Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I do a course at the Open University if I'm on ESA and PIP?

Founding Member

child poverty action is for parents who the bottom line is a certain fitness for work

Quote Originally Posted by ramboghettouk View Post
      child poverty action is for parents who the bottom line is a certain fitness for work
      That's your opinion Rambo, I do understand where you are coming from, but when someone wants to study to climb out of where they are at, there is nothing wrong with telling them where to find out for themselves.

Ringing ESA/DWP directly is the wrong way to go about it. The OU student services /CPAG are the better people to start with they will know what is do-able.

Hopefully, the young Poster here would like to study and eventually have some fitness for work, if you see where I am coming from.

You might argue that I am giving false aspirations, but I know it can be done, even if they go onto a student loan scheme/ bursary of some kind, that is why I am giving the links. CPAG are a good outfit in my experience.
      Last edited by exyz; 14-01-19 at 13:13.
      Thanks mimipi gave thanks for this post.
      Likes mimipi liked this post.

Founding Member

i wish them luck, it depends on diagnosis, with serious mental illness the chances drop and some would say giving unreal hopes is dangerous

i don't deny even then people can do courses, i remember phoning up the benefit enquiry line and been told if you can be a student full time your fit for work
      Thanks mimipi gave thanks for this post.

My Mood
      Doh

Quote Originally Posted by Passionflower View Post
      I did an OU degree course whilst on ESA but it was 3 years ago and things might have changed. You have to let them know that you are doing a course though.
      My daughter also did an OU degree while on ESA and PIP but again that was a few years ago
      Never fear shadows, they simply mean
      theres a light shining somewhere nearby
      Thanks mimipi, exyz gave thanks for this post.
      Likes exyz liked this post.
      Hug exyz hugged this poster.

Founding Member

i was a young lunatic once, carers hate the old lags like me and what they perceive as our negativity, they don't see it as good for their sufferer

i admit i've friends who've done better, but they've had lucky breaks for various reasons, dare i say it, i've also friends who are dead
      Last edited by ramboghettouk; 14-01-19 at 20:04.

My Mood
      Worried

Thank you for the advice everyone. I haven't called or emailed anyone just yet, I've been feeling a bit low these past couple of days. I will find out what I'm able to do when I'm feeling a bit better though. I'm trying not to dwell too much on the what could have beens had I stayed in school. McDonalds wouldn't even hire me at the moment. It's not a good feeling. I will figure it out though and I really appreciate all the advice I've had
      Thanks exyz gave thanks for this post.
      Hug exyz hugged this poster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12