typically noticeably high for several hours a day, everyday. During finals weeks, I binged on Adderall one day and during the comedown, I smoked some weed and had a panic attack. This was the scariest experience of my life. For several hours I was extremely paranoid. The next day I was fine, but I have noticed that ever since that day I have been a more anxious person. When I do smoke now, I have to control the environment in a certain way or else I will be uncomfortable and get too paranoid.

My main issue is how my thought process has changed. I used to think a lot, but never noticed the internal dialogue that went on between myself and myself. Now, sometimes I will hear my thoughts as a voice inside my head. Maybe this happens to everyone and I only just noticed it, but after 19 years of thinking the same way, it scares me that I only now notice that I can "hear" my thoughts inside of my head.

I want all of the thinking to stop...all I ever do anymore is think. I think I am depressed now and I do not know why, but maybe that is also from the heavy marijuana use. I have not read about anyone becoming depressed from weed though, so I think the depression has been there.

This was pretty stream of consciousness, but I'd appreciate any feedback. And yes I do plan to stop smoking weed if this continues to affect my well-being.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by Earn Success View Post
      This was pretty stream of consciousness, but I'd appreciate any feedback. And yes I do plan to stop smoking weed if this continues to affect my well-being.
      Everyone is individual & has different make ups. Drugs can have profound long & short term effects on our well being & functioning. I'm not sure that it can all be divorced from everything else in our lives?

I used to smoke cannabis very heavily, for around 17 years, & drink a lot & take a lot of other drugs. It has done something to me; even after now being clean & sober 12 years.

The only way you can really address it all is by staying off everything & trying to heal & recover from it.

In some cases such drug use maybe does trigger other stuff in people? Or bring stuff out. It does open doors, but that is what psychoactives are designed to do. Cannabis isn't really just 'smoke it & feel mellow' your dealing with a highly complex, potentially powerful & multiple psychoactive effect drug.

My Mood
      Crappy

Smoke it and i dont feel like shit well until the high is gone but at least thats a little break from suicidal thoughts were i can giggle until i nearly wet myself...

I used to hate the stuff but i see why people smoke it now
      Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by loulabelle View Post
      Smoke it and i dont feel like shit well until the high is gone.......were i can giggle until i nearly wet myself...
      Hope it always remains like that for you when you smoke it.

My Mood
      Blah

I have used medical marijuana here in the states. There is a huge difference in different kinds of pot. Some is very mellow and some are hi static and some get you hiiiiiiighhhhh and then mellow ..... I think the edibles were very mellow and since I didn't smoke it I din't have the problem with the carcengenics.

I decided for myself that I was getting addicted to it. I bought it first for pain and it didn't do anything for it.
      I recently had some smoke and it got me jittery and then mellow. This was also medical marijuana that my husband kept from a couple years ago. I go so frustrated with him trying to medicate me in this way that I finally flushed it down the toilet. I had asked him when I gave it to him 2 years ago to flush it that I hated it and did not want it! no he gives it to me whenever I ask him for it so I flushed it myself!!!!!

I'm glad to be weed free, sh free for now and no alcohol. We'll see where that leads me! Ihope it leads me to good places. I apparently became a drug seeker. I also at times abused my pain meds. I've made my husband (he always did hold them but I always could find them) keep them and hide them well. I now use them when I NEED one for pain. Otherwise I Just DEAL WITH IT.

Drugs, sex, alcohol, and rock and roll....ha ha are addictive behaviors and its found in what we're running from. What can't we face? What can we not handle in our lives that we have to put a mask on it???

You might ask yourself was it college that is to hard? whats going on with you????

May God walk before you.... b.e.f.
      Likes cpuusage liked this post.

Springer Spaniel

Hi Earn Success, smoking weed can lead to anxiety, depression, paranoia, psychotic episodes, amongst many other things. It can also act as the 'trigger' for those predisposed to mental illnesses including schizophrenia, and you're bang right at the age for this illness.

We all have the thoughts in our head, our conscience thinking out loud, but it's not normal to hear the voices.

To be on the safe side, I'd make an appointment with your GP and describe these symptoms, especially if these voices keep speaking out loud in your mind. And be honest, and tell the doc what triggered this.

And man up, and admit that you're not cut out to handle the psychological effects from drugs. Stay clear.

Best of luck.

My Mood
      Blah

I agree it can cause a lot of problems for our mental health!! I don't think anyone is cut out for the psychological effects of drugs. With that being said tho I drink in the weekends.... I have to escape myself which is really hard cuz I ruminate about things!!

May God walk before you.... b.e.f.

Similar to most things I think...done in moderation it can be good, done to the extremes it can be a very dangerous drug. I have used it for both recreation and as a crutch....recreation was ace for me, but when I got to the point of living on it and needing it...this was when it went wrong in my experience.

What bothers me is when people (nobody here, just in general) say 'weed isn't addictive', or 'nobody has ever died from cannabis'...or the many other blase comments about weed...in my opinion it can be a very very draining and dangerous drug...only because I went down that route and lost quite a lot of money, time, health and basic life....all from the good old weed
      Likes cpuusage liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Earn Success View Post

Hiya dude, i would love to know how you are now ?

Stopping all narcotics was the best thing i ever did.

I have really bad anxiety and mental health issues from smoking cannabis.

I am seven years completely sober and i still struggle with the consequences.

I hope you saw the light and stopped.. !