Thread: Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend

Default Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend

Mental Health Forum
      Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend. Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend.

Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend.
      Thread: Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend.
      Reply to Thread

Unsubscribe from this Thread
      Tags: boyfriend, Employment, family, no job, struggle
      Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend.
      Lonelygirlfriend said:
      18-11-16 23:24
      Default Fed up with defending my choice to stay with depressed and anxious boyfriend.
      Hey, I'm new. I really am just reaching out to people in a similar situation. My boyfriend of 18 months who I have known for much longer suffers with Anxiety and depression, I knew this when we got together but was not aware of the true extent of his struggle. He is medicated and has been diagnosed for over 15 years. He Is 30 I am 26. His struggle stems from deep routed feelings of worthlessness and self doubt and never feels good enough. This has lead to two failed university degrees that he didn't finish and been unable to stay in employment due to anxiety over not doing the job well enough ect. He is now having cbt. Which we all hope will help. He does amazingly all things considered and I'm proud of him for many things and love him very much. We have a strong relationship.
      My struggle now. Is he is turning 31. He lives with his parents has no money to his name and no idea on the area of employment he wants. So he avoids dealing with the problem as he would do with his condition. As you all know asking him about it causes further anxiety so it's buried over and over again. I'm starting to worry about our future. I really can not express how much I love him and how willing to support him I am. But a part of me worries about the fact we will never afford a home together, even renting on my income alone is difficult I have my own flat at the moment but he won't move in as his parents home where he currently lives is his comfort blanket and he dosnt think he will cope well in my flat ( alarm bells ring for me here too! Does this mean my already 30 year old boyfriend will never move out from his parents home!) so will we never marry? It certainly looks like we will never afford to have children!
      Part of my problem I feel is iv always been a hard worker had a job since I was 12, went to university and worked my heart out and I'm in a career I love. I really struggle, even when I know it stems from emotions out of his control, With the fact he seems Un aware thst by not working he is taking away our opertunities for the future. I know if I mention this fact it will make him worse abd I know that he looks like he dosnt care on the days he is caring the most and that's why he dosnt get up until 3 or answer any emails or text ect ect.
      I just want to speak to people who understand. My family know of his struggles as I wanted to be honest with them however my family don't really 'belive in depression' they are very much get up and get on with it and provide for your family. Iv pointed them to resources explaining that my boyfriend isn't lazy it's a medical condition but this makes them even more set on the idea I'm throwing my life away by staying with him. This is a battle I face whenever I see my family and I'm finding it hard to keep myself positive.
      I know my boyfriend is trying to get better and just getting out of bed is a battle won. Although I do feel he could try harder to find employment, he seems to think it will fall in his lap and is oblivious, I think to the knock on effect of not having worked for 30 years!
      I'm hoping the cbt will help but it's such a long process.
      When he is having off days I don't hear from him all day. And when I do he never asks about my day or how I am. I find this hard and insulting and rather selfish of him too!

Has anyone got any words of wisdom to keep my spirits up?
      Multi-Quote This Message
      Reply to Thread

Unsubscribe from this Thread

Log Out Full Site Top
      The messages on this forum and any links to external websites posted within the forum express the views of the respective authors. They do not necessarily represent the views of the administrators, moderators or any other forum member. Any advice posted here is for support purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for advice by a qualified professional.

The Mental Health Forum is run by Together For Change.