Thread: How did you /do i tell my therapist?

Default How did you /do i tell my therapist?

Hi, so I've recently started therapy for depression and anxiety.
      I was raped a few years ago at a party and never told anyone for a number of reasons but recently I feel the need to get it off my chest as it's been affecting me more and more.
      But, I've never said the words out loud and even thinking about it makes me cry.
      So my question is how do I go about telling her without having a complete breakdown.

My Mood
      Crappy

Hi, you could show her your post here, or write down what you want her to know? She will know is very hard to speak about. You don't have to say any more than you feel ready to. Good luck xx
      Likes SunnyDaze liked this post.

My Mood
      Crappy

It is a good idea to write it down for her and you feel you can't or don't want to be there when she reads it then maybe you can post it to her in advance. That way she can approach the subject in a sensitive way during your session. Sometimes it is hard to know how to start these conversations yourself so this way you can pass that responsibility to her.

I'm having counselling myself at the moment, and even though it is by RASA, I'm dreading talking about what happened or don't really know how to, so I can relate to how you're feeling.

I hope you manage to open up and talk about it as I believe it will help your recovery. Take care
      Likes SomersetScorpio liked this post.
      Hug write hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Blah

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you.
      It's such a hard thing to come to terms with, but I think it's a positive sign that you think you might be ready to start talking about it.

I think it's a conversation that needs to happen on your own terms and at your own pace, and a good counsellor will support you in that.

I was in the same situation as you. It took me years to accept what had happened and years of counselling before I felt I could talk to my counsellor about it.
      Even now when I refer to the incident, I still say "that thing that happened" and can't bring myself to say rape.

It might not be the same for you, but if you struggle with that word too, you can find different words that you'd be more comfortable saying.
      I also stuck to more technical language than slang, e.g. using the correct terms for my body's anatomy.

Writing it down is a good idea but if you'd rather just say it, then tell your counsellor that there's something you want to talk about but that you're having a really difficult time putting it into words.

Good luck with it and I hope that it time and with help, things start to heal for you.
      Likes tragicpink liked this post.
      Hug write hugged this poster.

I was raped to teling someone is hard but as a therapit they probablee have an idea anyway. Rape crisis were fatastic with me and I had sirport for 18 months it won't be an easy journey but this stp is the hardest and once done the hwlp is there. if you trust your therapist its easier but evn if you not sure about tellng remeber it's not a sign of weaknes and you didn't ask for it. best advise tell someone you trust when your ready.

I cried wen told my Gp but he new anyway the countcillor had told him and he was and still is good with handing anything that miht make me uncomfortable if you breakdown it's okay actuallee releasing it is beter and they are there to help and usuallee have a masive box of tissues. you safe now and they won't hold it agaist you promise