Thread: Council house application help!

Default Council house application help!

I have had problems for over 20years now and about 10 years ago it started spiralling completely out of control with a lot of negative ways of coping multiplying rapidly. I looked around for a suitable location and found one that should restore my health and enable me to start working again. I have never applied for a council house before so all new but thought I would score full marks I am moving so that I can work, our neighbours turned antisocial this year and my levels of stress have been very high for over 1 1/2 years (flashing lights, shadows, ink running, wounds that have not healed from summer, short nails breaking, hair breaking etc) this is on top of having problems leaving the house, being restricted where I can go so that I dont see people I really shouldnt etc. Also given when I did have a doctor over 2 years ago when my health was better than it is now HE SAID I SHOULD MOVE OUT AND HE WOULD GET ME A NEW HOUSE! And that was just due to my parents. And yet I have been scored 0 for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
      Right at the start I was told for where I wanted to live that was the office I would deal with then after my application they tried to palm me off to a complatly differant area we are talking COMPLEATLY! They have repeatedly refused to give me information eg it says that you can see where you are in the waiting list they will not tell me where I can see this. They were no help at all in trying to choose a suitable location and a house came up that was exactly what I had described to them as I needed and it was first posted as sheltered which by their website I thought meant for old people but recently found out meant for mental health so I said I wanted it they said someone has been offered it and now it has now gone.
      I have been crying in a way that feels like hysteria for some time when I feel like I wont be getting out of here or if I cant find a way to get up there (even when they didnt have something stupid in a supermarket!) Theres no way I can sustain being here for much longer but I am getting no help at all from them in fact they are ignoring my emails, I have noone at all to help me and trying to do this is my trigger. My options are looking like buy a tent to live in, buy a van to live in or kill myself. If I choose the first two I will have to sell all my things and I will not be working any time soon because I will never be in a position to buy it all again, to be fair not a single thing has happened since my last overdose that would make me think im glad I didnt die I would have missed that. I thought I had chosen well, somewhere that had everything I love most and the people would be like me but its starting to feel just like the hell I am trying to escape from!
      Hug Jemima, unspoken-words hugged this poster.

Hello, I have some experience in housing. I can offer basic advice but things really vary depending on your personal circumstances, what your local council is like, and what the local housing market is like. You probably have three options, and how they work out depends on the law and council rules rather than what your actual reality is, sadly. I recommend you find a local housing or advice charity who can help you with this process. But the three options are:

1. apply as homeless, or threatened with homelessness. This will depend on your current situation, your local connection, whether you are eligible, and whether you have a priority need. If you have a CPN or other worker, they may be able to help you with this process and showing that your current housing is unsuitable, and that you are in priority need, which can mean different things. If you are homeless and don't meet these criteria, the council don't have to help you much. If they decide you are homeless and meet their criteria, they should find you emergency accommodation, which probably won't be very nice, but should end up with something better and more secure

2. get on the housing list (you can do both, but its worth taking advice on this) but the wait may be very long and there won't be much choice. It works differently in different areas, and the process can be confusing, so advice and support are good.

3. find private rented accomm. This can seem very difficult, especially in high cost areas. However, sometimes the council will help you find rent in advance and a deposit, rather than have to deal with you as homeless, so it could be worth looking into. Also, you have more say and choice in some respects.

Good luck I hope this was somewhat helpful - probably not as everywhere is so different, and difficult. But keep going, just keep demanding and trying to figure out what boxes need to be ticked. try not to let them get you down, as persistence gets results
      Last edited by Jemima; 07-12-18 at 00:47.

Thank you I recorded some of the neibour kicking off I should use this as evidence, we cant put a compliant in because it will show on when they sell.

I am moving out of area, never been there but private rent is really high I know on benefits it will be paid over a certain amount but thats just not right.

This is on the mind website
      "
      Support in your home
      To maintain your home you need to be able to:

pay bills regularly

live alongside your neighbours

keep your house clean. "

I started hording years ago when the NHS failed to diagnose and treat a dislocted wrist, finger and slipped disk.

I have spending problems

I cant live next door to my neibours because of their antisocial behaviour and that fact is very well known fact I was in hospital for 4 weeks because of that sort of behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And yet I scored 0 points!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by 55555; 07-12-18 at 01:26.

So I just read about "The Consortium for Therapeutic Communities" and thought that might be of some help, read the "In choosing new community members, we will consider people who are:" and I cant apply because I am "to ill" Maybe I will find a cave to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by 55555 View Post
      So I just read about "The Consortium for Therapeutic Communities" and thought that might be of some help, read the "In choosing new community members, we will consider people who are:" and I cant apply because I am "to ill" Maybe I will find a cave to live in.
      Thank you for sharing this resource, I didn't know about it and I am also interested in community living so it is very good to find. However, I'm not sure how much use it will be in your situation, as it seems to be an infrastructural network aimed at supporting the organisations who run or develop such communities, rather than people looking to join them. You can find a list of communities in the UK, including some therapeutic communities, here: Find a community by region | Diggers and Dreamers

However, I think good therapeutic communities are hard to find in the UK. They tend to be expensive, have difficult admission criteria, or to charge fees. Other communities which do not have a therapeutic aspect might also interest you, but this could be difficult to sort out if you are currently feeling like you're in a bit of a crisis. You'd need to sort out how you'd pay rent or whatever might be required, do a lot of research, and probably spend a lot of time getting to know a community you liked before joining. It takes time and energy. For now, you might be best sorting out your immediate housing need and, when more secure, looking for a longer term community option which will best suit your needs.

