Thread: Self harm

Question Self harm

So a while back when I was on floxetine I started to self harm on the odd occasion. Not much just the odd bit here and there just to feel something. I mentioned this to my GP and she said it can be a side effect when changing doses etc.

Fast forward 2 months and I'm still Self harming but I'm now on 75mg venlafaxine slow release twice a day, I have mentioned this to the GP but it seems to be ignored. I have tried distracting myself when I get the urge to do it.

When should I get worried that this seems to be ignored?
      Hug woomcha hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Scared

Wow... I'm really sorry your GP is doing this. Here's the issue with GPs, they arent therapists. They're probably not equipped to dig inside your head and figure out the root. The time to be worried they're ignoring you, is the minute they do. They're basically ignoring the inevitability that this could get worse. I have never heard of self harm being a side effect, and I've been on and off anxiety meds/anti depressants since I was 8. Your best bet, would be to make an appointment and speak to a therapist. They will do much more for you than your GP, and may even know what to prescribe to help more. I hope you feel better soon!

My experience with GPs and my own anxiety/depression/self-harm was about like yours. I was always treated like I was seeking attention and was at one point called by my doctor neurotic... So I would definitely see if there's a way you can change doctors, and look into a therapist. Therapists are trained to work with individuals suffering with mental illness' unlike a doctor who just prescribes medicines based off a set of symptoms. I'm really sorry you're experiencing this right now, this is tough. Don't give up and keep looking around for someone who will treat you the way you need.

So fast forwards a couple weeks later and a slightly accident with alcohol and come pills. I went to the doctor yesterday and told him what I had done, I am now on 25mg quetiapine as an add-on to the 225mg of venlafaxine a day. Let's see how this goes, last night dreams were very crazy...