Thread: Fear, the puzzle piece that creates complexity

Default Fear, the puzzle piece that creates complexity

I write this as nothing more than food for thought. I also speak as someone who was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder. I, as this person, think that early-undealt with fear may be the root cause of anxiety. Wait – hear me out. I am correct in stating that everything starts somewhere and everything has a cause. Why is it that in this day and age, although the mental health stigma has been detached, the prevalence of mental health disorders has run rampant. Poor mental health has almost become popularized.

That being said, this isn’t an implication that anxiety disorders and related disorders are caused by the desire for attention- not quite. I believe that it runs deeper than that. I believe that it runs within the realms of undealt with childhood fear. That fears carries over, becomes more complex, and builds itself into your psychology. I know that this is applicable to myself. Fear began due to being shown horror movies at a young age. Then it continued on in themes. The fear of rejection during P.E. Perhaps the fear of being inadequate thus causing isolation, isolation causing the loss of social skills and then further anxiety.

This was early on, fast forward to high school and I had avoided and experienced great amounts of anxiety during most things, and I never had anyone to counsel me through this. So, it spiraled further. I developed the fear of failure and performance anxiety. This corrupted my memory and corrupted my confidence in my academics. I was fragile. I was under-performing, and I was often told that I was intelligent, which made me doubt my sanity, because I was under-performing. I needed early-intervention counselling. The longer you leave it the more it accrues. I somehow made it through high school with this crippling fear.

Throughout my high school years, I developed tactics to deal with the anxiety. I became ‘obsessive’ and ‘nit picky’. I was obsessed with order and doing this the right way, developing black and white thinking to try to create sanity in a world where I felt insane. I was emotionally unstable because of constant stress and I went through bouts of depression. All of this built into a method of overthinking. I used overthinking as a way of coping with everything that I feared. I felt that if I could understand everything, I would perhaps be less fearful. This of course was never sufficient, and this of course never truly worked. It was exhausting.

Now years have past since high school, and I’ve been a very dysfunctional adult. This all could have been avoided if, as an anxious 10-year-old, I was given healthy coping and overcoming strategies for my fear. Instead, as a misguided child I developed my brain and myself in a dysfunctional way in an effort to combat this Goliath that I have built over the years. The bigger he got, the worse it got. This is the point that I am making. Yes, brain scans show that brain activity is different, but this was caused by something, and studies have also shown that it can change. You quite literally just have to google it.

There are other reasons I will acknowledge. Childhood abuse, negligence, trauma, stressful living circumstances and a lot of other things can cause anxiety disorders too, I completely acknowledge this. However, anxiety is not a death sentence and there is a way out. We need to realize that the only reason that fear is our ‘master’ is because we appointed it as such; but we didn’t know better. Now we do, and we have access to the knowledge required to dethrone this tyrant. We are not victims.

Stay strong
      The curious case of life - living and the rest of it.
      Likes Jbb79 liked this post.

Lovely post, troubleinparadise; a pleasure to read.
      Thanks TroubleinParadise gave thanks for this post.
      Hug Jbb79 hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Cheerful

I Think OCD comes, when we feel over-whelmed, by reality - - to deal with over-load, Sensory, we make Rules or, OCD-Mind-sets, That alleviate them x x
      I Want to Know you -- Tell me, The Bad stuff -- Let's talk About It --

But remember, To Share the good things, Little Love--letters, Moments of -- Peace <3 <3<3
      Likes TroubleinParadise liked this post.

It's funny how those with OCD have often, not always, been noted as having an above average intellect.
      The curious case of life - living and the rest of it.
      Thanks Jbb79 gave thanks for this post.

My Mood
      Cheerful

But, I must Admit, I Think it Can come, from different sources x x My Spelling, is OCD-Determined x x
      I Want to Know you -- Tell me, The Bad stuff -- Let's talk About It --

But remember, To Share the good things, Little Love--letters, Moments of -- Peace <3 <3<3