Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schizophrenia is the worst diagnosis

Default Schizophrenia is the worst diagnosis

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia last year by a junior doctor and a psychiatrist. It said in my records that I had circumferential thoughts, was guarded about hearing voices as if I heard voices but didn't want to admit it. This is what she was implying, the psychiatrist, and that I was a danger to others. I raised my voice at her. I believe she used this diagnosis as a form gaslighting so as to stop all forms of protest. When I was at my most vulnerable, I was picked on and bullied. I felt like this because I was losing my memory and was trying to tell her that my learning and concentration had been affected. She used this against me and now it's stuck. They use words to say I have paranoia because I mistrust mental health staff. Yes, I mistrust them but I have every reason to. Please could anyone help or advise me. I tried to point across that I had developed tardive dystonia but she didn't believe me and behaved in a very vindictive manner when I told her, how would she feel if she was in my position. She was really nasty.
      Last edited by iwanthope; 22-11-18 at 21:29.
      Hug Mayflower7, unspoken-words, claude, burt tomato hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Tired

Hi,
      I have paranoid schizophrenia to, it is a distressing condition/diagnosis.
      I have had bad experiences and mistrust CMHT staff, so they say I'm not engaging with services.
      It is hard to fight the system, if you feel your diagnosis is wrong get your GP on your side, and then ask for a second opinion.
      It can be very hard accepting diagnosis's, especially schizophrenia.
      Many of us feel we have been wrongly diagnosed.
      Here to listen anytime.
      Take care
      Hug claude, burt tomato hugged this poster.

Hi mayflower, you sound very kind. I've got dystonia as well. Having a diagnosis of schizophrenia is very debilitating. I haven't been properly diagnosed. Cmht never looked at the content of my mental health problems and have ignored my dystonia. I'm partly disabled now, damage from drugs. Peter breggin says schizophrenia shouldn't be used as it's not scientific or medical and is a form of abuse, a criticism and much more. I know he's right. What exactly is schizophrenia, anyway? I'm not accepting something false especially if I don't have it. Psychiatrists say poverty leads to schizophrenia but a diagnosis of schizophrenia leads to an impoverished life. That's a fact. Can you see, it is a way of undermining people. It's not the system, it's the people that make the system. I'm not accepting what I don't have.
      Last edited by iwanthope; 22-11-18 at 22:10.
      Likes Mayflower7, claude, unspoken-words liked this post.
      Hug Mayflower7, claude, burt tomato hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by iwanthope View Post
      Hi mayflower, you sound very kind. I've got dystonia as well. Having a diagnosis of schizophrenia is very debilitating. I haven't been properly diagnosed. Cmht never looked at the content of my mental health problems and have ignored my dystonia. I'm partly disabled now, damage from drugs. Peter breggin says schizophrenia shouldn't be used as it's not scientific or medical and is a form of abuse, a criticism and much more. I know he's right. What exactly is schizophrenia, anyway? I'm not accepting something false especially if I don't have it. Psychiatrists say poverty leads to schizophrenia but a diagnosis of schizophrenia leads to an impoverished life. That's a fact. Can you see, it is a way of undermining people. It's not the system, it's the people that make the system. I'm not accepting what I don't have.
      Hi,
      Thank you so much, I totally get where your coming from.
      The damage from drugs is terrible.
      Hope you feel better soon.
      Take care
      Last edited by Mayflower7; 22-11-18 at 22:16. Reason: Removed mistake
      Hug burt tomato hugged this poster.

Schizophrenia is a complex mental illness. My 36 year old daughter finally is getting help. She wasn't really paranoid that everyone was gonna get her but she her dilushions were sometimes somewhat paranoid. Still working on finding a better drug. She had developed tardive Dskensia which is causing mouth movements. Very hard illness for anyone to have.
      Hug burt tomato hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Amazed

I feel my schizophrenia is residual now. I can relate to all of your posts from my past when I was chronic. I was chronic from 1999 - 2012 and after then was working full time on recovery.

I was born in 1974 so 44 now.

I sometimes think back to the old days, and it was horrible, very distressing.

Do you have an alternative for a Dr. It's important to feel comfortable with your Dr. There are newer drugs that can be tried that might help with arrive deskynesia. Hopefully you find someone . Good luck.

My Mood
      Fine

I just cut loose the team I was seeing. I waited a year for Psychology and it was rubbish. I have like you had healthcare people ignore my concerns over side-effects, telling me just to get on with it.

Today as you said, I was told I could go to hospital or get the crisis team involved, then asked questions to see if they could section me.

The behaviour of these people is very damaging in my view, and I took the decision not to see them again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Not sure if you have been or not, but the worst thing someone said to me was that I was treatment resistant and a difficult 'client' to deal with.

I agree with you, this diagnosis has a pretty bad reputation, but all mental health conditions have a lot of stigma attached to them.

FYI hurt tomato I do not have schizophrenia yes? Do you understand ? It's not that I don't understand, YOU clearly do not understand.
      Hug Mayflower7 hugged this poster.

I resist the diagnosis because I never had it.
      Hug Mayflower7, unspoken-words hugged this poster.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast