Thread: Risperidone causes lethargy, tiredness and depression?

My Mood
      Mellow

Default Risperidone causes lethargy, tiredness and depression?

Hi all,

I'm interested in your experiences of Risperidone. Has it caused tiredness, lethargy and depression?

Following a long psychotic episode, I've been taking 3mg of Risperidone daily - my pyschosis has gone, but I feel incredibly flat, really tired and my depression seems to have worsened despite taking an antidepressant daily also.

Before taking Risperidone I ran about 30 - 40 miles a week, now i find it hard to find the motivation to walk up the shop. Additionally, I just can't seem to find the will to do anything and I just want lounge on the couch all day.

I want to stop the Risperidone because I feel like all the life has been sucked out of me, but I'm terribly fearful of the psychosis returning. I've been told i have to stay on the drug for a year but I just want to feel like me again. I start a temporary job on the 3rd January for three days a week and I'm worrying how on earth I'm going to manage the awful side effects from the drug.

I've read from non medical sources that Risperidone causes a reduction in dopamine in the brain, which might account for these symptoms, and i also read it is a depressant. As I say, it has cleared up my pyschosis, but I am fearful of a recurrence if I stop taking it.

Has anyone experienced similar?

My official diagnosis is Paranoid Schizophrenia by the way.
      It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is strength and there is beauty.

Maya Angelou
      Hug NeatMonster hugged this poster.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Hi Coast2,

My only real experience with Risperidone is that of exaggerated anxiety. For me, it had the almost immediate effect of making me unduly anxious about things; about everything, without the presence of any triggers or stressors. It didn't cause the tiredness and lethargy but that may be because I didn't remain on it for long enough to notice. Same with the depression you spoke of; it may be that this would have developed over time, had I remained on it.

Because of the extreme anxiety it introduced my psychiatrist discontinued it very quickly; far more quickly than would have otherwise been recommended. He replaced it with Olanzapine. Olanzapine had the same effect on me after a while as Risperidone had on you ... it took away my motivation so that all I wanted to do was vegetate. All the running that I did before hand just fell to the wayside and I stopped boxing and kickboxing altogether.

Sorry I can't be of more help Coast2. The best one for me personally has been the one I've just started again; Aripiprazole. We're all different of course.

Here's hoping you get settled soon and that your motivation and enthusiasm come back again. I'm sure they will in time

Take care,

Monster
      Thanks Coast2 gave thanks for this post.

My Mood
      Mellow

Quote Originally Posted by NeatMonster View Post
      Hi Coast2,

My only real experience with Risperidone is that of exaggerated anxiety. For me, it had the almost immediate effect of making me unduly anxious about things; about everything, without the presence of any triggers or stressors. It didn't cause the tiredness and lethargy but that may be because I didn't remain on it for long enough to notice. Same with the depression you spoke of; it may be that this would have developed over time, had I remained on it.

Because of the extreme anxiety it introduced my psychiatrist discontinued it very quickly; far more quickly than would have otherwise been recommended. He replaced it with Olanzapine. Olanzapine had the same effect on me after a while as Risperidone had on you ... it took away my motivation so that all I wanted to do was vegetate. All the running that I did before hand just fell to the wayside and I stopped boxing and kickboxing altogether.

Sorry I can't be of more help Coast2. The best one for me personally has been the one I've just started again; Aripiprazole. We're all different of course.

Here's hoping you get settled soon and that your motivation and enthusiasm come back again. I'm sure they will in time

Take care,

Monster
      Hi Monster,

Thanks for your response. I'm really glad that your Mojo has returned with the Aripiprazole and that you're running and kickboxing again. For me personally, exercise has always been my most powerful tool to fight depression, so I'm desperate to get motivated again.

I'm glad you shared your experience of the drug as I too have been experiencing chronic anxiety in addition to general apathy and depression, but the depression has probably worsened because of the lack of exercise also. I've put on a stone in weight too, but I was lean anyway so I'm not too bothered about the weight gain.

I'm seeing my support worker next week so I'll mention my symptoms to her and see what she says.

Thanks again for your response.

Best wishes
      It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is strength and there is beauty.

Maya Angelou
      Thanks NeatMonster gave thanks for this post.
      Hug NeatMonster hugged this poster.

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2 View Post
      Hi Monster,

Thanks for your response. I'm really glad that your Mojo has returned with the Aripiprazole and that you're running and kickboxing again. For me personally, exercise has always been my most powerful tool to fight depression, so I'm desperate to get motivated again.

