Thread: Depression and anti inflammatory drugs

Default Depression and anti inflammatory drugs

Depression: A revolution in treatment? - BBC News

He's at the forefront of this new approach: "Recent history is telling us if we want to make therapeutic breakthroughs in an area which remains incredibly important in terms of disability and suffering then we've got to think differently."
      The focus is on an errant immune system causing inflammation in the body and altering mood.
      And Prof Bullmore argues that's something we can all relate to, if we just think back to the last time we had a cold or flu.
      He said: "Depression and inflammation often go hand in hand, if you have flu, the immune system reacts to that, you become inflamed and very often people find that their mood changes too.
      "Their behaviour changes, they may become less sociable, more sleepy, more withdrawn.
      "They may begin to have some of the negative ways of thinking that are characteristic of depression and all of that follows an infection."
      Last edited by RubyGloom; 10-01-17 at 18:36.

Senior Member BorderlineDownunder's Avatar
      My Mood
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RubyGloom View Post
      Depression: A revolution in treatment? - BBC News

He's at the forefront of this new approach: "Recent history is telling us if we want to make therapeutic breakthroughs in an area which remains incredibly important in terms of disability and suffering then we've got to think differently."
      The focus is on an errant immune system causing inflammation in the body and altering mood.
      And Prof Bullmore argues that's something we can all relate to, if we just think back to the last time we had a cold or flu.
      He said: "Depression and inflammation often go hand in hand, if you have flu, the immune system reacts to that, you become inflamed and very often people find that their mood changes too.
      "Their behaviour changes, they may become less sociable, more sleepy, more withdrawn.
      "They may begin to have some of the negative ways of thinking that are characteristic of depression and all of that follows an infection."
      this isn't exactly news, although encouraging that it may be getting more traction.

It is known that many BPD sufferers, myself included, have a compromised immune system because the immune system is forming at the same time the personality is forming.

Before the age of 2, they suspect.

I even have a thread on it, its called Somatic Illness and addresses all the weird and wonderful illnesses I am prone to that are basically, BPD related.

Interesting, thanks RubyGloom. I've been very low the past few days so after reading this i thought taking a couple of ibuprofen was worth a shot and i dunno if its the placebo factor but i do feel a little better. Not glorious, but more manageably depressed. Interesting. I tried to start on an anti inflammatory diet last year but never got into the full swing of it (sugar is my one true love) and then didn't have so much control once i was back in hospital. I should try again i think. I wonder if others have tried this? I'm sure someone here mentioned it to me. Thanks RG, you have inspired me!
      Likes RubyGloom liked this post.

I've noticed for years that anti inflammatories make my mood go buzzy the days after taking them, not always a good buzzy. Normally take nurofen (only for migraines because it upsets my insides), but I was given diclofenac once and it turned me into a total idiot at work, I couldn't remember one thing to the next, lol.

Christ, they make you buzzy? Maybe you have a sensitivity to them or something? That must be a little bit worrying for you. Have you ever been tempted to use the effect to your advantage? I've already been googling the long term effects of taking ibuprofen regularly to see if it can help me surf through my post psychoses depressions People with high blood pressure take aspirin every day sometimes right, so once every other day or something is probably not bad if i don't carry on for years... Ugh, dr google, it either persuades you to go totally unorthodox with 'treatments' or it tells you you are about to die