Thread: what about me?

Default what about me?

Its really starting to bug me that no one ever asks me how I am... Yea I'm great thanks!! My partner is a schizophrenic, who by the way has been pacing about all day and wont get his meds for his restlessness and its driving me crazy, I have a baby my anxiety is through the roof just now and I don't sleep,,, but trying to explain to someone all this is like just speaking to a brick wall. So I'll take that back and tell everyone "yea I'm fine thanks"

My Mood
      Tired

Hi,
      It is hard being a carer, make sure you take care of yourself. I know how frustrating it is. Do you have family support, restlessness is horrible.
      I hope your partner becomes more stable, I hope your able to get more support.
      Here to listen.
      Take care
      Hug curlz hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Sad

Dealing with this is difficult. Sorry.
      Thanks curlz gave thanks for this post.

Hi Curlz,

It's tough and it's not really socially accepted to say "I'm not OK" is it, people don't know how to respond to this and its so much easier just to say "I'm fine thanks" often people struggle to know how to deal with people not being ok so don't even ask. Your needs are just as important as your partners and its hard work being Mum to a young child let alone caring for someone else too (who probably isn't fully able to do his part in the parenting right now either). I've found I often have to shout and stamp my feet to get heard too, especially by my husband. But I have found that once he realises I'm not ok he is able to be supportive even if he is relatively unwell at the time. Over the years I've got much better at telling people I'm not OK even if they don't ask! My GP, my collegues, my husbands MH team.

I think the other thing is people don't understand is what caring for someone else entails especially when that person is physically able and looks OK to the outside observer.
      Likes iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH liked this post.

I'm sorry you are going through a difficult time.
      Little Porcupine Goes to the Psyche Ward - available on Amazon Books