I think you should contact CAB in your area and ask them for housing advice, or to signpost you to a good charity which offers specific housing advice. Sometimes mental health or other community services offer this sort of thing. Homelessness charities offer don't require you to be living on the streets to access their advice on housing options.

What has made you decide to move to an area you don't have a connection with? It might be easier to stay where you are if you want council help. If you are on the housing list already, which it sounds like you might be, try going back to them and finding out exactly what the process is, and what you'd need to do to go up the list. Hopefully a CPN, social worker, or other such person can attest to the reasons you need housing - but these must be what the council consider relevant to housing. Just having mental health issues isn't enough, unless you have specific health needs. Mental health is a hard one to argue compared to mobility and old age. They probably won't regard nasty neighbours as relevant, but a separate issue to be resolved through the council and/or police (which is almost impossible I know!) Nasty neighbours can pop up anywhere. Finding housing where you feel safe and well supported in your area should help you find resilience and resources to cope with such things.

You could try arguing that your current housing is so unsuitable as to render you homeless, but you'd need to be careful to check the reasons which count, or they might consider you intentionally homeless and not help.

It is frustrating that you aren't able to complain about your neighbours. Is this because you live with your parents and they don't want a record of bad neighbours because they own their home outright? That is understandable for them, but doesn't help your case. It sounds like time to strike out on your own.

Some councils will offer deposit and rent in advance help to people who don't meet the homelessness criteria. Why not see if your council, with whom you do have a local connection, would do this to help you find some private accom in your area? Once you're settled and sorted away from the current negative situation, you could look for a more ideal long term housing situation.

best of luck!

There is no question AT ALL of me remaining in this area I am done!

People are my trigger I could only do a community thing if it was set up for people with my problem and while I did not look at every single one I looked at alot and there is nothing suitable.

Privet housing is very expensive there while I could take one knowing the rest of the rent would be paid for me I would rather go there and live in a tent! I never thought I would ever apply for a council house never mind try and get to the top of the list!

The CT lied I have the evidence recorded.
      Social services I never did find out what they were supposed to do for me when I asked them over 6 months ago for help with housing they just said I has to do it myself (well they said that for everything) when I recently found out that they CAN put an application in on someones behalf I told them that and they told me I no longer had a social worker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That actually sums up the effort the NHS has made over 20 years they have basically given me every diagnosis that requires no further treatment even though they have been proven wrong countless times! The stop telling people things and wanting to drug me up to my eye balls is just a part of that as long as I am quiet and they dont have to do anything they are happy and thats all that matters to them, well ive done my 20 years and I am beyond done, I dont care who I tell this is the end of the orad for me one way or another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and things are so bad here that my parents are paying our legal fees, next doors legal fees and for a fence to be put up to block out next door, we will sadly still hear them yelling abuse. They also want to move but it is me stopping them as it has been for years The neibours have "freeloaded" off us all for years they have never shyed away from asking any of us for anything I was stood in front of my car concussed, in shock and looking at it spred accross our road she asked for the battery out of it there and then! No shame at all!
      My parents don't have mental health problems at all let alone connected with people behaving antisocial ive been hospitalised for 4 weeks because of people behaving like that towards me and yet its alright for me to live next door to it when even my parents just want to get out of here!
      Hug Jemima hugged this poster.

Gosh that does sound like a really horrible and stressful situation. I hope you are able to get a new social worker or someone else to help you out with it all x

Well this is the whole problem the NHS seem to take the easy option with every single diagnosis which turns out to be rarely the right one, its not their life that is being waisted. I have reached the end point with everything I can try myself except for moving (and this level of stress can not be sustained) but they seem to be trying to prevent me from doing this as well! Facts like I had a full rucksack and they asked what was in it, they then said oh I thought you might be homeless, I said no I have a slipped disk in my back(which they know)! And if I was going to make myself homeless it certainly would not be where I have been bullied by alot of people and dont feel safe would I! No I will buy a way way ticket to where I want to live and go there it has everyting that I need to safely live homeless, I really do wonder if they have an ounce of common sence sometimes, I mean you can do all the book learning you like but it dont give you no mannors or logic!
      I found out that I no longer have a social worker when I phoned them up because I read they can put a aplication in on your behalf thats when they said I no longer have one! Nice of them to let me know! Not that they did a single thing for me anyway. The really sad thing is if I just dont bother trying everyone is happy except for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!