Thread: Memory exercises as a way of coping with low-level voices

My Mood
      Cheerful

Default Memory exercises as a way of coping with low-level voices

I woke up in the morning a few days ago with a voice advising me that I needed to get busy with memory, that this would be beneficial for me. So I did, and the last couple of days I have been spending time doing several exercises.

The main thing I have been doing is picking a quiet time in the morning to lie back on my bed, close my eyes and cast my mind back to different periods of my life. I choose a time when I was 12 and lived in the United States this morning, and just re-traced my steps in my memory, calling to mind in sequence the highlights of about a year of my life.

This has actually been quite beneficial, it seems to have created a new focus of mental activity and the low-level voices that I sometimes hear - fragments usually mostly when I am relaxed on the couch - have been less. Also in my tactile sense it has shifted the centre of attention away from flaws in my tactile sensations, like what happens around my feet, and more to a non-tactile area around my head. It feels significantly better.

What I have learnt from Buddhist theory leads me to conclude that next to the five senses - hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste - we also have a sense of the content of mind, and that attention and thus the stream-of-consciousness is divided between these. I originally only had audible voices, and this later expanded into tactile sensation, so perhaps memory exercises are a way to bring the attention onto the most disciplined and truthful part of the mind.

It's not something that I would expect to have a strong impact on severe auditory voices, but with only limited effects maybe they can be redirected.
      People are worried and unhappy in direct proportion to the lack of love in their lives.
      - Osho
      Likes fidget, Eigau liked this post.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Why do you want to keep remembering the past, if you don't mind me asking?

My Mood
      Cheerful

It's just an exercise, to see what can be dredged up from long ago times. It changes the focus of your mind and attention, from external, on your senses and maybe with the voices, to internal, on the long ago. Maybe it strengthens your connections with your remembering process... the brain has neuroplasticity, perhaps the neurons making voices will be repurposed into memory connectors
      People are worried and unhappy in direct proportion to the lack of love in their lives.
      - Osho
      Thanks arwen gave thanks for this post.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Hi Kerome, its funny you should mention memory exercises. I've been reading up on the "memory palace" technique. It's apparently very old and useful for lots of things. I'm going to try to use it to extend my language learning ability, I intend to become a polyglot haha! I think the "memory palace" may also help with voices too. I have difficulty distinguishing different ones sometimes as many avoid having names now, so I try to identify them by their gender, and tone. Sometimes, I associate certain aspects of a voice with an age or ethnicity too. The more aspects of a voice I have, the more defined I think they become.
      Likes Kerome liked this post.

I was trying to meditate this morning when I had a nightmare complete with voices outside of myself mocking me, someone holding my arms down and me trying to shout "help" but nothing came out. This is unusual for me. I was completely paralyzed and thought the door to the outside was open and somebody had come in. I hope this doesn't happen again. When I woke up I looked around to see nobody was there. It doesn't bother me that this happened unless it happens again. I can see where this would annoy the shit out of you guys. My bf says that because my yoga teacher says we should induce out of body experiences in our meditations, that I am afraid of this and holding my own arms down. As for your memory technique, I hope it works for you.
      Little Porcupine Goes to the Psyche Ward - available on Amazon Books
      Hug fidget hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Cheerful

It certainly seems to help with providing focus to the mind, and allowing the voices to go off and do their own thing. I've covered periods of my early childhood, my University days, the times I spent living with my mother and stepfather in southern England, various holidays. It's been really good actually, I've recovered some parts of my memory where I hadn't looked for a long time and which had gotten very rusty. I feel as if I have been vacationing off in my own memory.

But I've been noticing some things where if I don't keep the focus strongly on memory, on disciplined recall, I am getting some sections of a kind of visions when I let my attention wander a bit. Like just now I had a flash of a black man digging into the base of a tree trunk lying on its side, it felt kind of african, and a voice saying softly "I am your medium". So hmm, maybe after a few days of quite intensive memory work some of the discipline is starting to slacken a bit.

I've noticed I have strong memory for buildings and places, and much less for people and events. Plenty of work still to do to recover better memories of the latter.
      - Osho
      Likes fidget liked this post.
      Hug fidget hugged this poster.