Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornwall

Question Cornwall

Hello Everyone It's about time Cornwall had it's own area. There are a lot of changes taking place. We have some professionals who are stopping Service Users from becoming enabled. Not sure if the are a little fearful for their jobs.

Of course that not the reason why service users and carers need a better voice. We are often the experts of our own issues, but sometimes need others to help us through the crisis.

Have lots of ideas to share and how to move the who Emotional/Mental Health thing forward.

Well first post so better not bore you all to much.

(((((Huggie 4 all))))))

Hi babycplay and to MHF
      Unfortunately I am not in Cornwall, but just wanted to you and send a
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. (Plato)

hi, i live in cornwall!!!

honeysweet xx

Smile Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYSWEET View Post
      hi, i live in cornwall!!!

honeysweet xx

Hello Honeysweet,

Welcome to the group. I have been rather busy, so haven't done much in promoting this forum. Just had some respite, hope to get things up and running around mid June, when I have a little time to do a bit of media publicity.

Are you active with the service user movement in Cornwall?

It could do with a lot more support.

Take care.

hiya

i have no idea wot the service user movement in Cornwall is, can u tell me more plz

xx

Post Service User Movement

hiya

i have no idea wot the service user movement in Cornwall is, can u tell me more plz

xx
      Well there are a number of service user initiatives in Cornwall. About 16 years ago a number of service users use to meet informally and weren't too happy with services.

Meetings were arranged with the Chief Executive of the NHS Trust and the County Council. It was decided that a sum of money would be put aside to support service users and encourage them to come up with new ideas.

The first of these was a group entitled "Talking Heads" in Camborne, from this a drop in centre for one day a week was started in Redruth called "The West End Club" and in Camelford "The Camel Club"

It was felt that a co-ordinator was required to assist service users to become more effective and to grow more self help group whilst also meeting with Senior figures in both Social Services and the Health Service.

We had a large input to the 1999 Mental Health Service Framework, also in the building layout of two new hospitals. We held surveys and meetings to find out what other service users and carers wanted.

From these consultative meetings "Nightlink" ( a talking telephone service was started for users and carers, who just wanted to talk with someone, this being run by service users. Also a respite house was purchased (Oakleigh House) this again is staffed by non professionals, service users and ex-service users.

We are trying to get a "Crisis House" and better facilities for people with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). We look at all manner of issues and still meet with senior managers. We have a number of self help groups and anyone who wants to start one up are encouraged. The sugestion will come to the Service user group and we will discuss the proposal and allocate resources for it.

Things are not perfect by a long shot, but they are better than when I first had problems. I will continue to fight for better services and care, do hope a lot more people will join in.

Love & Peace Ray J.

sounds good

oakley and nightlink are a godsend

how could u get involved in this?

x

Default Oakleigh & Nightlink

sounds good

oakley and nightlink are a godsend

how could u get involved in this?

x

Hi Honeysweet,

I don't know if you know, but Oakleigh and Nightlink came about because of the Service User Forums in cornwall. We are still fighting for a Crisis House to be set up, maybe on similar terms of Oakleigh. Though Oakleigh and Nightlink are now becoming independent of Cornwall Partnership Trust and the Rural Community Council. It will be run as a Social Enterprise business, with service user input.

There are many things happening at last starting to happen in Cornwall. Last years suicide figures were once again some of the worse in the Country. National average 8 for every 100,000 population, whilst Cornwall it was 15 for every 100,000. So a lot of things need to be put in place, a new Expert By Experience group is being set up by CPT. Do you want to get involved with that? I'm hoping to be involved with the Personality Disorders group, I have it and have researched BDP for the last forty years, I do have a fair knowledge on the issue. I am already on the Suicide Prevention Stratergy workgroup, plus a few others.

Anyone in Cornwall who want to become involved either with the Service User Forums or LINk in Cornwall, where I am joint co-ordinator for Mental Health, Learning Disablities, Drugs & Alcohol, Eldercare and Vulnerable people.
      Could do with some support.

Take Care

Default Needing Help

There is a new service user group being set up in Cornwall. It is part of a national / global community group. Because of the lack of action in Cornwall, they are hoping to make this the first of many groups to be set up and linked together across the UK. It is run as a social enterprise, so it is independent of anything else.

Catch up on the website they are building, give it a bashing and let them see what is and what isn't working before it goes live later this year.

http://www.sun-cornwall.com

Hope all is well.

((((Huggies for all))))

Question Service User group / peer to peer support

Hi all, everything is getting very hectic down here. the old service users forums were just stopped in May. We all received a letter to say there will not be another Service User Representative Group meeting until the autumn.

Well I cannot just put my life on hold whilst someone has a whim to go on a jolly around the country to see how other areas run THEIR affairs.

Service Users Forums have always been Service User lead and that is the purpose behind them. We use to be alone, then it was thought it would be good for someone to be co-ordinator to support and enable us. That was great and I believe the right thing to do, then it was all change two years ago. Now we are managed, the whole system, whilst not perfect, it was fit for the job, has fallen apart. It seems like 16 years have been wasted.

Many of the long term service users reps were just cast aside and rejected. There are a few of us who its hit very hard and affected our well-being. So I was greatful when I come across this new Nationwide Service user set up Service User Network UK. It is for all people involved with mental well-being, whether a service user, carer, family or professional, peer to peer supporters. It also crosses the boundaries of Mental Health, Personality Disorder, Learning Disability, Drugs and Alcohol. There is no judgement regarding sex, religion, well-ablement or anything else, everyone is treated equally and uniquely.

Basically the idea is every County will have their own website, but it will link to a Country one. Cornwall is the first trail set up, to see if this is what people want, or how can it be improved.

So if you can visit the site and leave comments on what is missing and what can be improved or maybe there is somethin their you think shouldn't. Any positive critisim would be well received.

The trial site, which is still being built, can be found at;
      www.sun-cornwall.com

i have just tried the main site, but it is down for some reason, this can be found at: www.sun-unitedkingdom.com

Who wants to get involved???? Yes Please

Take care all

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast