Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DWP & personality disorders

My Mood
      Blah

Thumbs up The DWP & personality disorders

A problem I find myself coming across again & again both in my own life and with friends is that people working for the Dept of Work & Pensions (often referred to as the Gestapo) and Jobcentre Plus are just civil servants.

They have no more knowledge of mental health issues than anybody else.

The following link to their own website may help people explain to the DWP/JCP about their problems.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/s...ity-disorders/
      You can take my money, take my sanity, take my life but please don't take my sense of humour!

Yep, but if you click on the extra tabs- it goes onto care and support???

Basically because depending on the personality disorder you have- you will recieve extra care and support. I've been diagnosed with emotionally unstable- but with me in the last year, I know that I can be aggressive towards others- hence why I've practically turned myself into a recluse.

The DWP only act on the information that they have got, and if you can access Dissability living allowance then that is useful when trying to get other benefits.

Daily living may be affected in schizoid, borderline, narcissistic, avoidant and dependent disorders; self-neglect can be extreme at times, and activities such as shopping or using public transport can cause considerable anxiety. There may be extreme emotional lability in borderline disorders or an abnormal fixation with appearance in narcissistic and histrionic disorders.
      I guess that to stop any person saying that they've got a personality disorder it must be diagnosed by a psychiatrist.

My Mood
      Blah

Oh yes, a supportive diagnosis from a medical doctor, psychologist or a CPN will give a lot of weight to your claim.

If you have a supportive consultant psych it will go a long way to help if they write a supportive report.

The other thing I've noticed about how DLA works, they don't work on your diagnosis but how your diagnosis affects you.

I was told once by someone at the DLA unit to fill in the claim forms based on your worst possible day.

Every one has bad days and better days and that helps them get a better picture of your needs.
      You can take my money, take my sanity, take my life but please don't take my sense of humour!

Yeah thats true when it comes to filling out the forms- worst possible day.. well for me, almost all the day is a bad day. From what I can gather having a personality disorder would preset you from having a bad day as oppossed to having a good day.

Does that make sense?? Peopel who have mental health problems including personality disorders and mood disorders are affected differently. For me its been mood instability- and because of that i struggle with the idea of work, of getting up of coping with a routine.

Some people with personality disorder might be very strict with themselves but live in issolation, or some might be overtly aggressive towards others. It's almost like labelling personality disorders together and labelling mood disorders together and saying- this is how you will behave.

penelope

You are soooooooooo right Dib x

Thanks for the link Devon, most interesting... Albeit rather shallow, I'll be quoting it, the next time I'm summoned! Which will be fairly soon as my DLA is up for review sometime in the next 15 months - it's either this December or the next... It may be next January.... I daren't check!

How did your adventures with the DWP go Dib?

Quote Originally Posted by schizzzoid View Post
      Thanks for the link Devon, most interesting... Albeit rather shallow, I'll be quoting it, the next time I'm summoned! Which will be fairly soon as my DLA is up for review sometime in the next 15 months - it's either this December or the next... It may be next January.... I daren't check!

How did your adventures with the DWP go Dib?
      Well Schizzoid- they're ongoing. I've filled out the DLA claim form and Mind have helped me with the forum and recommend that I should get the middle and the lower rates of the DLA. I've also applied for the freedom bus pass- and now its just a waiting game. Still got the tribuanal to go to as well.

My Mood
      Blah

Well I too have Emot unstable PD and the DLA after some poking gave me the High rate.

According to the website I should get the award for life but so far they've given me 3 yrs
      Last edited by Devon; 15-09-09 at 09:38. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
      Well I too have Emot unstable PD and the DLA after some poking gave me the High rate.

According to the website I should get the award for life but so far they've given me 3 yrs

I get anxious at times, so I need to be reassured about stuff so i called them and now although its at the decision maker the helpful receptionist/telephonist/adviser informed me that the wait for any form of answer is between 8-12 weeks.

But regardless my rep sent them everything that I have got, and my psychiartist details, everything..... and yet it still takes time. I dont get it, cause its gonna be back dated IF I get it.

The DWP are taking like forever to get back to me, and I call them every so often to find out what on earth can be taking them soo long. Middle- end of August I send in the forms, and still waiting to hear back. No luck on the freedom pass either.

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast