Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can Trichotillomania be associated with ptsd?

Default can Trichotillomania be associated with ptsd?

i have been diagnosed with ptsd, as i suffer from flashbacks after long term abuse, during these flashbacks i pull out my hair. I never thought about doing it before it just happened. since i have seen a documentory about trichotillomania and discovered i have had symptons for years for example i have twisted and played with my hair since i was in nursery! so i was wondering if anyone else knows of anything similar to this? is it heard of? anything asscosciating would help. Feel quitte alone with this

Hey there,
      i think trichotillomania mostly occurs in children and apparently they grow out of it, im not sure i dont know too much about it, but im pretty much an expert on PTSD having suffered with it for what feels like a lifetime. I know that when your going through a particularly hard time with ptsd pretty much anything can happen. Various forms of self harm, mutilation to just completley losing the plot. It could be Ptsd, but i the hair pulling seems a little unusual to me. You could get some advice off a doctor?
      "And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."

hi, thanks, im sixteen and as far as i know i definatley have ptsd i was diagnosed over a year ago and admitted to a phyciatric hospital. my hair pulling only occurs during these flashbacks, alough i do sometimes get the urge to pull it out at other times the fact that i am aware of myself and the shame i feel enables me to prevent myself but during the flashbacks i have no control. i donot understand it and it makes me feel like a freak. as far as i know im the only person? :/

im sixteen too, and believe me your not a freak!! ive done weirder things when ive gone through a bad day of ptsd :S it can be pretty crap but everyone reacts to stress diffrently
      "And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."

really?, yeah i have done some pretty bad things during bad patches its just weird how the hairpulling doesn't seem known. but yeah i guess i should just accept it and keep trying to figure out how to get better. so do you have any advice on how to prevent flashbacks?

im afraid not, If they mostly occur at night when your trying to get to sleep the best way to prevent them is to be relaxed as possible, maybe make a routine of relaxing things like a nice meal/drink, bath, a nice film and then get into bed when you feel sleepy. If your difficult like me and they come during lessons at school, then theres no way out of it i think. So far ive realised if you keep your mind busy on something then its less likely to happen.
      i know that that hair pulling disorder can be recognised, if you do things like pull out your eyelashes or maybe pluck your eyebrows a bit obsessivley. i think if it begins to get really serious you should look into it being a possibility, but if its nothing to worry about too much then just relax a little and think of it as a bad ptsd thing

thankyou and yes i know exactly what you mean about during lessons at school and to make things worse i developed these symptons only a few months after starting a new school 250 miles away from all my friends and everything i knew. including my family as i came into care two weeks after moving. I do try to keep myself busy but consentration is quite hard at the moment too. I think doing something physical is probably the best thing so far but i am the worst at sports or anything like that

if your going through GCSE's at the moment i offer you so much sympathy. im piled with coursework and the knowlage that my future lies in a few crappy exams in the summer... Ptsd just makes everything worse :S

no i think im the year above you i ended up doing my gcse's in the hospital so obviously wasnt good i managed to scrapee a c im eng but if i was well i would have done so much better my future is so bleak at the moment i tried to go college for a bit but my concentration and flashbacks wwere making things bad so i donot know what to do now. when i left the hospital things seemed so much better i think living so close to my family is making things worse as i was abused ny my dad and now i see him in the street its so scary tell me if i should stop i dont want to upset you

oh believe me its fine, ive come to terms with my abuse and i was abused by family too, my step brother. I know how you feel apart from my brother is currently serving time in prison for what he did. I actually talk about it quite alot on the forum so dont worry about upsetting me. im a tough cookie. Why dont you report him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast