Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work

My Mood
      Breezy

Default Work

I work 5 days a week, full time.

I get holidays where I aim to have 'recovery time' and rest.

I am struggling with it.

I just seem to grit my teeth to get through everyday. Until I have some time off. But my time off is never enough for me to make a full recovery anymore.

So when I go back to work, I am drained again.

How much do you work and how do you cope?

My Mood
      Breezy

I wonder whether people who don't have mental health problems also feel like this?
      Take care
      Likes RubyGloom, Pixieb34 liked this post.

My Mood
      Fine

I have paranoid schizophrenia and recently went back to work on a part-time basis. There is no way I could consider full-time work, it would just be far too much for me. At the moment, I have a nice work life balance.

If you can afford it, and your employers are understanding, could you consider working part-time?

Best wishes
      'I'm not my diagnosis. I have good days and bad days, but I'm not contagious. I'm just human'.
      Thanks Tonic gave thanks for this post.
      Likes fidget, Pixieb34 liked this post.

I only volunteer part time. I would be good you could go part time, you're doing very well to keep working. I found being with people hard at work, was ok when left in office alone to get stuff done, but the other women made problems and had fights with each other! The actual work was simple! I prefer working on my own or at my volunteering, with other ill people who don't bully or do office feuds.
      Hug blacksmoke hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Breezy

Thanks for your replies.

I have been looking at job adverts this evening, so thinking about different jobs that are around.

The job itself I actually like. It suits my personality.

The things I can't cope with are things that I face at work which I can't deal with that have nothing to do with the work itself (especially a member of the public who I am scared of and it completely ruins my day if I see them. I am always scared I will see them). Also like Pixieb34 said, the bitchy dynamics of working with some women (and some of the men tbh).

There are plenty of decent people at work. But when you get a small minority of people who are not nice, it brings everything down.

It is comforting to know I am not the only one who feels like this.

I am not sure why I push myself to work full time. I started work 2 days a week and then I went to 5 days a week. I don't think I have every really managed but I always pretend I do.

I have always considered reducing my hours, which is an option open to me. But I always say to myself, I will just get through this period and see how I feel after my Christmas break or my Easter break etc.

There may be times when I have coped alright.

I don't know if I am going through a depressed period at the moment (I am) and if the way I feel about work is just due to that, or whether there is a real problem that needs to be addressed (I.e. Get a new job).

I feel like if I reduce my hours I will be taking a step back in my recovery. But what I want is to keep getting stronger and have a future.

I need such a lot of sleep at the moment. I seem to need at least 9 hours a night. But of course when I am working I can only really get 6 or 7 if I am lucky. It is just not enough for me.

I feel so uncomfortable by the end of the day. All I want to do is have a Bath and go to bed. And that is what I do!
      Take care

Don't feel bad for reducing your hours, there's people like me doing a hell of lot less than you. Maybe you could replace the hours you cut from work ( if you do cut your hours) and swap them for some soothing activity, some people say swimming, drawing or walks raise feel good chemicals. You are doing well to be working, don't feel bad about yourself. The sleep thing- it's meant to be vital to mental health to get enough sleep, so maybe you should rest more. Resting sounds lazy but if you don't rest and get ill you won't be doing as well as work and most importantly, you would feel rubbish. Put your health first. Also I'm unsure about this, but I think it said somewhere that people with mental problems should make time for therapy every day. I think by therapy would mean like, half an hour of doing breathing exercises or blogging how your feeling, whatever helps calm you.
      Thanks blurrypeach gave thanks for this post.
      Likes burt tomato, Tonic, blurrypeach, Coast2 liked this post.

My Mood
      Breezy

Thanks.

I have never heard about the advice to do therapy everyday but I think it sounds like a helpful idea. I find walking therapeutic so I might do that.

Recently I have been too tired to walk.
      I have rested this weekend and taken it very easy.

I was able to rest, which sometimes I can't. Sometimes I feel agitated or stressed and can't feel relaxed.

I am trying to get early nights now. This is helping a bit.
      Take care

I've just come out of hospital recently and today was my first day back at work.

I had been full-time for a year before this hospital admission, and before that I'd been working 4 days a week.

I think full-time is too much for me, I'm diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic.

I'm planning on working a few days a week and may stick with it.

I also get extremely tired like mentioned and think a day or so extra break is good. I just don't know if i'll get any support yet, and may be forced to go back full-time due to financial circumstances, though I expect some bumps along the way.
      Hug Coast2 hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Bitchy

Hi Tonic
      I work two days a week, sometimes three. At first just working two days exhausted me. Now I seem to be stronger and I am ok with three. i really don't think I can handle 5 days a week. So congrats on working 5!
      Maybe you could go down to 4? That would give you an extra day of sleep and clearing your mind. I don't think that would be a set back, if you were able to afford it. Plus would 4 days still give you insurance benefits?
      Most people hate the mundane day to day grind of going to work, getting up early, etc etc.
      Very few people really love their job, whether depressed or not.

I gave up working once I realised I was contributing nothing and sapping everything. Ever since then I have been my own boss. I've never been more free since giving up limiting beliefs. It took a LOT of hard knocks to finally see that the power to overcoming projected ideals and the damage such instills; comes from the power within ... not from an external source that drives the economic wheel and perpetuates worldwide imbalance.

You ask - "How much do you work and how do you cope?"

I work everyday and every moment I'm awake ... even in my sleep. I get by because it's purely a matter of perspective. Moreover, one I have accepted.
      Last edited by Ponder; 20-01-17 at 04:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast