Thread: Borderline - You and your psychiatrist

My Mood
      Tired

Question Borderline - You and your psychiatrist

I just want to get some BPD folks' views on their psychiatrist.

I feel really let down by mine. He seems very dismissive of anything I try and tell him. He's made the odd comment here and there that suggests to me that he thinks I can just 'think' my way out of it, or that if I got 'tougher' I'd get out of it. I've explained time and time again about how the mood swings put my life in disarray but it all seems like water off a ducks back to him.

Is this the kind of experience others have or have I landed myself with a bad one?
      Hug SomersetScorpio hugged this poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Drooo View Post
      I just want to get some BPD folks' views on their psychiatrist.

I feel really let down by mine. He seems very dismissive of anything I try and tell him. He's made the odd comment here and there that suggests to me that he thinks I can just 'think' my way out of it, or that if I got 'tougher' I'd get out of it. I've explained time and time again about how the mood swings put my life in disarray but it all seems like water off a ducks back to him.

Is this the kind of experience others have or have I landed myself with a bad one?

In the main, you have to consider (psychiatrist's) operate on the premise that near all or most at least conditions, are a result of chemical/biological imbalances, or depletion's. This is not to say, they are completely dismissive, of social or environmental affect's. But first and foremost they are medical Doctors, having taken post graduate courses specifically dealing with behavioral/mental problems. Thus, they will tend to take the drug/chemical road to redress any imbalances. Sometimes, they may send someone to say, cognitive behavioral therapy or some other approach, but in the main they deal with drugs.
      Psychologists, on the other hand tend to operate on environmental factors as the cause of problems, and they deal with strategies, to assist a person to deal with or overcome their situation or problem.
      Sounds to me the psychologist maybe you'r better path. But of course that choice is always your's. If you'r condition is a result of chemical imbalances, then of course the Psychiatrist is you'r best option.
      Run it by him, and ask the question, " would I be better seeing a psychologist in my situation".

Also, hope this helps; trying looking up a natural supplement ( B3 Naicin) . Has some great results.

Natural Treatment for Depression Explained (Naicin B3 Food Matters) - YouTube
      Last edited by swimming; 19-06-17 at 08:31.
      Likes Clandestine Rob liked this post.

My Mood
      Confused

I saw my psychiatrist 3times, once for an initial consult as the first working diagnosis was bipolar, in the IAPT telephone call I was asked if I knew what a formal bipolar diagnosis would do to my career and if so after a full explanation did I still want to see the psychiatrist.
      I did and she was lovely, good history taker, really listened and told me it was BPD not bipolar, and I needed a psychologist not a psychiatrist.
      The second time was just to check that I'd really understood the difference and what it meant and how I felt about it.
      The 3rd was to discuss treatment options. Medications were off the table, she recommended CAT and EMDR, told me about them and wrote a very detailed letter to the psychological therapies team.
      I was discharged from her care after that.
      So I suppose it was a good experience, but I didn't get anything from her treatment wise.
      I agree that it may be prudent to mention psychologists to your psychiatrist and see where that goes.
      Likes swimming, SomersetScorpio liked this post.

My Mood
      Crappy

I've had similar experiences of psychiatrists being really dismissive.

In my opinion, I think some professionals are more dismissive of people with a personality disorder label.

One of my old CPNs told me that they used to see BPD as a 'social illness' rather than a mental illness and so the mental health services never used to treat Borderline.
      Also because it's supposedly your personality that's disordered rather than your mind (?), it's something that you can be free of just by thinking differently.

Whilst times have changed in some respects, I don't know if many doctors are on board with the newer way of treating BPD. I think some are stuck in that old school of thought that it's a social illness.
      Hey, sometimes I find it difficult to keep track of my posts, so if I don't respond I've most likely​ forgot. I promise I'm not being rude.

