Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

My Mood
      Fine

Default Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

David Carbonell, a psychologist who does a lot of work around anxiety has published a useful page on his website which helps one understand the difference between anxiety and depression. Take a read .... you may find it useful.

http://www.anxietycoach.com/anxiety-and-depression.html

ACCOUNT CLOSED
      My Mood
      Confused

Thanks for that. I could relate to the depression lifting when the anxiety is treated....I've always been puzzled as to why I get so much better with SSRIs and wonder if something like Diazepam would do the same job in a shorter term dose. It's the calming down that makes the difference with me and getting myself out of the mire of anxiety which feels so horribly overwhelming.
      Useful article.
      x
      Likes brainretrainer liked this post.

My Mood
      Pensive

ok, I read the article... it's very interesting. but I'm not sure if i got the point of it.
      My psychiatrist always told me that depression and anxiety they usually happen together, one comes after the other. It seems that anxiety may come first and then depression as a consequence from the frustration, that happens when the anxiety disorder became something quite serious.

One thing I don't know if I agree or understood about that...
      I get anxious not only because I'm uncertain of the future but mostly because I already know what will happen - I will fail (it says there this is what happens only with depression). This is the fear of failure, repetition, an eternal cycle. Anxiety disorders are mostly triggered by traumatic past experiencies it gets registered in our mind, whether we're fully aware or not.
      And we repeat and reproduce them, being sure that is what will happen.

I still think that the line that divides depression and anxiety is a bit blurry. They are kind of...different things, but they act together.

Anyway, i'm not a doctor and probably I'm saying the most absurd thing around here. But this is the conclusion I take from what I experience by myself and other people I know with the same 2 issues.
      Likes judithj, standon liked this post.

Nothing you say is absurd if it is your truth. Fear is fear whether it manifests itself in anxiety, depression or physical illness. However, you can deal with your processes and improve how you feel.

Thanks for sharing the article, for me i got anxiety and i ended up falling in to depression because i didnt know what to do or how to get rid of it at the time

My Mood
      Crappy

Hi I've just read the article and now I am more confused than before. I have been told by my OT that I suffer from anxiety but can sometimes dip into depression. After reading this I feel my symptoms are more depression than anxiety. But I do suffer from bad anxiety attacks as well.

My Mood
      Busy

Anxiety and Depression usually go hand in hand...

Royal College of Psychiatrists say:

'Depression is often accompanied by anxiety, and in these circumstances one of
      three diagnoses can be made: (1) depression; (2) anxiety; or (3) mixed depression and
      anxiety when both are below the threshold for either disorder, dependent upon which
      constellation of symptoms dominates the clinical picture.'
      Last edited by amathus; 17-10-12 at 08:07.
      We are not text books.
      Likes MissKitty, Lillyone, Cry-Baby liked this post.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
      My Mood
      Confused

Quote Originally Posted by qualityfactor View Post
      Anxiety and Depression usually go hand in hand...

Royal College of Psychiatrists say:

'Depression is often accompanied by anxiety, and in these circumstances one of
      three diagnoses can be made: (1) depression; (2) anxiety; or (3) mixed depression and
      anxiety when both are below the threshold for either disorder, dependent upon which
      constellation of symptoms dominates the clinical picture.'
      I think this definition probably answers everyone's questions doesn't it?
      You can be depressed with anxiety or anxious with depression. Alternatively you can
      be diagnosed with just one of them.
      At the end of the day, having the two together is pretty serious and scary and they make
      each other worse.
      x

I would agree with that.On an occasion before when I had depression,it started off with anxiety and a panicky feeling and then lead to depression.

My Mood
      Fine

As a young man I would say I had extreme anxiety (both bad and good) Wait...ah well. I still had a zest for what life was had in store for me. Boy was my head in the sand! As the years dragged on, the anxiety turned all bad and ugly to include depression. For the most part, now I would say I'm mostly depressed. Although I don't currently see a doctor or have updated records really.
      "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast