Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclothymia - help and advice needed

Default Cyclothymia - help and advice needed

Hi

I am new here, so I will go into my past in a little bit of experience.

I have all ways had MH issues
      March 2017 - diagnosed with Dysthymia and emotional dysregulation
      September 2017 - cyclothymia and anger management
      March 2018 - traits of emotional unstable personality disorder (BPD)

Referred for an Autism assessment, joined the waiting list March 2018, expected assessment date March/April 2019.

I have been on medication in the past, but not currently on any.

So I have two things I would like to discuss, treatment and support from NHS and then the second one how I cope with my issues.

So I have had real issues with the NHS and my local authority, I am current attending CBT, which is going ok, but I have had issues with this in the past as I was given two councillors who didn't work for me and didn't help me, I had to fight for 4/5 months to see a third one, I finally saw a third one, after one of the first two left the service. But at the moment I am thinking of stopping this due to the help I am getting.

I had an assessment at my local PCLS service last week, as a new assessment, but they did it as a review assessment which wasn't meant to happen. I went into the assessment with two mental health nurses, they didn't even introduce themselves, one just sat in the corner, watching, not talking, which I felt was very odd and uncomfortable, the assessment was a waste of time, I have received my outcome letter and it was poor, they got basic information wrong and didn't offer any support, just referred me back to my doctors, who are useless and if I go back to them for advice they will just refer me back to PCLS.

So onto the second thing, I really struggle with mood management and mood swings, I can get a mood switch any time, it flips like a light switch, sometimes I can explain my mood swing, but sometimes it's caused by nothing. It can last for an hour or days, my last one started Monday lunch time and ended Wednesday night. I have coping strategies but they don't all ways work, most of my mood swings are down ones, so the only way I explain it is I am two different people. Normally I am a nice person, can cope in day to day life, with some small struggles which is where my potential autism comes into it.
      But when I am having bad mood swing I am can be a bit aggressive, very short with people, if people contact me who are trying to help I will get rude with them and tell them I don't want any help, I have since realised this is why all my friends have backed away from me so lost all my support, I have also lost two jobs because of this, I have tried to explain to both employers about it but they just didn't care or understand. So as you can understand its very difficult.

I get very stressed and very frustrated with people and the situation I am in.

Would appreciate any thoughts or any help on my issues, your welcome to ask any questions if you have any.

Thanks
      Hug Tabby 88 hugged this poster.

Hi James. The only thing that helped me was to learn new verbal skills instead of snapping at people.

My Mood
      Lonely

For me it was medication combined with not asking them for help. The way they acted, their strange methods, caused mood swings and anger in itself, so i discovered i felt much better when i was not having to deal with them. I presume the extra nurse there was to make sure you didn't thump the other one, as you have anger issues on your file. You should see your gp, stick to one doctor you can build a relationship with and who is reasonable and normal to talk to. Utilise help from other places like books, peer support groups, online forums, any workbooks. You can do CBT yourself. You can call the samaritans rather than seeing a counsellor or can have an online or telephone counsellor if you wish. The counsellors i have had have been very dim or just didn't get the point. You can counsel yourself.

I have also pushed friends away but you can make new friends. Spread yourself out so that you don't tire out one friend. Give them breaks from you, that is what i do.

Thanks for responding. I have done some asking around and I believe it might have been a senior consultant, but there was no reference to the second person in my assessment report, so seems very strange. The issue with my GP, you see who ever you are given, if you are ringing up on the day, it's who ever is next on the appointment list, I have requested to see the same one and got denied. The issue is all the doctors I have seen at my GP practice have no experience or confidence on mental health issues, they just refer you, they are normally late and have 10/15mins per person. The last time I went to the doctors they was 40mins late seeing me.

My Mood
      Lonely

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesd49 View Post
      Thanks for responding. I have done some asking around and I believe it might have been a senior consultant, but there was no reference to the second person in my assessment report, so seems very strange. The issue with my GP, you see who ever you are given, if you are ringing up on the day, it's who ever is next on the appointment list, I have requested to see the same one and got denied. The issue is all the doctors I have seen at my GP practice have no experience or confidence on mental health issues, they just refer you, they are normally late and have 10/15mins per person. The last time I went to the doctors they was 40mins late seeing me.
      Are you taking any medication?

Most surgeries have a mental health gp now or a link worker. At mine, i see the same gp each time and they prefer us to do that. I know it is different in other places. I feel that really we are mostly responsible for ourselves now, finding help ourselves. I have done that repeatedly and now i don't think i need it. I don't need to call anyone or talk to anyone as i have talked and written so much now. Peers have helped possibly more than anyone else.

I was on a peer support forum which really helped. I learnt so much and also learnt how to communicate better and more carefully with others. You could say i was raised by peers that i had never even met. It is a steep learning curve but i am glad i did it as i needed to learn to care for myself and not need to find others to keep me afloat.

Your illnesses may need medication, but if they do not, the other help you need, nobody knows you like you know you. We are intelligent and well able to understand ourselves over time by thinking about how we feel. Slowly you will naturally analyse your life and how you act and why. A counsellor is just another person with an opinion and maybe not even the right one. Just a person who is interested in people and would like to help. The samaritans can do the same. I talk to myself or to other people that i cannot see, my dog, my cat. A psyhiatrist often does not speak back to me anyway, so my cat is just as beneficial

I don't think very highly of counsellors and the rest of the MDT. We are more intelligent and capable than we give ourselves credit for sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby 88 View Post
      Are you taking any medication?