My psychiatrist told me 'you don't want to be diagnosed with BPD it's a dustbin diagnosis'. He said at the time he thought I had PTSD, GAD and traits of BPD. Though over time, they change their opinions. Currently they think I have a mixed personality disorder, BPD, avoidant ,and paranoid as well as PTSD and GAD. I haven't really experienced the psychiatrist or other staff being dismissive of me. It might be because I have comorbid things going on, with the PTSD,I was recently told either I accepted home treatment , I went into hospital voluntary or they would section me.I tend to have episodes where my emotions get out of control . So they are sending me on a mindfulness course. They are really keen on getting me into groups.

. I was under home treatment for 3 weeks. I regularly see the psychiatrist, and am medicated. They tell me I need a mix of medication and long term therapy. The meds are for my anger and anxiety. I have a social worker, emlployment advisor, and a support worker as well as a psychologist. I don't feel they dismiss me ,quite the opposite , I don't like all the intrusion by them, but the funny thing I have noticed about mental health workers is they do reverse psychology. I think because I don't ask for help,don't want to be under services and I think I have a reason to be watchful of people, they involve themselves a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspoon View Post
      My psychiatrist told me 'you don't want to be diagnosed with BPD it's a dustbin diagnosis'. He said at the time he thought I had PTSD, GAD and traits of BPD. Though over time, they change their opinions. Currently they think I have a mixed personality disorder, BPD, avoidant ,and paranoid as well as PTSD and GAD. I haven't really experienced the psychiatrist or other staff being dismissive of me. It might be because I have comorbid things going on, with the PTSD,I was recently told either I accepted home treatment , I went into hospital voluntary or they would section me.I tend to have episodes where my emotions get out of control . So they are sending me on a mindfulness course. They are really keen on getting me into groups.

. I was under home treatment for 3 weeks. I regularly see the psychiatrist, and am medicated. They tell me I need a mix of medication and long term therapy. The meds are for my anger and anxiety. I have a social worker, emlployment advisor, and a support worker as well as a psychologist. I don't feel they dismiss me ,quite the opposite , I don't like all the intrusion by them, but the funny thing I have noticed about mental health workers is they do reverse psychology. I think because I don't ask for help,don't want to be under services and I think I have a reason to be watchful of people, they involve themselves a lot.
      It is a difficult world, no argument there! The problem with the system is very often due to it being just that, a system. Things are compartmentalized. Within those compartmentalized systems they have rules. Systems are rather like some odd fractal, they go on and on. So, systems are constructs, they are not alive or intelligent, and worst of all, they are 99.9% of the time inflexible. if you don't fit the box, as in, are you a round person, a squire person, a triangle type person, they don't quite know what to do with you. I throws a spanner in the system's works.
      Human-beings are anything but rigid systems, they are infinitely diverse and unique. We all share similarities, the big problem is, it's how we perceive anything from a personal perspective. No one can ever see things precisely how you see things, it's unique just for you, and you alone.
      The system, treats people as systems, because, only (systems work, if you'r a system) dependent on what you'r condition is. But we are NOT rigid systems! So called mental health, does not take account of the above, or very little at least. People don't need to be told what to do, they need help when they are confused or lost. My perspective has always been, I can do nothing for you, only you can walk you'r walk. I can only help someone, in offering ideas, strategies, which may be of use to them navigate, understand, and manage their problem or challenge. Sometimes, it's a biochemical problem, and thus, chemicals are needed to redress those imbalance, and sometimes, it's a personal development hill or management problem, YOU have to overcome. others can only try and guide, and support you, to overcome them. But they cannot do it for you, only you can do that.
      It's very deep stuff, people are infinitely deep, and complex beings, It's a whole book really I am trying to convey in a few short words.

As I always say, we all share the same physical world and planet. But every human being on earth, in fact every creature on earth, experiences this universe, this reality in our very own unique special way. I cannot give you my experience, you cannot give anyone else's or you'r experience, it's for you and you alone! We can describe it, explain it, draw it, but to experience it, is another thing. Some people are there, or should be there, to love, support, guide, and try to help shine a light, to help YOU see and overcome you'r challenges in life. That's how I see mental health should be.

We are not systems, a car to fix when it's broke or needs a service. We are all very special beings.. And that's the problem with the (system) !!