Thread: What is the best medication for psychosis

My Mood
      Confused

im on depixol depot and on quetiapine too
      An Eye For An Eye Makes The Whole World Blind - Mahatma Gandhi

My Mood
      Worried

Quote Originally Posted by AAGille93 View Post
      Iím due to start clozapine on Monday has anyone had any experience of cloz? Iím nervous reading the side effects...
      Don't be worried about clozapine it really is a wonderful drug but just like any other med it does have it's side effects.

You will have weekly blood tests to keep an eye on your white blood cells one type of white cell that they are interested in are Neutrophills. These can drop when taking clozapine and leave you open to infection however you are really closely monitored and although you will hear about this in reality it does not happen that often. My clinic saw 75 people and I was the only one who's neutrophils dropped and I was taken of the drug.

You may gain weight. I did...Ö.A lot I was 85kg 13st and went up to a whopping 105kg 16.5st

You may feel less restless then when you were on other meds. Clozapine has a lower incidence of extra pyramidal symptoms. Which is a good thing. Don't get me wrong you may still get stiffness or that inner restlessness that other meds give you but it is less likely.

You may slobber more when in bed. Again this did not happen to me but other have reported drooling especially at night. Sleeping on a towel helps.

There are a lot of horror stories about clozapine but as long as you go to the clinic (they have a motto no blood no drug) an get bloods done plus blood pressure checked there really is not a lot to fear. No doubt someone else will post after me saying Clozapine caused my leg to drop off or clozapine caused me to grow an extra ear but clozapine really does work. It has been the only drug that really sorted my voices out.

I was unlucky. My neutrophils dropped they spotted it straight away and the problem was sorted by stopping the drug.

All I can say is give it a go. I saw many a very ill person walk into the clozapine clinic and a couple of weeks later they were so relieved that their voices had calmed and that they were again able to function. Albeit a couple of kg heavier.

Have an open mind trust the doctors (that hard for me to say). If you want to chat about clozapine please contact me.

Good luck. I really miss clozapine right now.
      Likes unspoken-words liked this post.

My Mood
      Worried

Don't know if you are in the uk but your neutrophils have to be 2.0 or above. Mine fell to 0.8. I did not get any infections and I felt 100 percent fine.

1 week after coming of clozapine they went back up to 4.5

My Mood
      Doubtful

I take 800mg of Amisulpride. The only real things to watch out for with that drug is prolactin and EPS symptoms but I am all good for now. I have been on many and this is the best so far

Thanks for the information Fazza I started it tonight.. so letís see what happens Apparantly I am treatment resistant and my psych is sceptical this will work

My Mood
      Worried

How did the start of clozapine go for you? Hope you are doing ok

Itís going ok Thankyou, just want to get out of hospital and apparently that isnít going to be happening any time soon .. sigh*
      Hug unspoken-words hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Worried

Glad it's going ok. In my area you have to be an in patient to start clozapine. I had to stay in for 21 days whilst they adjusted the titration. Big improvement by week 2/3

Hi Evening Folks,

I have to say that I happily and strongly swear by Abilify. It is more alerting (though annoyingly to some extent, and more awaking, the Abilify doesn't cause weight gaining as such, and fortunately, amongst very careful off own back diet plans, and working out in fitness dance and combined with toning work, it is a very very good medication for my szchiophrenia conditions. Off course, I'm going to have a blip on the occasion, other than that, I'm very well and at present on 25ml.

Best regards all,

Natalie.

Oh, and I have been on Abilify since 2007.

ive taken clozapine its not that great sweating and dribbling a lot also having blood tests a lot I didn't like it personally

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast