Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stigma

Founding Member

i'm just sensitive theres this narrative that people can work so theres no need to pay benefits which is been used to attack the welfare state and i don't feel i have that choice in this less than ideal world, i'm dependent on ever lower benefits

My Mood
      Worried

I worked fine and whilst working I did not need benefits so I stopped claiming them. I have now stopped working and claiming benefits again. Just waiting for my PIP medical again. ESA sorted. Hopefully after speaking to them on Thursday my PIP medical will be in January.

As for stigma. It sucks. Friends leave you (if that's the case were they ever real friends). I have not found work is any harder to get. Providing you don't go to the interview dressed as jesus Christ and you can try and hold down a normal conversation then go for it. The more practice you get at interviews the more confident you become (sure knock backs suck) but see it as a game.

Another thing with stigma it can also work in you favour. I don't have to wait as long in the chemist and even they phone me up and ask how the new meds are going. I have found that most professional people look at the person not the label.

Friends on the other hand just see a huge label that screams "Nutter". These people are not worth knowing. A lot of people I know who I have told that I suffer from schizophrenia are great but none of these people I would consider friends. My kids teachers, my ex employer, Taxi drivers, (yes even them) have all been great.

I am proud to be mentally ill. I have accepted that friends don't accept me for who I am. We don't need anymore stressors in our lives as it is stress full enough without all the problems friends bring.

We have each other in this forum. Everyone of us is equal no matter what the illness. The depressed the manic the psychotic the disordered, We are all sharing the same umbrella.

Sod friends. I can't trust them but I know I can trust what I say here in these pages are looked upon and the replies are always heartfelt and honest.

Thank you
      Hug Hopefuloldie hugged this poster.

I don't even have to tell people, making and keeping friends is difficult, they always figure out there's something messed up about me eventually, problem is it doesn't reveal until I get comfortable with someone so then they have the nerve to say the BPD side of me are my true colours. I hate how the diagnosis you get given somehow defines you when I know the BPD side isn't the genuine me, yet if I explain that to people they think I'm making excuses for that behaviour

I think a majority still believe that BPD doesn't really exist or isn't a disorder and that we do have full control over it, yet they don't say the same about bipolar which is similar in a lot of ways

Founding Member

maybe i should take on this BPD diagnosis, i think among diagnoses one shrink brought it up, i'm just used to my schitzo diagnosis i guess, bit old to go down the reconsider duagnosis trail and my first thought would be what would the dwp think

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12