• Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression-free and gluten-free diet.

Default Depression-free and gluten-free diet.

Hi,

I have been a member of this very helpful forum since August. I am now depression free and I am spreading the word about my gluten sensitivity. I am aware that this may not apply to everyone reading this, but it may apply to some and hopefully may help someone. The medical community agree that a gluten-free diet is not dangerous, but as a disclaimer I would recommend you consult a doctor before trying any radical changes to your diet. Although most doctors are very helpful, some doctors are unaware of the link between gluten and depression.

I had depression, panic attacks, scary racing thoughts and high anxiety every day. Once I cut out gluten, within two days I had no more depression and hugely decreased scary thoughts, but I have included a list of the usual physical symptoms of a gluten sensitivity. If anything sounds like you, you could consider cutting gluten 100% of your diet for 2-4 weeks to see if any symptoms improve. You may not see an improvement if it is not 100%.

I had no physical symptoms whatsoever. I was tested before for food allergies and gluten did not show up, but since cutting it out of my diet, my depression has gone. I am now keeping a food diary and I have noticed the depression or anxiety is triggered after I eat corn, eggs, rice and tomatoes.

I found 'the gluten doctors blog' very helpful. It is a clinic run by doctors which use a blog to allow people to ask questions that regard gluten sensitivities. Also, for some people cutting out gluten needs to be accompanied by cutting out dairy in order to see any improvement.

I had a test for food allergies before and gluten did not show up. Certain doctors have acknowledged that this can be a common problem. I had no physical symptoms of a gluten sensitivity.

Here is a list of some of the common physical Symptoms of a gluten sensitivity:

Mouth Sores (canker sores)
      Cracks in Corners of Lips
      Tooth Enamel Defects or Discoloration
      Frequent Indigestion, Malodorous frequent gas, Smelly light coloured or floating stools.
      Constant Constipation or diarrohea
      Mood swings (feeling down after eating, feel better when you havenít eaten)
      Severe depression, anxiety, irritability, compulsive behaviour, schizophrenia symptoms and other mental disorders.
      Muscle Weakness
      Feeling exhausted
      Bone or Joint Pain, (Aching Joints)
      Skin Rashes (eczema, psoriasis, boils)
      Tingling or numbness in arms and legs
      Balance problems, uncoordinated walking
      Weight Changes (Sudden gain or loss of weight)
      Anemia

Here is a list of ceoliac symptoms, this is a much more dangerous disease, which if you suspect you are suffering from, please see your doctor as soon as possible:

Symptoms of Celiac disease

Nausea, constipation, bloating, diarrohea, wind, heartburn,
      Hair loss,
      Rapid Weight Loss
      Osteoporosis
      Night blindness
      Tiredness/headaches
      Has been linked to constant cystitis, infertility, autism, autoimmune diseases, frequent headaches and psoriasis.

Hi, a very interesting post. Three years ago I was suffering from severe stomach problems and appalling acid reflux. I had the tube down my throat but nothing showed up. I was given pills but not a lot of change occurred. I tried cutting wheat out of my diet and the whole situation got better. Aftter three months I had a month of work to go travelling. I had little choice but to have some wheat products and had no problems with them.

Since then my health has gone downhill. I developed eczema on my feet, my acid reflux got to the worst ever and I started to suffer from a strange tingling sensation in my left arm and side of my face earlier this year.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in September so commenced a radical overhaul of my lifestyle. I had a lot of sleep to catch up on and as I was signed off from work made sure I ate healthy foods at regular times as well as giving up booze and starting to exercise.

My acid reflux continued even after cutting out all wheat products apart from pasta which is made from durham wheat and has never caused me problems. I started back on the medication for reflux last week and it has vanished immediately.

My apologies if this was a bit if a rambling post but I was very interested to read what you had to say. Since my reflux has gone and I made some inportant decisions with my therapist last week my health has improved out of all recognition.

While my own experience would suggest that wheat free is not the way forward for me, looking carefully at diet is definitely an important part of the fight against depression.

My basic rule now is I look at ingredients, and if there is something in there and I don't know what it is I wont eat it.
      Learn to unlearn your learnings

Hi,

That is so interesting Prince Buster. Thanks for your reply.

It is a subject I am very interested in. Mind have produced a booklet called Food And Mood which I have here but have not read yet.

Will also post the name of a book that has much about this in it just as soon as the person I have lent it to gets back to me.

That would be great, thank you very much.
      I read about the link in Patrick Holford's "Optimum Nutrition of the Mind". It was an amazing book.

Still not managed to get the name of that book.

Will post it as soon as I get it.

No worries. I appreciate the effort.

Here you go. A link to amazon for it (I hope I am allowed to do that).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beating-Stre.../dp/0749928506

Thank you very much!

No problem. I must admit I did not agree with some of what the authors have written, but the extensive coverage given to diet is very interesting.

The same authors have also written another book about how food has an impact on your health. I have not seen it, but the reviews are very good.

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast