Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I make my life valuable?

My Mood
      Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by GaryC123 View Post
      It's kind of a long story and gets political so it's probably best not to get into it. I closed my account on FB and don't even visit it anymore. But you're right, it's hard to stay current without FB. I don't know what's going on in my local area in terms of events and things. But I feel better staying off it. I'm just a weirdo from all the abuse I've gone through in life and weird people should keep to ourselves, I think. As the saying now goes; "that which doesn't kill me only makes me weirder and more difficult to relate to". I think there's a LOT of truth to that--even if it's a twisted rip off of Nietzsche's famous phrase.
      To me, Facebook became Toxic, all about getting ' Likes' all day, it became a powerful way of Self-aggrandizing My-self . . . It became so Bad, It Had to Stop x x Some enjoy it, Some don't - - For most people, it's all ego and, vanity x x Quitting Face-book can Definitely be healthy, for Most people - - I Think x xx
      I Want to Know you -- Tell me, The Bad stuff -- Let's talk About It --

But remember, To Share the good things, Little Love--letters, Moments of -- Peace <3 <3<3

To be honest, I don't mind people getting likes or even "self-aggrandizing" themselves. I just don't like being dogpiled over something I said which really shouldn't have been all that bad a thing to say. That's basically what happened to me.
      Last edited by GaryC123; 13-01-19 at 21:35.

My Mood
      Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by GaryC123 View Post
      To be honest, I don't mind people getting likes or even "self-aggrandizing" themselves. I just don't like being dogpiled over something I said which really shouldn't have been all that bad a thing to say. That's basically what happened to me.
      I Think, I understand - They were on your case,Right ??

But remember, To Share the good things, Little Love--letters, Moments of -- Peace <3 <3<3

Quote Originally Posted by Jbb79 View Post
      I Think, I understand - They were on your case,Right ??
      I got "called out" by a group of what many these days call "SJWs", except all I did was question their interpretation of an incident that happened in the news, which I still think they were over-reacting to. But they were calling me a "misogynist" for questioning it.

Anyway, now I feel the need to go into more detail. It was when that priest put his arm around Ariana Grande on stage at the event honoring Aretha Franklin. They were accusing the man of sexual "assault" and that he was "groping" her. I said it didn't look much like "groping" to me, and didn't look like "assault" to me, although I did concede that ideally he maybe shouldn't have put his arm around her. But I didn't think it was that big a deal.

I felt bad for the poor guy who was being raked over the coals all over the news I was seeing and videos and memes people were putting on FB. He issued an apology a day or two latter and people were still giving the poor guy a difficult time. Like what he did was utterly inexcusable and would follow him everywhere he went for the rest of his life.

I used to attend local open mic events for poetry and stuff. That's where I knew the people who "called me out" from. That's how we got linked on FB from meeting them there. Now I'm afraid to go to any of those events because I worry people there are going to start jeering at me. Worse I fear someone is going to get up on stage and start reciting stuff about me. One of the "poets" on FB wrote a poem in reference to me and posted it on a local poetry page, citing me as symptomatic of what women in the #Metoo movement were reacting to.

And because I was involved in the mental health community as a volunteer at the time, I had to answer to a few rape survivors who were posting on my FB page. Ironically all of the rape survivors were sympathetic toward me and were on my side, but still I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable with all the attention and explaining myself. I mean, maybe I should have just said nothing and let people just go on about that poor priest. But something in me wanted to speak up.

Anyway, I quit my volunteering position because I felt too uncomfortable with it and just dropped off the map after that. I didn't want to go out or be around people. I still sort of don't. But I've returned a little to the support groups, but just as a regular attendee. (I used to help facilitate the groups.)
      Likes Jbb79 liked this post.

My Mood
      Cheerful

You Sound sane, To me <3 <3<3

Thanks GaryC123 gave thanks for this post.
      Hug GaryC123 hugged this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbb79 View Post
      You Sound sane, To me <3 <3<3
      Thank you. I appreciate the reassurance. I'm getting there. Things will get better and so will I.
      Thanks Jbb79 gave thanks for this post.
      Likes Pollypop liked this post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123