Register To Comment

Thread: Is psychotherapy for depression any better than a sugar pill?

Default Is psychotherapy for depression any better than a sugar pill?

Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

If we really want to say what helps in mental health, there’s a straightforward mantra and it goes like this:

“Some people find medication helpful. Some people find therapy helpful. Some people find medication and therapy helpful. Some people don’t find either helpful.”

My newspaper

Banned

I think there are people who think taking a pill is the 'cure' for depression, and I also know plenty who have been blindly prescribed by their GPs without ever asking what they were taking, what changes the drug was intended to make to them, which would then tie them in with the organic problems caused by lack of serotonin or whatever, and generally help people fully understand what's going on with them, and help them learn to self manage and give them a grounding on which to build a recovery.

But unless you're switched on and know how to do your own research, you're just handed a script and told to take one a day and come back in 12 weeks if you don't feel any better. And what you will find is people who haven't been closely listened to when describing anxiety and possible manic episodes, are handed Citalopram, and in 12 weeks when they go back, their mental health and their lives are in tatters.

Anyone reading this has the obvious skills to do a search engine check on antidepressants and other related treatments for depression, and should make themselves, and their GPs aware of their thoughts on the course of treatment.

Anti-d's are not always appropriately prescribed.

Pschotherapy should be an ongoing thing to battle through depression and then self managing those behavioural pattern skills you learned in counselling to keep you on the up side, avoid the triggers.

I've battled anxiety, depression, and extreme mania since I was a child. I've tried all the drugs they would throw at me. Most made me worse.

I learned to live with and accept myself and move on to fatherhood, I bought a springer spaniel a couple of years ago and taker her everywhere with me, I work 7 days a week just now, and I tie up all my spare time either out fishing or tying flies for fishing. As long as I'm doing something, preoccupied, I can't let anxiety creep up on me.

I think the worst thing of depression or mania is lack of sleep. The effects of not sleeping are exponential, they just keep snowballing getting bigger and bigger, and your physical health starts to deteriorate as well.

Filling up your time, eating and drinking healthy, and plenty exercise makes you tired and helps break the cycle of sleep deprivation. I know, I lost 20 years lying in bed looking at her lying next to me, resenting her because I was climbing the walls with a million thoughts running through my head ad not able to think straight about anything, and she was sleeping, and I resented her because she could sleep.

I think all of this, everything you can do, every little change you can make, is all part of psychotherapy.

Getting counselling for depression will at least attempt to teach positive messages to sufferers so at the end of the day they have the choice to put that advice, and those learned skills into practice.

Many people find themselves shot to pieces and do benefit from a range of medications which enables them to stabilise themselves enough to at least start talking about recovery, and there will be as many people out there who feel, for them, medication and therapy went hand in hand.

The important part is that the sufferer understands what is going on, where they need and want to be, and has the support and care that suits them individually.

So I'd then say there is no definitive answer to the proposed question or hypothesis.

Register To Comment