I'm glad you shared your experience of the drug as I too have been experiencing chronic anxiety in addition to general apathy and depression, but the depression has probably worsened because of the lack of exercise also. I've put on a stone in weight too, but I was lean anyway so I'm not too bothered about the weight gain.

I'm seeing my support worker next week so I'll mention my symptoms to her and see what she says.

Thanks again for your response.

Best wishes
      Hi Coast2,

You're welcome. I hope your support worker can help in this respect. I'll cross my fingers for you.

For me the weight gain came with Olanzapine; it made me endlessly hungry and completely lacking in motivation. I think the depression has a huge bearing on exercise, from experience. Once the depression has taken hold the exercise just slips away gradually and the whole thing seems to snowball from there.

I think you'll bounce back though Coast2; you always seem to have an optimistic outlook, even during tough times; I think that helps a great deal when things are difficult.

Good luck and take care,
      Thanks Coast2 gave thanks for this post.
      Likes Coast2 liked this post.

I was on it too, though I was also on quetiapine at the same time. Risperidone was added because I still had issues with psychotic symptoms even after some time on quetiapine. I also felt tired & zombiesque most of the time, I slept about 10-12 hrs a day when on those meds. In my experience, these meds helped stabilize me from the psychosis & anxiety, but once I was stable they were really dragging me down & impaired my decision making and mental autonomy so much that I couldn't see how much they affected me. I stopped risperidone without consulting my doctors because I wanted more waking time each day during a vacation in Europe. It probably wasn't wise, but turned out fine. I saw a positive difference immediately, I had more energy & felt alive again, so I also stopped quetiapine.

I registered to post just for this. I hope this will be advice.

I would get off risperidone immediately!

It has ruined my life. Just google search, there are countless horror stories.

I believe I had a panic attack misdiagnosed as a psychotic break. I was hospitalized (voluntarily) My symptoms disappeared day 1 in the hospital after 1 mg of risperidone. The doctor was very unsympathetic and accused me of lying and hiding my symptoms. I eventually released myself a week later, the doctor wanted to keep me there for 3 weeks minimum. I left taking 3 mg of risperidone. I used to be an active, ambitious, high energy person. The first couple weeks I still had my interests and ambition. I slept 10+ hours a day, I needed naps, but when I was awake I was tired but my mind was active.

About the third week in that disappeared. My sex drive was gone. My interests were gone, I had extreme anhedonia. I began to decrease risperidone over the next 3 weeks. The first 2 days off of it were terrible, I was just laying in bed in pain. I then started taking 2 mg of abilify. I still sleep 9-10 hours. I can't maintain erections. I still need naps. I get joy from nothing. I feel so flat. It might seem I am angry, but I can't even get mad about my situation.

After 3 months of abilify I have stopped. I said enough is enough, I need my life back. I am now on 100 mg of buprobion, an antidepressant. I have been taking it almost a week, I'm still dead. A lot of people on low abilify doses feel a pick me up, I didn't. I still believe risperidone killed me.

Risperidone is not worth the risks. I think most likely years later you will be one of the people posting about how lifeless you are even post risperidone. Try something lighter. Psychiatrists don't have your best interests at heart. They do want to get rid of your symptoms, but they are not concerned with the costs. In my experience rather than starting with milder drugs psychiatrists suggest going heavy, and then going light. This ensures getting rid of symptoms easier, but its damaging. Ask to get abilify, or a milder drug. Only go to heavier drugs one those fail.

Doctors will try and tell you that psychotic breaks lead to anhedonia, at least mine did in a bid to keep me on the drugs. This has to be false. Anti-psychotics lower dopamaine, which regulates your sense of rewards. Right now my brain is telling me there is no reward and joy for doing anything. Nothing could be more logical then to conclude that anti-psychotics, not psychosis, causes anhedonia.

The whole idea that anyone experiencing something unexplained is psychotic and anti-psychotics is the answer is ill founded.

How could the answer to every report of hallucinations and delusions be to nuke someone's dopamaine system? Anti-psychotics are a progress in medicine, but we have to be kidding ourselves if we think 500 years from now the gold standard in treating psychosis will be to inhibit the dopamaine system. I believe anti-psychotics can help, but don't think of it as anything other than a sledgehammer. I believe medical history will remember these as we remember old prison like mental institutions.
      Last edited by Parrot; 13-03-17 at 19:34.

My Mood
      Brooding

If you decide to come off it, definitely come off it slowly. I stopped taking it quite suddenly last year and had a major episode.

I agree it's not great though. I was definitely more depressed and I couldn't do much at all.