Most surgeries have a mental health gp now or a link worker. At mine, i see the same gp each time and they prefer us to do that. I know it is different in other places. I feel that really we are mostly responsible for ourselves now, finding help ourselves. I have done that repeatedly and now i don't think i need it. I don't need to call anyone or talk to anyone as i have talked and written so much now. Peers have helped possibly more than anyone else.

I was on a peer support forum which really helped. I learnt so much and also learnt how to communicate better and more carefully with others. You could say i was raised by peers that i had never even met. It is a steep learning curve but i am glad i did it as i needed to learn to care for myself and not need to find others to keep me afloat.

Your illnesses may need medication, but if they do not, the other help you need, nobody knows you like you know you. We are intelligent and well able to understand ourselves over time by thinking about how we feel. Slowly you will naturally analyse your life and how you act and why. A counsellor is just another person with an opinion and maybe not even the right one. Just a person who is interested in people and would like to help. The samaritans can do the same. I talk to myself or to other people that i cannot see, my dog, my cat. A psyhiatrist often does not speak back to me anyway, so my cat is just as beneficial

I don't think very highly of counsellors and the rest of the MDT. We are more intelligent and capable than we give ourselves credit for sometimes.
      No not on any medications, I was on dulexotine before but it made me worse.
      My surgery has nothing like that, they just refer you elsewhere.
      Ok thanks, I just struggle with my mood swings, it has a real effect only life, is preventing me from working, relationships, moving on with my life, as I just feel stuck in this bubble/routine of bad moods.

My Mood
      Lonely

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesd49 View Post
      No not on any medications, I was on dulexotine before but it made me worse.
      My surgery has nothing like that, they just refer you elsewhere.
      Ok thanks, I just struggle with my mood swings, it has a real effect only life, is preventing me from working, relationships, moving on with my life, as I just feel stuck in this bubble/routine of bad moods.
      If you have bipolar, maybe you need a mood stabiliser, which a gp cannot prescribe. The psychiatrist did not think you needed a mood stabiliser? They either don't think your mood gets bad enough or you did not emphasise that enough. Did you make it all more complicated for them by talking about lots of other things? If you focus on your mood with them and how the changes are independent of everything going on in your life, they may see your point of view.

You could either present yourself at the hospital for assessment or convince your gp to refer you again with fresh information or worsening of mood.
      Last edited by Tabby 88; 23-11-18 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby 88 View Post
      If you have bipolar, maybe you need a mood stabiliser, which a gp cannot prescribe. The psychiatrist did not think you needed a mood stabiliser? They either don't think your mood gets bad enough or you did not emphasise that enough. Did you make it all more complicated for them by talking about lots of other things? If you focus on your mood with them and how the changes are independent of everything going on in your life, they may see your point of view.

You could either present yourself at the hospital for assessment or convince your gp to refer you again with fresh information or worsening of mood.
      When I was on Dulexotine that was meant to manage my mood, but it didn't help, so I come off them. It was the psychiatrist/mental health nurse who thought dulexotine would be the best for me to try to help with my mood.
      My mood management has got worse since seeing them and the level of my mood has got worse, I did raise it at my assessment last week, but they didn't even talk about it in my letter post my assessment.

I been told I can't have another assessment even though they didn't do it right in the first place.

My Mood
      Lonely

I am sorry to have written so much unhelpful advice before. It seems they are going down the route of mental health problems and not bipolar, but i don't know for certain. They have tried you with one medication and from my brief search on it, cymbalta also it is called, it is mostly for major depression and anxiety, although sometimes used for bipolar/cyclothymia. It can cause hypomania in some people. Is it an antidepressant? They cause me problems like you describe, and made me worse. I now have a mood stabiliser.

They are not being very helpful for you by not allowing you to try something else and preventing another referral and assessment is very cruel. Are you currently working? I have heard that if people are unable to work, they can be seen by the psychiatrist more urgently. How bad does it get for you? I am so sorry that i have no clue what you can do other than keep on at them. Have you tried 5htp or st johns wort? Again i think they will make things worse for you as antidepressant not mood stabilising. I would visit the gp every 2 weeks until you get some help. If it gets very bad, you can present yourself at the hospital for another assessment and they have to assess you. They can refer you to the psychiatrist themselves.

Your advice has been really helpful.
      I have no idea what it was for, they didn't really explain what it was for or what it would help me with, they just gave me the prescription and sent me on my way.

I feel like I need to be seen by a consultant to get my mood swings sorted properly and get a better treatment plan, but this is being denied, but I would class that as the bare minimum they should be doing for somebody who is clearly suffering with mental health issues and is screaming out for help, which is leading me to get very frustrated, angry then would be causing me more mood issues because I feel so stressed and let down by the NHS who are there to help people and treat them when they need it.

I have worked in the past, but lost two jobs because of my issues and how it affects me, so I am reluctant to go back, if the same will happen again, as again it just knocks me back.

I have been to my GP a lot recently maybe once every two weeks, they even wrote me a letter to say if I go back again with mental health issues then I could be removed from the practice as they can;t help me anymore as they have referred me elsewhere, but the place they referred me didn't want to help me and sent me back to the GP, so I am stuck in a circle of the NHS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast