Thread: On the Plus Side -- Benefits derived from having Voices !!

My Mood
      Cheerful

Thumbs up On the Plus Side -- Benefits derived from having Voices !!

Well Folks we usually hear different forms of negative rants about the Voices that infect us. A few years ago after realizing that I cant make these Voices go away no matter what or what ever medications I take, I had resolved to turn around and derive some good out of the voices: The following are a list of the positive outcomes that I have managed to derive from them thus far !
      1. Increased my powers of concentration with a constant noise and chatter of the Voices in the background.
      2. Increased my reading powers whilst the Voices constantly echo what I am reading in the background and be able to process more information from what I read, also developed greater speed reading skills.
      3. Learned to process mentally and think efficiently in a second language that I know -- this should also provide a clue on what the Voices may be derived from us as soem from of a mutative cancerous process. I am from a non-english speaking place by birth though my regional language was not my mother tongue and I did all my language learning with English as my first language while growing up. Since I had the Voices, some of them began to constantly hound me in this second language that has since improved my proficiency in this second language, which other wise like some of my siblings who are also settled in the UK, I would have almost forgotten !!
      4. Able to multi-task immensely and think and listen and process in parallel, this has been one of the great benefits derived, being able to be more efficient at work !!
      5. Now being more quick-witted, and sharper at the repartee.... as I am also constantly snapping back at the Voices and shutting them up with repartee, this exercise of the repartee has only enhanced this skill.
      6. Developed a great skill at Anger management, I now rarely get angry and tend to see things with a better sense of Humour..... this form of an outlook emerged after I stopped taking the Voices seriously and started poking fun at them... as a result I have also turned in to a more cheeky guy !!
      7. Developed a whole new positive outlook on life and have a more optimistic outlook .... gone are the few elements of paranoia, getting worried at things and looking at things from a negative eye.
      8. With the Voices constantly chattering in the background I am now much sharper and sort of living on the edge, very mentally alert so to speak, and mentally active.
      9. Have been able to make a number of improvements in my life and personal habits as a result of the constant nagging by the Voices, who were trying to brow beat on me by constantly nagging me on my bad habits.
      10. And so on .... so in short for the little bit of pain of no silence in your head if you turn the tide on your Voices like I did and decide to derive some positive gain out of them there are plenty of benefits to be had !!
      11. In summary the Voices can sometimes be like a constantly running spelling checker of your life continuously highlighting your mistakes like the one in Microsoft WORD as you write on and get on with it correcting the spellings on the fly !!

So not all is lost my friends infected with the Voices ....would strongly advice you to turn the leaf on your Voices and accept the fact that there are no remedies in this current day and age for them and try to derive some good out of them !

Cheerio !!
      Thanks fidget gave thanks for this post.
      Hug fidget hugged this poster.

I am so happy for you being able to cope so well with your voices. I have an illustrator who hears voices and he is getting ECT every month for it. This has been going on for at least a year. They give him drugs for his memory loss from the ECT. I wish I could get him to understand that he has to deal with the voices.
      Little Porcupine Goes to the Psyche Ward - available on Amazon Books
      Thanks wellness gave thanks for this post.

My Mood
      Pensive

I must say most of my experiences with voices were not positive. Usually when I am hearing them more intensely I have negative side effects such as loss of concentration or attention, and at its worst I'm involved in self created stories with my voices which worry me about my spiritual being.

But I think it varies, if you have strongly independent voices who have opinions about your life then perhaps as you say it's not all bad. We all have different brains and even different experiences of the voices over the years, it doesn't necessarily stay the same.
      People are worried and unhappy in direct proportion to the lack of love in their lives.
      - Osho

My Mood
      Cool

I have intrusive thought which are more disturbing than the voices. Plus they try to give me advice using their 'inside knowledge' but 90% of the time - they are totally wrong.

If I listened to them I would be in a total nightmare. They want me to spend money all the time for one thing. Yes shopping can be good therapy but you have to have control - you can't just go nuts.

My Mood
      Cool

Oh yeah Wellness I think you need to see a doc about your word salad! Good job!!

My Mood
      Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by burt tomato View Post
      I have intrusive thought which are more disturbing than the voices. Plus they try to give me advice using their 'inside knowledge' but 90% of the time - they are totally wrong.

If I listened to them I would be in a total nightmare. They want me to spend money all the time for one thing. Yes shopping can be good therapy but you have to have control - you can't just go nuts.
      Fortunately .... I keep quiet busy for most of the time and The Voices I have try to OBSTRUCT me more than try and make me do things .... so powers of Ignoring them and just getting on with life is a useful tool to develop ! I have managed to push them in a corner where they no longer tell me what to do but are constantly criticizing such as if I leave some dishes dirty in the sink they will fuss about it and I know that I need to get around and wash the dishes !! So some good out of there !!! LOL sort of in a contrived way ....