Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Cyclothymia?

Default What is Cyclothymia?

Cyclothymia :: Mental Health Issues :: Signpost UK

'Cyclothymia or cyclothymic disorder is a mental illness which causes people to experience mood swings which, in turn, affect their ability to carry out everyday tasks. Cyclothymia is often thought of as a mild form of bipolar disorder. The changes in mood that people experience are beyond what most people regard as the normal ups and downs of everyday life. The person's mood may change from feeling depressed to feeling very happy and energetic. However, these changes in mood are not extreme enough, nor do they last long enough, to qualify for a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.'

Bipolar UK | Home
      Cyclothymia

Individuals experience mood swings but at a much lower level. Symptoms must last for a period of at least two years, with no period longer than two months in which there has been a stable state and no mixed episodes. Although individuals diagnosed with cyclothymia are on the bipolar spectrum, the relative mildness of the mood swings means you are not diagnosed with bipolar. However cyclothymia can develop into bipolar.
      Last edited by amathus; 03-10-15 at 16:14.
      We are not text books.
      Thanks Unique1, Gajolene, Pollypop, Majorpal gave thanks for this post.
      Likes Pollypop, SweetieSwan liked this post.

Thanks for the clarification.

My Mood
      Lonely

Thank you for such a clear and understandable explanation.

I feel it answers a lot of my experiences.
      I have been mood stabilisers for years as well as many antidepressants.

I feel because I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and avoidant personality.
      I asked the psychiatrist if she thought I had anything like bipolar.
      She laughed and said if you had and I brought someone in, you would be dancing around naked.

The explanation you have given I can identify with.
      I may try to visit my GP and give her a clearer idea of how I feel.

I no longer have the psychiatrist and the team as so many mistakes have been made by them.

I only want to be involved with my GP.

Thank you once again,

Pollypop x

Ladygrey

What is hypo mania ?

My Mood
      Angelic

Hypomania is when you are highly energised, often highly creative or productive, talking too fast, not much insight into how you are being, flights of ideas from subject to subject - all that you see in mania, but not to the extreme of mania. Hypo means "under" like hypodermic, which means "under the skin". Does that help?
      A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
      Thanks N/A, Pollypop gave thanks for this post.
      Likes N/A, Pollypop, sadsadsad liked this post.

My Mood
      Confused

I beleive this answers my question. At the premature end of a career as a Paramedic, I was diagnosed with PTSD symptoms. The only reason it fell short of full PTSD, was I believe the size of my pension etc: which to this day, I have no idea who was fighting my corner, because I was too ill. For about ten years afterwards I was still prone to anxiety, panic attacks and avoidance tactics. It's 21 years now and I still take paroxetine. I avoid friendships and my mood swings are severe enough to debilitate me but I do manage to work with a head down pretend it's okay attitude. I'm better when I have a real purpose; especially if I can help others. Sadly such opportunities come rarely these days.
      Hug Pollypop hugged this poster.

Hello, could someone who has been diagnosed with cyclothymia share his personal experience in dealing with it, for example how does he/she act and feel during each of the cycles, how long do they last or change and how has this impacted their lives. Also what helped them in dealing with cyclothymia.

I believe I might be suffering from this disorder and have read about the symptoms but it would be very helpful to hear a personal experience to see if it further relates to what I'm going through. Thanks.
      Hug Pollypop hugged this poster.

My Mood
      Lonely

I'm so sorry I can't help with anything you have asked specifically.
      I recognise some of the symptoms myself but have not been officially diagnosed so
      I can't offer any advice or coping skills.

I do hope you manage to get a conclusive assessment.

Wishing you well.

Founding Member
      My Mood
      Scared

Can Disthymia in the heading?

My Mood
      Angelic

Cyclothymia like all the bipolar ranges is defined by the highs. When high, even in cyclothymia you lose some insight into behavior such as pressured speech, talking on and on, jumping from subject to subject with often no link between the subjects; spending suddenly far too much, being overtly sexual when this is out of character, being very happy often suddenly and can feel so positive anything is possible; sleeping much less, being more productive and so forth. There are online tests but they tend to leave out some of the defining signs.

Cyclothymia means there is no known reason for the behaviour and outside the normal for that person, so a person who normally talks incessantly hasn't got it necessarily. Its a milder form of bipolar but the depressions are still serious and need help. The cycling can be more depressions than highs.

The only way to know for sure is to be diagnosed by a person who can tease out whether the behaviour is within normal range for you or not. We can't diagnose ourselves as we don't have that experience and no-one on here can diagnose a person. I have bipolar 2 ( and one bipolar 1 eposode I am told) and have a lot of the above in a more pronounced way, and one of my signs that I am getting high is I start reading three books at once, whilst cooking and then painting the house then onto other activities, all within a day. I was stopped by the police and taken home for giving out 5 notes on the sea front to strangers as they all "needed" the money and I was suddenly wealthy. In my case I get psychotic quite quickly with hallucinations and delusions in the depressive phase - but that is the more serious form of bipolar.

Does that help?
      Last edited by calypso; 29-12-16 at 14:21.
      A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
      Likes sadsadsad liked this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast