Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosting serotonin naturally

Default Boosting serotonin naturally

Hello there, this is my first ever post.

I am 36 years old. When I was 20, I was diagnosed with OCD by a psychiatrist who prescribed SSRIs. All seemed to go well but after 4 months, the pills got me mania, one of their side effects. The psychiatrist started changing pills to bring down the mania. Eventually this worked. He started bringing down my pills until he removed them all. I saw a psychologist for a year and then quit everything and did not take a pill until a week ago. (16 years)

I suffered from a bad patch recently and saw a psychiatrist who prescribed a mood stabilising drug. I took one pill but the next day I felt really bad and had some suicidal thoughts. So I decided to not take the pills and try and heal naturally.

I started looking for things that increase serotonin naturally on the internet.

The list I gathered made me realise that my lifestyle was contributing to me feeling anxious and in need of pills.

I started exercising 30 minutes a day, 15 minutes in the morning (crosstrainer) and 15 minutes in the evening.
      I had recently quit multi vitamins, I resumed them. Within the multivitamins there is Vitamin B6 which boosts serotonin.
      I stopped drinking tea and coffee and shifted to green tea which boosts serotonin.
      I increased my sleeping time from 6 hours to 8 hours.
      I had a hobby which was occupying most of my free time and had become more like a chore, so now I just dedicate it an hour a day.
      I started taking baths instead of showers.
      I started eating fruit after meals.
      I stopped eating junk food.
      I try to seek some minutes in the sun when possible.
      I reduced smoking to 4 cigarettes a day
      I reduced alcohol consumption to 0-1 units a day

It seems to be working. My anxiety levels have dropped. Sleep has improved too. So did my moods.

In no way am I advocating to anyone to stop their medications. This must always be done by discussing with one's doctor.

I just wanted to share my experience with you, maybe someone can get something out of it.
      Thanks Tonic, cpuusage, naominash, CarpeDentum gave thanks for this post.
      Likes Tonic, Coast2, Kerome, cpuusage, CarpeDentum liked this post.

My Mood
      Blah

Hello fireman80

I applaud your methods and agree,while I don't encourage people to cut their medicines out cold turkey without advice from their GP,I really think your way of healing your illness works best.I also made changes to my diet and started taking vitamin supplements, I take all the B complex, vit C,vitD etc and also gingseng and CQ10 and others like fish oils omega 3.I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and drink green tea a lot as well as ginger tea and I eat lots of garlic and herbs,I also drink fennel tea.

I think you are doing all the right things reducing tobacco intake,and alcohol and getting some exercise.

Sharing our experiences on here helps a a lot, we can help each to heal by sharing what works for us.You will like this forum,we are helpful to each other and caring,friendly and understanding.
      Welcome again and a Happy New Year to you and yours.Nikitax
      Mind. Its chief activity consists in the endeavour to ascertain its own nature, the futility of the attempt being due to the fact that it has nothing but itself to know itself with.
      Likes Coast2 liked this post.

My Mood
      Cool

Hello there, yes i had a similar experience with SSRI's, mania, intense anxiety and suicide inpulses, so i stay off them now. I changed to a similar program of running, green tea, vitamins and fish oil and noticed a good shift in mood as well and some meditation. I let the diet and running slip when i had the flu and over christmas unfortunately and my mood and sleeping has just plummeted, but this has reminded me to get back on it, so thankyou for that. Part of the problem is when i start to feel better, i ease off on the routine so must keep it up. I am off for a run and dig out those vitamins! Happy New Year !

My Mood
      Lonely

I have heard that cauliflower and dark chocolate and bananas also naturally boost serotonin.
      Babette ate oatmeal

My Mood
      Lonely

Going outside. Walking in the countryside and gardening seem to always work for me.
      Babette ate oatmeal
      Likes Kerome liked this post.

My Mood
      Mellow

Running and, or, the gym is brilliant for boosting serotonin levels.

Foods high in serotonin are turkey, lamb, eggs, beef and chicken.
      It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is strength and there is beauty.

Maya Angelou
      Likes Tonic liked this post.

My Mood
      Cheerful

The combination of exercise and meditation is also a good stabiliser and helps a number of mental health conditions. Since you're already doing the exercise all you need to do is add 20 mins of mindfulness meditation to your day.
      Happiness is when what you say, what you think and what you do are in harmony.
      - Mahatma Ghandhi

My Mood
      Mellow

I've had a really good day today. I've boosted my serotonin levels naturally using food and gentle exercise. I've eaten three healthy meals, all high in protein, and I walked 3 miles in the park in the morning and another 2 miles this evening. I'm on a health kick and I'm feeling so much better.
      It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is strength and there is beauty.

Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Kerome View Post
      The combination of exercise and meditation is also a good stabiliser and helps a number of mental health conditions. Since you're already doing the exercise all you need to do is add 20 mins of mindfulness meditation to your day.
      Thanks Kerome, I will explore the meditation option

Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
      I have heard that cauliflower and dark chocolate and bananas also naturally boost serotonin.
      bananas are complex carbohydrates so yes they are good for serotonon. The dark chocolate is also good, but it must be at least 80%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast