Thread: How does it feel social anxiety ?

Question How does it feel social anxiety ?

Hello guys,

Usually I write on anxiety forum or panic attack disorder, cause that is my issue.
      But I would like to ask you cause I haven't understand well..what is social anxiety?

For example: I really get a huge amount of stress when I am about to meet people I am not comfortable with, I am afraid of social situations and always being afraid other people will misjudge me. I got stressed when I have to interact with unknown people. Is that social anxiety? Or those are symptoms of my anxiety disorder?

I would like to know what it is like to have social anxiety?
      Thank you for your time
      Monsters don't sleep under your bed..they sleep inside your head..
      Likes George10111 liked this post.
      Hug SomersetScorpio hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Tired

Social anxiety is different from general anxiety, although it can be hard to know what's what!

For the past few years i've been on citalopram and it's helped my social anxiety a huge amount. I would say that now i'm just anxious, rather than socially anxious (if that makes any sense!).

In the past when i've had social anxiety, the symptoms for me would be very physical.
      Whenever I had to be around people or talk to someone, i'd get all of the classic signs of anxiety (shaking, dry mouth, rapid heart beat, can't breathe). I would feel completely paralysed.
      I completely avoided all eye contact and would blush if I had to talk. I'd have to hide my hands because they'd be shaking.
      I also never said anything because not only was I afraid i'd say something stupid, i'd also be so wrapped up in my anxious thoughts that i'd miss what people were saying to me.
      I just couldn't stop thinking that I was going to embarrass myself.

Although I still now have anxiety and get anxious around people, I can give eye contact and have a conversation if I have to. I wouldn't be able to do that before.
      Hey, sometimes I find it difficult to keep track of my posts, so if I don't respond I've most likely​ forgot. I promise I'm not being rude.
      Hug Nerdy hugged this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by SomersetScorpio View Post
      Social anxiety is different from general anxiety, although it can be hard to know what's what!

For the past few years i've been on citalopram and it's helped my social anxiety a huge amount. I would say that now i'm just anxious, rather than socially anxious (if that makes any sense!).

In the past when i've had social anxiety, the symptoms for me would be very physical.
      Whenever I had to be around people or talk to someone, i'd get all of the classic signs of anxiety (shaking, dry mouth, rapid heart beat, can't breathe). I would feel completely paralysed.
      I completely avoided all eye contact and would blush if I had to talk. I'd have to hide my hands because they'd be shaking.
      I also never said anything because not only was I afraid i'd say something stupid, i'd also be so wrapped up in my anxious thoughts that i'd miss what people were saying to me.
      I just couldn't stop thinking that I was going to embarrass myself.

Although I still now have anxiety and get anxious around people, I can give eye contact and have a conversation if I have to. I wouldn't be able to do that before.

That must be very hard for you but I can understand what you were going through. People make me anxious too.. It's awful when you wanna just have some fun and you mind doesn't let you do that. How long it took you to become just anxious ? I mean not to have social anxiety?
      Monsters don't sleep under your bed..they sleep inside your head..
      Hug SomersetScorpio hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
      That must be very hard for you but I can understand what you were going through. People make me anxious too.. It's awful when you wanna just have some fun and you mind doesn't let you do that. How long it took you to become just anxious ? I mean not to have social anxiety?
      Yes - I've been in a group who were having a laugh and I really wanted to join in, but it's like hitting a wall! I totally get it.

As I said, it was taking the citalopram that helped me. If I stopped taking it (which I did for a brief period a few years ago) I notice the difference straight away. So it's not really cured as such, it's just better managed with medication.
      Hey, sometimes I find it difficult to keep track of my posts, so if I don't respond I've most likely​ forgot. I promise I'm not being rude.

There is no cure for mental illness.

But you can manage your life and be happy with therapy and meds.

My Mood
      Mellow

Hi Nerdy. Social anxiety is a phobia to any degree of social situations or of interactions with people. A basic example would be a time in my youth when the girl I had a crush on came and sat next to me at the lunch table, (6th grade). I had my first panic attack. I don't know why but I froze, blushed, got up and ran off completely mortified, threw my lunch away and felt really embarrassed after. It was just out of the blue and unexpected. Looking back I just laugh at it but then it was a terrifying situation. For a chronic sufferer it can be that way in almost any situation with anyone. I've since had many situations like that with different people.

Social anxiety can also involve fear of confrontation. I've had a hard time being assertive because I don't like negative reactions. Being shy is basically SA in a nutshell. Have a nice day!
      Last edited by George10111; 13-07-17 at 17:52.

Founding Member

one thing he undoubtedly suffers from is extreme social anxiety, most psychiatrists won't notice unless like that one they've seen me in large groups, as i said it doesn't matter if your not telling the truth when you say you haven't noticed certain things you know the truth

And waiting in a gps crowded surgery for an hour isn't easy you have to be fairly well to see a doctor nowadays

imitating a sardine on a crowded intercity train is hell

My social anxiety manifests itself as nervousness, jumpy stomach, and the fear that I'll say something wrong or take a joke too far.

It's based on the idea that everyone in the room is judging me harshly. This did happen to me once when I was young, and I know that most of the time it's my imagination, but I still feel it.

Founding Member

my social anxiety manifests itself as a feeling i'm talking to myself and expressing my thoughts out loud, a symptom of when i was first ill with schitzoprenia, particularly sexual thoughts of women in a group

and i do get discussed partly because my diagnosis is out and they're what my aunt calls twopence halfpenny snobs

Well, It most times causes depression. You feel alone and get increasing isolated. Also, you have to try to keep yourselve mentally stable because all the hurt you feel but can't much about it. You get different perspective of the world and maybe mature early.