Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son is having mental health problems

My Mood
      Angelic

YOu can refer him to mental health services - family are listened to in these cases. You need to see the GP and tell him and just go over your son's head on this. It can be managed and some people only have one episode and are better again. Ithink this is serious enough to keep going back again and again until someone listens to you.
      “You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” Marcus Aurelius
      Thanks Nathan1976 gave thanks for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderlineDownunder View Post
      Nathan

perhaps the most immediate step you can take is to get YOURSELF some support. put the oxygen mask on the parent first, the airlines say, otherwise the kids have no one to look after them.

monkey see monkey do, if he sees YOU reaching out for help, hes more likely to ask for some also.

BDU
      Quote Originally Posted by fidget View Post
      It sounds like you're handling this as well as you can, he is lucky to have you there for him. It must be exhausting walking on eggshells and not knowing what is going on but you are right, he can't be forced to talk. I wish i had some real advice for you, it sounds incredibly tough and there is no way of knowing what the "right" course of action is. Do you get any support for this yourself? A partner or a counsellor?
      I don't currently get support myself, I don't see a counsellor and I don't have a partner (I'm a widower) my job is to to support my boys first. I'm considering it though, the whole situation has drained me emotionally, just don't really have time. Luckily my sister helps me with the boys sometimes so I'm not alone. I'm just trying to take it one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by calypso View Post
      YOu can refer him to mental health services - family are listened to in these cases. You need to see the GP and tell him and just go over your son's head on this. It can be managed and some people only have one episode and are better again. Ithink this is serious enough to keep going back again and again until someone listens to you.
      That's really helpful thank you, I think this is my only option. I just hope someone will listen and take me seriously.

Hi Nathan, I know its a while since you posted and I hope that you and your son now have the support that you need. What your son is experiencing sounds very familiar. My Husband suffers episodes of psychosis which are very similar to this. The good news is that the right support can make a huge difference. Let me know if theres any support I can offer, its a long hard road, but it can improve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12