The Mental Health Forum’s aim is to be “the friendliest place on the web to meet and discuss anything to do with mental health issues” .
We are run by a small number of volunteers with lives of our own who also may have or had mental health issues of one kind or another.
Please treat the Mental Health Forum with the same respect you would a public place.
- Be polite: Don’t post anything which could be considered as offensive, abusive, harmful to others or hate speech.
- Remain thoughtful: Don’t post anything obscene, sexually explicit or anything which could harm other members, or the people who visit our forum.
- Be courteous: towards each other. Don’t harass or trouble anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
- Respect our forum: Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalise the forum.
This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Please use these guidelines to help keep this a friendly place for discussion of mental health issues, and other issues of interest to our community members.
If you ever see anything on the forum which causes you concern, please report it by using the REPORT BUTTON which can be found underneath the post.
Posts that are or appear to be: irrelevant, flaming, personal insults, attacks, innuendo, attempts at provocation, offensive or harmful material, the real names of individuals, religious preaching/proselytizing, opinions which are portrayed as facts, copyrighted material, swear words in the titles, racist, ageist, homophobic, sexist, disablist, obscene, intolerant of beliefs/religions, not in English, advertising (without prior permission), and spam are likely to be edited or deleted.
We ask members to note the following specific rules:
- Research: Using the forum for research purposes is not permitted unless you are a member and have explicitly been granted permission through our research approval process. Details of what is required can be found here.
- Discussing Moderation on the Forum: We do not allow the discussion of specific moderation decisions on our forum.
- Termination of membership: We reserve the right to terminate the membership of any forum member.
- Accounts: Members must only have one account. Accounts being closed may be subject to a 48 hours cooling off period.
- Personal Safety: Do not post anything which could lead to your identity becoming known or that could risk your personal safety. If you have inadvertently done so, or if you spot personal information on the forum, please report the posts.
- We do not allow very offensive or harmful material, including explicit descriptions of self-harm methods, pro-anorexia posts and mention of specific suicide methods, such posts will be removed or edited.
- We do not allow the posting of photographs of members and / or their friends and families for privacy reasons.
- Signatures: Signatures shouldn’t be more than 3 lines of text, and mustn’t contain moving images or GIFS. You may have a small image, but must not be larger than roughly 3 lines of normal text.
- Links/Quoted Text: Links and any quoted text also needs to be accompanied by some thoughts / discussion / comments. For example: What is interesting / relevant / annoying etc about this article? Why have you posted it on the forum? What discussion would you like it to generate? Please note that only established members of our community may post links to other websites.
Other Important Things to Note
If you are ever concerned about your safety while using the Mental Health Forum please report the post or private message which causes the concern. Doing so helps us make the forum safe for all our community members.
Our advice is to never give out any personal information such as your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, including when using the forum’s personal message system.
Be careful who you trust online. We recommend that you check out the Get Safe Online website for further advice on using the internet safely
By using the Mental Health Forum you agree that you are bound by our disclaimer and our terms of service.
Any advice posted on the Mental Health Forum is for support purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for advice by a qualified professional.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and the owners of this forum, Together 4 Change Limited.
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, abusive, harassing, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person’s privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law.
This site does not align itself to any one political, religious, medical or cultural bias.