Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electro convulsive therapy

My Mood
      Crappy

Question Electro convulsive therapy

Does anyone else with severe depression want electro convulsive therapy? I do. It seems my brain is resistant to medications for depression. What are the bad side effects of electro convulsive therapy? Would it be worth it? Please share your thoughts.
      Hug Mayflower7 hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Cheerful

My last Psychiatrist explained it and recommended it to me. I don't want to discourage you but something doesn't sit right with me about it.

When I heard about it, I'm just like, oh that can't be good.

I would do a lot of research before trying it.
      Maybe we're not meant to be fixed. Our brokenness refracts the Light in more beautiful ways.
      Thanks iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH gave thanks for this post.
      Hug iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH hugged this poster.

http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjpva1C3gypWvOf7iONui1g/videos
      This site does not align itself to any one political, religious, medical or cultural bias.
      Likes iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH liked this post.

My Mood
      Tired

Hi,
      It can cause memory loss obviously anything that triggers seizures isn't good. I do hope you respond to something else, have you tried combination therapy i.e. Two different drugs.
      Take care

My Mood
      Inspired

I wouldn't have it. It makes no logical sense. We try to keep people with seizure disorders from having seizures because seizures cause brain damage. Yet we turn around and tell the mentally ill that deliberately causing severe seizures is going to make the brain all better. Huh??

There are other therapies that involve brain stimulation that have a wonderful success rate without frying the brain to the point that the paralysis medicines are all that's keeping you from breaking your own bones. The brain is designed to operate on electric current that is in the 70 millivolt range (0.07 volts) and they pump up to 470 volts in your brain. What would happen to the computer you are typing on if you pumped roughly 6800 times the amount of electricity it's supposed to run on through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Izera View Post
      I wouldn't have it. It makes no logical sense. We try to keep people with seizure disorders from having seizures because seizures cause brain damage. Yet we turn around and tell the mentally ill that deliberately causing severe seizures is going to make the brain all better. Huh??

There are other therapies that involve brain stimulation that have a wonderful success rate without frying the brain to the point that the paralysis medicines are all that's keeping you from breaking your own bones. The brain is designed to operate on electric current that is in the 70 millivolt range (0.07 volts) and they pump up to 470 volts in your brain. What would happen to the computer you are typing on if you pumped roughly 6800 times the amount of electricity it's supposed to run on through it?
      Can't we say very similar about psychiatric drugs? That how is ingesting toxic chemicals meant to heal the brain? & comparable to pouring a gloup into my computer when there's a problem with it, or hitting it with a hammer.

What Do We Really Know About How Our Brains Work?

"Consider this extraordinary reality. The human brain has more individual cells (neurons) than there are stars in the sky. Billions! And each neuron may have 10,000 or more connections (synapses) to other brain cells, creating a network with trillions of interconnections. In fact, the brain is considered to be the most complex organ in the entire universe. With it's billions of neurons & trillions of synapses, it is more complex than the entire physical universe of planets, stars & galaxies.

Scientists have well-developed ideas about how the physical universe works. They posses mathematical formulae for describing the various forces that control the relationships among physical entities from black holes to subatomic particles. All these forces also affect the human brain. However, the living processes of the brain add complexities unknown in the physical universe. Those trillions of interconnections between brain cells, for example, are mediated by hundreds of chemical messengers (neurotransmitters), as well as by hormones, proteins, tiny ions such as sodium & potassium, & other substances. We have limited knowledge about how a few of these chemical messengers work, but little or no idea as to how they combine to produce brain function."

Quoted from "Your Drug May be Your Problem" by Peter R. Breggin

& that's a very 'simple' overview when also factoring in other brain functioning levels.
      This site does not align itself to any one political, religious, medical or cultural bias.

Quote Originally Posted by iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH View Post
      Does anyone else with severe depression want electro convulsive therapy? I do. It seems my brain is resistant to medications for depression. What are the bad side effects of electro convulsive therapy? Would it be worth it? Please share your thoughts.
      TMS is progressing -

Transcranial magnetic stimulation -

Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia

https://thebrainstimulator.net/brain...on-comparison/

There's a whole underground movement with people experimenting with this technology themselves, although i would advise caution in trying it.
      Likes naominash liked this post.

My Mood
      Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by cpuusage View Post
      TMS is progressing -

Transcranial magnetic stimulation -

Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia

A Comparison of Brain Stimulation Techniques

There's a whole underground movement with people experimenting with this technology themselves, although i would advise caution in trying it.
      That's a good one, I hear. Very safe and so far the anecdotal evidence is very positive.
      Thanks cpuusage, iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH gave thanks for this post.

ACCOUNT CLOSED
      My Mood
      Blah

Quote Originally Posted by iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH View Post
      Bad side effects are feeling lost,confused and severe loss of memory,and/or brain damage.
      I had loss of short term memory but it lightened my severe depression and stopped my suicidal thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Izera View Post
      That's a good one, I hear. Very safe and so far the anecdotal evidence is very positive.
      It's less brutal & slightly more sophisticated than ECT.

Electromedical areas are increasing in sophistication, & will become more standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast