Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Voice of God verses voice of schizophrenia

Default Voice of God verses voice of schizophrenia

Hi I have the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. I have a huge battle going on because when I've talked to people in the past about the voice that speaks to me most conclude that I'm hearing the voice of schizophrenia simply because I'm hearing a voice. I have been hearing this mans voice for about 15 years straight. I was ok with this mans voice because he was very comical, very encouraging, very clear and very accurate. Sometimes I think I maybe a prophet. However I cant jump to conclusions as this mans voice has said some things that just weren't true. But whether the content is truth I'm still hearing this mans voice speaking to me audibly 24/7. If I were to be absolutely blunt and severe with my own personal experience the conclusion would be "This is not the voice of schizophrenia" Don't get me wrong I'm still very frustrated with it as it has bought me no friends, no job, NO MONEY, no nothing.

I've been non-compliant with medication for 4 years (I got caught out) I'm now on a compulsory treatment order and on the injection. I'm physically distraught and I am not coping to well. I still hear the mans voice 24/7 (I call this voice the Holy Spirit) . Does anyone have any comments to make.
      Last edited by Immortality; 15-01-17 at 05:31.
      Thanks coccia4321 gave thanks for this post.
      Likes BrianHorlicks, coccia4321 liked this post.
      Hug troubled, Tonic, N/A, coccia4321 hugged this poster.

backagain2

If it was the actual voice of God, Why would he want to have no friends, no job, no money? I would really hope that God, would not want that for anyone. If you are a prophet,are your prophecies worth not having anything? Sorry to be so blunt but I've lost everything too. I can't even have a family now. Medication never worked for me but some it works for, go figure.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. I'm only saying this to give you a different point of view. I'm sure you'll hear more than mine. Come to your own your own conclusions. If you feel the same after reading everyone's comments, it will still be your own decision.
      Hug troubled hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Happy

Hello immortality
      Even though you may not want to hear this, I agree with backagain2. God would definitely not be in your face 24/7 and he most certainly would not want you living an isolated life...quite the contrary. He wants you to have a happy life filled with love for yourself and others and to be a part of the life that is around you in a positive way. What would happen if you just ignored that voice for a while? BTW, even though I said God would not be in your face 24/7, he is a part of you and can be contacted from deep within as he would never take it upon himself to audibly talk with you especially when it causes distress in your life. When you talk with God, try to direct your talk to the God deep within you instead of the one you can audibly hear...you will have to listen much more closely though when listening deep within. Peace for you
      Thanks N/A gave thanks for this post.
      Likes N/A, whosebob liked this post.
      Hug troubled hugged this poster.

One of the things that really helps me on an ongoing basis is to Google "delusions" and you will find loads of examples of other people who believe that God is talking to them. When you are in the midst of a delusion, it's hard to believe that it's an illness, but this is what you have to try to do. This morning I was having a hard time because my voices were saying "Warning" and that if I didn't give all my money away, there would be a nuclear war coming. But I went onto the internet and looked up some more examples of delusions and it always helps me to do that.

So here is something I found on the internet today. I think it was written by a doctor who was treating a man who thought he was a Celtic god -

• One particular Celtic God I used to know was always threatening suicide but his motive was interesting. It was not that he would die, it was that should he commit suicide the whole of the human race would come to an end.
      He died in suspicious circumstances. It was uncertain whether this was an accident caused by a heart attack or whether he had deliberately done this.
      It was a sad loss and a sad end to what had been a very sad and disturbed life but it appears that the human race survived.

So you can see from the above that this man had an illness which made him think the human race would end when he died, but that didn't happen. We're all still here.

That man's voices/thoughts lied to him. Mine lie to me. You have said yours lie to you. Try hard to see what you are going through as an illness, because this makes it easier to ignore. Then just do what all the rest of us do, and try hard to distract yourself. Google, listen to music, read, whatever helps.
      Last edited by Helena1; 16-01-17 at 08:55. Reason: suicide specifics removed
      Likes N/A, whosebob liked this post.
      Hug N/A, Kelly2017 hugged this poster.

backagain2

That story that troubled put in his post was really interesting to me. The human race didn't end but his existence did. His voices were right but he listened to them and it didn't end how he thought it would. After he was gone the human race didn't exist to him anymore. You can't rely on anyone's opinion but yourself when you have schizophrenia(not your voices). You shouldn't give the voices any power over you.
      Likes troubled, whosebob liked this post.

Hi sorry but I couldnt explain a fifteen year experience in a few words. Thats my point. It is 24/7 and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm married (25 years) with two daughters both are working. I attend Elim church. I have talked to a few people about my experience but because I have the diagnosis of schizophrenia I have been ignored totally. I have been discussing this with my psychiatrist for 14 years and his question to me every time is what is the Holy Spirit been talking to you about. Dont take the prophet thing to serious as I dont either.
      Likes N/A liked this post.
      Hug N/A hugged this poster.

Thanks for your comment.

Thanks for your advice. My psychiatrist who I have known for well over 15 years now always asks me before my consultation (since we have been discussing this issue for 14 years) "Whats the Holy Spirit being saying to you" I only listen I never act on the voice that speaks to me. Only when I'm told things like you got work to do. Theres the washing, theres the dishes, theres the vaccumming or you need to have a shower, dont think the toothbrush is going to jump up and brush your teeth now go to the bathroom and brush your teeth. So I hear loud and clear good commands. Dont be too sure about it being a DELUSION however I'm sure I have asked this questions thousands of times are these auditory hallucinations or am I hearing from God.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
      My Mood
      Mellow

I can relate to this.

I am sorry that this might be confusing for you, but I believe some people really do hear the Holy Spirit guide them.

You will know whether the voice is from God or not by the fruits it bears.

My Mood
      Happy

Hi Troubled,
      If I may add a tad of insight to your comment about "try hard to see what you are going through as an illness"...I would like to add, try even harder to see the delusion for exactly what it is...a comment, maybe even a suggestion and nothing more. In my opinion, it is not an illness. It hurts me when anyone that hears voices or is labeled with schizophrenia views themselves as having an "illness". I do understand this is how the mental health profession views it and has labeled it so, but only because they have no other answers and it is the best they can do with the information they have. Again, my opinion, it is our lack of self-esteem which comes from not believing in ourselves. It is doubt. The most powerful tool we have is believing in ourselves whole heartedly. If we can do this, nothing else will have control over us. This does not mean let the ego take charge

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast