Thread: Q about counsellors

Default Q about counsellors

Hi I have a question about counsellors who report sexual assaults.
      I visited my counsellor today I revealed I was sexually assaulted 14 years ago I proceeded to give names, details about the incident and the place it happened and she went on to say she was going to have to report this. This has now given me extreme anxiety over what will happen when she does report it, I asked her but she said she doesnít know. I just donít need all this and what if I have to give a statement of what happened itís just not knowing what will happen is causing me anxiety.
      Hug Mayflower7, SunnyDaze hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Tired

Hi,
      Most counsellor's have a duty to report any form of child abuse, I'm sorry this is stressing you out.
      Please pm me if you need to talk or talk on this thread.
      Take care

I know but I was 20 when it happened and the people involved where between the ages of 18-21 I donít understand how this can be reported.

My Mood
      Crappy

Did she explain why she was going to report it? They usually ask permission before sharing confidential information unless they think someone is at risk. I don't see how anyone can force you to make a statement if you don't wish to either.

My Mood
      Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mayflower7 View Post
      Hi,
      Most counsellor's have a duty to report any form of child abuse, I'm sorry this is stressing you out.
      Please pm me if you need to talk or talk on this thread.
      Take care
      this basically, we are here if you need to talk

My Mood
      Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Laneyx30 View Post
      I know but I was 20 when it happened and the people involved where between the ages of 18-21 I don’t understand how this can be reported.
      Did the counsellor explain to you why she was going to need to report it? I would have expected the possibility of information having to be shared to have been outlined to you before you did the sharing.

Most organisations have a policy that their staff have to follow which allows confidentiality to be broken when they believe someone is at extreme risk of harm.

I'm not sure where you are from but most counsellors would work to an ethical framework like this one the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy expects its members to follow:

BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions

In some places, for example Ireland and in some parts of the USA, counsellors (and many other professionals e.g. doctors/teachers etc.) are required by law to report sexual abuse of children and vulnerable adults that they become aware of and to report concerns about a person who may pose a risk to children. The key for the authorities dealing with the concern that has been raised will be establishing whether or not any child or vulnerable adult is currently at risk from the individual in question. This requirement in Ireland is part of the Children First Act 2014. The Irish guidance on this act can be found here: https://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/pu...nFirst2017.pdf The aim of the reporting is to prevent further abuse from happening.

What surprises me is that you have been told that she is reporting what you told her, but you have not been offered any support to deal with the issues this may raise for you. You could call or visit the counsellor or the organisation she works for as soon as you can to ask them for details of the process of reporting and what support are they going to give you. Let them know that it has really upset you and caused you extreme anxiety.

As Mami5 says they can't force you to do anything.
      Mischief = The state or quality of being mischievous.
      Click here if you need emergency help
      LIKE the Mental Health Forum on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Laneyx30 View Post
      I know but I was 20 when it happened and the people involved where between the ages of 18-21 I don’t understand how this can be reported.
      I don't understand why it is being reported.You were an adult when it happened and the other people involved were adults.I would be questioning exactly why she said she has to report it.

Well before of the session I had to fill out a form with my contact details, my symptoms and then sign something at the end about confidentiality if a child or young person is at risk or if I mention any paedophilic activity it will be reported. I stupidly didnít read it in depth but I think thatís all it mentioned Iím going to get copy of what I signed the next time Iím in there. As I was in a panic when I first went in and filled out the l form I just flew through it also it was my first experience at a counsellors.
      Last edited by Laneyx30; 03-11-18 at 11:19.
      Hug Mayflower7 hugged this poster.