Thread: Constant Symptoms are really freaking me out

My Mood
      Scared

Default Constant Symptoms are really freaking me out

Little history first...

Last week I started feeling some pelvic pain (27 M) and I was afraid I had some sort of bladder issue. When that started up, my anxiety got a little worse, something I've dealt with for years, but was generally able to control through deep breathing and relaxation.

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia. Not life threatening or serious, but a nuisance. On my way home that day, taking transit, I started feeling light-headed, slightly dizzy, and nauseated. I got myself home and took a nap, hoping I would feel better.

Two days later, I entered a full blown panic attack, worse than any I'd ever experienced in my life. I felt weak, nauseated, lightheaded, terrified of an impending doom (which my imagination was happy to fill in the blanks for), random numbness on my face and torso, and hot skin, especially my forehead and stomach. Luckily, I had an appointment scheduled for something else that day, and was able to get in, and was slightly re-assured and calmed down by my physician. His take was that finding out about the hernia, and my modified behaviours to avoid worsening it, caused some significantly raised anxiety levels, which I accepted at the time.

It's been one week since that event, and since then I have had daily experiences of feeling lightheaded, nauseated (intensity ranges from a slight twinge in my diaphragm area to full blown feelings of impending vomiting), feeling weak and tired, a weak, but nagging headache, accompanied by pressure on the sides of my head and neck, and occasionally blurry vision (not so much an inability to see, but a delay in focus and lowered peripheral sight), ringing in my ears (sometimes one side seems like it's not hearing as well as the other either, almost as though it's muffled), and a warm forehead. The things that are causing me the most distress are the lightheadedness, blurry vision, and the warm forehead. (Taking my temperature has yielded results ranging from 35.2-37)

I have been back to the doctor in the last week, and they assured me that my symptoms are most likely anxiety related, but what's causing me the most stress, and I think is causing me to spiral most, is that these symptoms have started to become present even at times I don't feel that I'm actually anxious. For example, I haven't been having a ton of instances of heightened heart rate, yet the other symptoms have persisted, and it's really freaking me out, which is probably just making everything worse. Unfortunately I can't get in to see a psychiatrist until next weekend, and my doctor refuses to give me any sort of benzo to help me cope until then, which I understand, yet is frustrating.

I guess in conclusion, my main questions are the following:

1) Is it within reason that my anxiety symptoms may persist even between attacks, or even when I'm feeling like my anxiety isn't heightened?

2) Has anyone else experienced this persistent lightheaded feeling that seems to start within an hour of waking up and doesn't let go?

3) Should I be seriously concerned that my doctor may have made an incorrect diagnosis, and should I be pushing for testing for more serious issues? (i.e I've been panicking that, due to these symptoms, I may have a brain tumor)

Sorry for the long rambling post. I'm currently incredibly freaked out and alone, and needed to get this out.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
      Last edited by jz1991; 15-11-18 at 19:50.

My Mood
      Scared

Whoops, meant to also mention that I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, and am currently between medications. The only medication I am taking is propranolol 10mg, twice a day, for my anxiety (which was prescribed months ago, and I don't really feel I had any of these lightheaded symptoms before)

The symptoms you are feeling sound like anxiety I feel them all the time. My head isnít foggy when I wake but half a hour later it is. I also get dizzy and feel sick some times and light headed. Sometimes i panic and decide Iíve got cancer or something but although I feel like this I know itís stress and anxiety and try not to panic. Anxiety is very powerful and can make you feel like your dying sometimes when you are not and your head runs away with itself hope this helps
      Likes unspoken-words liked this post.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Sounds like anxiety.

I get anxiety when there’s nothing to be anxious about.

I don’t get heart palpitations much these days, no!, but I now I get every other bloody symptom of anxiety instead.

I have health anxiety and have experienced all of the above, mine gets so bad that my legs wobble and feel like rubber. This usually happens after I find something on my body that is normal that I instantly turn into another problem. I Have GAD an your symptoms are nearly identical to mine.

This really sounds like Generalised Anxiety Disorder. You often get anxiety for no reason at all and often for long periods, even lasting all day. You might also be unlucky enough to suffer a myriad of symptoms or just a few all the time. I have raging anxiety even when i'm on a lovely walk with my dog in the fresh air and the sun shining. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes! Good luck.

My Mood
      Scared

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, and hearing that some of you have similar issues does make me feel a bit better. They do really seem to come and go too, sometimes I have them for days at a time, and sometimes nothing at all. It's very frustrating, but doing what I can to get past it.

<3 thanks for the input