Thread: Useful Information about Eating Disorders

Default Useful Information about Eating Disorders

Eating Disorders are becoming more common, The numbers of ED cases are growing everyday but its not a case that everyone likes to address to doctors or family! Some people are unaware that they even may have an eating disorder! If you are over-eating or under-eating, These are both dangerous. Eating disorders are most often assoicated to anorexia but this is not true!
      Over Eating is also an ED.

What is an Eating Disorder?

This is a phrase that describes a condition in which an individual engages in disordered eating.
      Eating disorders are not simply poor eating habits but are recognised mental health disorders in which emotional issues manifest in harmful eating habits.

The three most common eating disorders are anorexia nervosa (anorexia), bulimia nervosa (bulimia), and binge eating disorder. Though each of these disorders result in different eating behaviours, each occurs when sufferers can not separate their emotions from their eating habits and this skews the way, and the amount, that they eat. Eating disorders can strike young or old, male or female

Anorexia

Anorexia is an eating disorder in which the sufferer is terrified of gaining weight and decreases the amount of food that They will eat in an attempt to limit weight and body fat. If left unchecked, some anorexics decrease their daily food intake to the point that they literally starve themselves. Even when they are physically wasting away, anorexics perceive themselves as heavy and continue eating as little as possible. Without proper nutrition an anorexic’s internal organs can become damaged and in extreme cases death can result!

Bulimia

Bulimia is an eating disorder where by consuming a great (or little!) amount of food in one sitting and then purging this food by inducing vomiting or taking laxatives and/or diet pills. Often this binging and purging is conducted in secret and the food and laxatives/diet pills are kept hidden. This binging and purging becomes a cycle, but bulimics may never lose, or gain, enough weight to make their eating disorder obvious. Bulimia also brings a host of associated health concerns, particularly due to the constant purging that can damage the digestive tract, mouth, teeth and salivary glands. The cycle of binging and purging may also result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies that could eventually lead to heart damage and/or heart attacks. Some bulimics may not purge after a binge but instead fast or exercise excessively to burn off calories. These behaviours can also lead to anorexic tendencies or a “switch” in eating disorders to anorexia!

Binge Eating

Similarly to bulimics, those suffering from binge eating disorders consume vast amounts of food at one sitting. However, unlike bulimics, they do not follow this by purging or ridding themselves of this food afterwards. Binge eaters can suffer from side effects such as obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease and are also at risk of developing bulimic tendencies to investigate methods of purging and anorexic behaviours such as avoiding food and severely limiting calories. Unfortunately, because many binge eaters can be severely overweight, these behaviours are not often discovered until a significant amount of weight has been lost through unhealthy means! Often binge eaters will hide the food on which they binge and lie about what they have eaten, Many binge eaters also voice negative opinions about their appearance, express a desire to lose weight or diet, and avoid exercising in public.

Eating disorders are both physically and mentally harmful! it is very rare that someone suffering from an eating disorder will recognise these risks and ask for help on their own. Instead, it is often family and friends who will need to intervene and find help for anorexics, bulimics and binge eaters.

If Any of The above Sounds like You or a Loved one - Please seek help as soon as possible! I know as well as anyone that it is easier said than done, But nothing feels better than leading a healthy lifestyle!
      Individuals come in so many shapes and sizes!

'Healthy is often related to thin - This is NOT the case! Being healthy is about enjoying and looking after your body!

You are NOT 'unusual' for looking the way that you do, Every single human on this earth is beautiful in their own way! If you wish to lose weight, Or gain weight .. Do it sensibly!
      There are many exercises that are fun at just right for you! You dont have to join a gym or do any such thing! Walking when its a nice day, going skiing, putting on the wii fit is all a form of exercise. Make exercise to suit you, your lifestyle and personallity.

There are millions of recipes out there! You dont need to give up the chocolate!
      Moderation is key. Its easy to eat something in one sitting (iv been there!) but brake some of the food up and save some for tomorrow, it will give you something to look forward to and you will burn off what you have eaten that day!
      Food CAN be fun. You can make your own pizza with your own desired toppings and make it as healthy as you want! Home cooking is always a great thing, its a good distraction and it gives you something to feel proud of - you also know what is going in to what you are eating!

You CAN make life enjoyable!

Remember that everyone is unique, everyone is beautiful, and you can rock your look no matter what shape or size you are!

If you are concerned about yourself or a loved one - please see your family GP or find someone you trust to talk to!

If you post on the forum we will be compassionate and understanding, you are not here to be judged! Alot of people eel the exact same way, share your issues and we will be here to help you along the way!

If You have any more useful tips, Or helpful comments please dont hesitate to post!

Angel x
      Last edited by TiredTina; 18-01-17 at 18:50.
      "And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
      Likes Rowan, strangegirl, N/A liked this post.
      Hug MentemCor hugged this poster.

