Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boosting serotonin naturally

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2 View Post
      I'm glad you had a good day, let's hope the game changes with your meds and you have far more good days than you do bad.
      Thanks Coast2

Quote Originally Posted by fireman80 View Post
      Hello there, this is my first ever post.

I am 36 years old. When I was 20, I was diagnosed with OCD by a psychiatrist who prescribed SSRIs. All seemed to go well but after 4 months, the pills got me mania, one of their side effects. The psychiatrist started changing pills to bring down the mania. Eventually this worked. He started bringing down my pills until he removed them all. I saw a psychologist for a year and then quit everything and did not take a pill until a week ago. (16 years)

I suffered from a bad patch recently and saw a psychiatrist who prescribed a mood stabilising drug. I took one pill but the next day I felt really bad and had some suicidal thoughts. So I decided to not take the pills and try and heal naturally.

I started looking for things that increase serotonin naturally on the internet.

The list I gathered made me realise that my lifestyle was contributing to me feeling anxious and in need of pills.

I started exercising 30 minutes a day, 15 minutes in the morning (crosstrainer) and 15 minutes in the evening.
      I had recently quit multi vitamins, I resumed them. Within the multivitamins there is Vitamin B6 which boosts serotonin.
      I stopped drinking tea and coffee and shifted to green tea which boosts serotonin.
      I increased my sleeping time from 6 hours to 8 hours.
      I had a hobby which was occupying most of my free time and had become more like a chore, so now I just dedicate it an hour a day.
      I started taking baths instead of showers.
      I started eating fruit after meals.
      I stopped eating junk food.
      I try to seek some minutes in the sun when possible.
      I reduced smoking to 4 cigarettes a day
      I reduced alcohol consumption to 0-1 units a day

It seems to be working. My anxiety levels have dropped. Sleep has improved too. So did my moods.

In no way am I advocating to anyone to stop their medications. This must always be done by discussing with one's doctor.

I just wanted to share my experience with you, maybe someone can get something out of it.
      I'm trying to taper off my medication. I have to get back on top of the exercise but I've been making healthier eating choices and making green leafy smoothies.

I feel great too. We can do this! I honestly believe nutrition and exercise is the key to managing mental illness.

We just have to be on top of it more than most people.
      Maybe we're not meant to be fixed. Our brokenness refracts the Light in more beautiful ways.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by naominash View Post
      I'm trying to taper off my medication. I have to get back on top of the exercise but I've been making healthier eating choices and making green leafy smoothies.

I feel great too. We can do this! I honestly believe nutrition and exercise is the key to managing mental illness.

We just have to be on top of it more than most people.
      i'm sceptical of the claims of Orthomolecular medicine, but some people claim it works miracles. i was reading the account of someone who claimed cured himself of severe mental illness with this regimen:

Vitamin B3
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin D
      Omega 3s (chia, flax, hemp)
      Spirulina
      Nutritional Yeast

5gs a day or more as needed of each, up to 10-15g, (which is like 10-20 times more than EMPower) but start with 500 mgs of Niacin (B3) until you're used to the effects because it makes you feel hot and itchy and very red, but thats just blood flow to the brain and body increasing. If you take it twice a day everyday that will fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by cpuusage View Post
      i'm sceptical of the claims of Orthomolecular medicine, but some people claim it works miracles. i was reading the account of someone who claimed cured himself of severe mental illness with this regimen:

Vitamin B3
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin D
      Omega 3s (chia, flax, hemp)
      Spirulina
      Nutritional Yeast

5gs a day or more as needed of each, up to 10-15g, (which is like 10-20 times more than EMPower) but start with 500 mgs of Niacin (B3) until you're used to the effects because it makes you feel hot and itchy and very red, but thats just blood flow to the brain and body increasing. If you take it twice a day everyday that will fade away.
      Yeah, that Spirulinaaa!

I just learned about it. It's like an algae that takes toxins out of your body and gives you energy.

Soon I hope to be able to afford these kinds of supplements and superfoods. Especially Omega 3's, B3, D, C, and Zinc.

Edit: Also want to get plenty of probiotic foods so I can absorb them properly.
      Last edited by naominash; 08-01-17 at 22:59.
      Maybe we're not meant to be fixed. Our brokenness refracts the Light in more beautiful ways.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123