Thread: Poor social skills and the opposite sex

Default Poor social skills and the opposite sex

Just joined I never talk about my issues with anyone and even if I did I have no one to talk to anyway so thought to give this a shot.

Have always had poor social skills it has dominated my life I have gone through the last twenty years with no friends no family (apart from parents) I have never been engaged or married. I have dated a few women for brief periods of time but never lived with anyone.

All of my dates have been found online I know nothing else but online dating. Basically I have lived 36 years with my parents I don't know anything else. So here I am yet another 36 year old bloke telling his pathetic story online.

The one dream I had at school was meeting a woman and setting up home together all the normal stuff that others take for granted. This has never happened for me not even got close. Being honest I don't even feel a part of society. How insane is that!

I manage to hold down a job just about so there it is another angry bitter young man telling his story online.

Keeping this short and sweet as I don't think this will do anything for me life is brutal support is given to people you see on BBC documentary's whilst back in the real world no one gives a rats arse.

Be interested to hear other peoples experiences of online dating and how isolated people meet the opposite sex?

My Mood
      Lonely

I don't have any experience with online dating. But after reading your post I thought you were quite good at explaining yourself, so your communication is good.

Perhaps you are being a bit hard on yourself. Also there are positive and negative in every situation. Just think of the trouble you may have saved yourself by still living at home with your parents. Some people may probably wish that they could go back to that situation as it would be an easier life. I am not saying that you shouldn't want to be in a relationship, but I don't want you to be hard on yourself for being where you are in life and who you are.

Perhaps you should try another dating site if you have been using the same site for a while. Also you could make a visit to your GP and say that you are having problems socially, you could ask them if they could put you onto a CBT course. If you are feeling down about things, then your GP should be consulted. Lots of people struggle with social situations and CBT courses help.

Have to say CBT sounds interesting and it is something I would consider. I have never heard of CBT before could you explain a bit more about it?

Senior Member maestro of presto's Avatar
      My Mood
      Blah

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Socialdisadvantage View Post
      Have to say CBT sounds interesting and it is something I would consider. I have never heard of CBT before could you explain a bit more about it?
      i very much doubt whether cbt or any therapy will suddenly stop a shitty situation been a shitty situation

i haven't lived with parents for a long time, but when i was that age there was a welfare state that would provide for everyone and available housing

So it would be talking about my issues hell no that would not help me. I can cope with underachieving in other areas of life but not having relationship is something I cant deal with. Meeting other like minded people would help but that wont be easy I think.