Right Some more useful Information to add!

Making Food Fun

Whether it's a child or adult, Food can be a tough subject. Too little Or too much! We cant win!

It has been proven that eating 6 small meals a day is very good for your metabolism - alot of Athletes recommend it! Of course, you don't have to be an athlete to want to make long term life improvements!

Dont think of this as a 'Diet' think of it as a Lifestyle change
      Diets are often up and down, all over the place and random. If you make a lifestyle change.. Then its permanent and it is a much better frame of mind to think in!
      Now im not going to ramble on about eating all your fruit and veg and cutting out the junk .... Junk food is good! We all know it!

Making a lifestyle change is very easy! Do not bin all the stuff you have knocking around, Just start making more things from scratch!
      We all know eating chocolate isnt good for us, but it is a nice pleasure. Maybe one evening microwave a few cubes of chocolate for a few seconds and dip a few strawberries in it! Its healthy and its a treat!

Basic meals should be eaten reguarly. We need foo keep up our energy, Food is our bodys fuel. Not to mention the vitamins and nutrients we need from this!
      Food is not your enemy!
      An average person can eat 1200 cal a day and still lose weight!

Food is not evil, We all know what its like to skip a meal or two. Your body begins to suffer.. Most often your body will begin breaking up proteins in your body and begin to eat itself if constant malnutrition carries on. The parts of your body that will be digested includes Muscle, Fat and your Liver!!!
      I you eat too much, It can cause more stress on your body aswell!

So making food fun is pretty simple. Get cooking! There are millions of food recipes online all suited for your tastes. If you are a pizza person, Buy a pizza base or make one, Get some chopped tomato and make a sauce, put on some cheese and load it with fresh ingredients!

The best thing about home cooking is that you KNOW what is going into your food, You KNOW what is good for you and what is not and also making a tasty meal can make you feel really good about yourself!

Exercise

Exercise DOES NOT have to be running for miles.. (no thanks!)

Exercise can be a nice walk, Playing outside with your child, Going out with friends ... You can burn calories doing anything! Even fidgeting at work can burn loads of calories!

The best exercise though, is something which raises your heart rate. This is more for keeping your heart healthy and maintaining good circulation.

Dont feel threatened by exercise.. I hated exercising outside because i was too worried of people looking at me, So i got on the wii fit!
      Its all about finding exercises suited to you!! I am a young woman and my fun idea of exercise is lifting weights at home and doing push ups and crunches until i feel sick, wheras my sisters favourite exercise is .... well she likes sitting around

This does not only keep us healthy and able to fit into our best clothes, It makes us feel good about ourselves. Exercise has been proven to beat depression and low self asteem. All around - it makes us feel better about ourselves.

Some Random Words

If we dont eat - we are much more likely to eat away the muscle that our body contains rather than the fat. If you are looking to lose fat the best method is diet and exercise!
      This is because your body will Put on muscle from the exercise, Muscle helps burn fat as well as the exercise sessions. So overall muscle is your friend and key to weight loss.
      Im not saying 'become a bodybuilder!'
      Simple toning exercises can help strengthen your muscles and this will improve there function, making you more flexable, less prone to aches and pains and also it will help you in the long run!

CUT BACK ON FIZZY DRINKS!
      It has been said that if you cut down on fizzy drinks you can lose alot of weight! I gave up the coke and i did see an improvement!

HEALTHY

Healthy is NOT 'thin'

Healthy is being happy, enjoying life, Having a good diet and overall a good lifestyle.
      People often mistake healthy for thin and this is not true. Infact, Alot of the thin people i know .. including myself, are very unhealthy people!

Keep Your Chin Up Beautiful
      Last edited by TiredTina; 18-01-17 at 18:57.
      "And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
      Thanks Starless, oxana gave thanks for this post.

I have suffered eating disorders until now. I do exercise, but when I feel depression, I gained weight and eat a lot.

I eat few but didn't think it's a kind of eating disorder. Though I am trying to recover myself. After reading this post, get some ideas too. Thanks a bunch.

Default Symptoms of an Eating Disorder

I want to share some more information about eating disorder.

Symptoms of an Eating Disorder:

A man or woman affected by an eating disorder might reveal many signs and symptoms, some of which are:

*Chronic diet despite being hazardously underweight
      *Constant weight fluctuations
      *Obsession with calories and fat contents of food
      *Engaging in ritualistic eating patterns, like cutting food into small pieces, eating alone, and/or hiding food
      *Continued fixation with food, recipes, or cooking; the individual might cook intricate meals for others but refrain from partaking
      *Depression or lethargic stage
      *Avoidance of social functions, family, and friends. may become isolated and withdrawn
      *Switching between periods of overeating and fast