Thread: Bipolar Disorder and PTSD

My Mood
      Amazed

Default Bipolar Disorder and PTSD

In one study of 60 patients with BPD, 23 (38%) fulfilled the diagnostic criteria for at least one personality disorder. Those personality disorders most commonly were: narcissistic, borderline, antisocial, avoidance disorder and obsessive-compulsive. In my case the obsessive-compulsive personality disorder(OCPD) and post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD) have been the most dominant and especially after the age of 60. The presence of these disorders sometimes make BPD symptoms more intense and more difficult to treat and they appear to increase the risk of suicide, but not in my case. I will deal with suicidal ideation later in the account of my chaos narrative.(but not in this post at this site) This account is about BPD and by a person with BPD and it only ventures into these several other psychiatric illnesses and personality disorders to a limited extent and only from time to time when it seems relevant. I deal with these personality disorders in my life briefly in the next several sections before continuing this account of BPD, but not in this post.
      -----------------------
      25 Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD) and borderline personality disorder(or BoPD) commonly co-occur and they often co-occur in the lives of BPD sufferers. Borderline personality disorder(BoPD) has been receiving increased attention within the media over the years. It has been featured in movies such as Girl Interrupted, as well as articles in the New York Times and popular magazines such as O Magazine. I possess five symptoms of borderline personality disorder(I use the acronym BoPD to differentiate it from bipolar disorder’s acronym-BPD). These symptoms are as follows:

1. A pattern of unstable, intense, and stormy relationships where the person may frequently shift between idealizing and devaluing their partner. With the increase in effexor in September 2010 this tendency, only occurring it would seem when my effexor levels are too low, has been eliminated.

2. Being impulsive in ways that are problematic or damaging. This tendency, too, is alleviated by the increase in effexor medication.

3. Frequent and intense mood swings. This tendency, too, is alleviated by the increase in effexor medication.

4. The intense experience of anger and/or difficulties controlling anger. This tendency, too, is alleviated by the increase in effexor medication.

5. A paranoia that comes and goes as a result of experiencing stress. This tendency, too, is alleviated by the increase in effexor medication.

To receive a diagnosis of BoPD, a person needs to exhibit these 5 symptoms from a long list of others. Of course, as with all mental disorders, only a mental health professional can provide a formal diagnosis of BoPD. BoPD has been found among people with PTSD and vice versa. Why are these two disorders so inter-related? BoPD and PTSD have both been found to stem from the experience of traumatic events. The thoughts, feelings, and behaviours seen in BoPD are often the result of childhood traumas. These childhood traumas may also place a person at risk for developing PTSD. In fact, people with both BoPD and PTSD report the earlier experience of trauma as compared to people with just PTSD. My impulsive behaviours and, to some extent, unstable relationships may be part of BPD or they may have no relationship with borderline personality disorder(BoPD).
      --------------MORE TO COME IF DESIRED----------------
      Last edited by RonPrice; 06-05-11 at 08:46. Reason: to add some words
      married for 45 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 13, and a Baha'i for 53.(in 2012)