Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does depression make you want to give up and die?

Default Why does depression make you want to give up and die?

If you become ill with, say, glandular fever, you feel rough but you just want to get better.
      With depression, why do thoughts of killing yourself invade your mind?
      And how often can you think of killing yourself without actually doing something?
      "If you're crappy and you know it clap your hands"
      Hug flowergirl, MissKitty hugged this poster

My Mood
      Pensive

Goodmornig tc !
      I guess itsthe brains way of relea§ing the presure its under like a saftey valve ! Thats not to say theym afent important far from it may be its a coping mecamisn mecamisn (?)
      Sorry lol im not sure whatm I mean lol hugs tc love ya ! Xx

manic miner

With glandular fever you want to get better so you can get back to how it was before.

With depression you dont want to get back to how it was before because thats what gave you the depression.
      Likes flowergirl, djooj, Topcat, |||ME||| liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
      If you become ill with, say, glandular fever, you feel rough but you just want to get better.
      With depression, why do thoughts of killing yourself invade your mind?
      And how often can you think of killing yourself without actually doing something?
      I started getting depressed at the age of 11, & got into some very black states by the age of 16. When I was 21 I had a very serious suicide attempt, but was grateful to survive it. The whole experience was cathartic. I vowed that whatever happened, I would go through it, rather than trying to kill myself, & have stuck to that.

I often get times of wanting to be dead & for everything to be over; but wouldn't act on that; & haven't done since the age of 21; it is possible to have whatever going on in our thinking & not need to do anything about any of it. I also get times of enjoying living. I've always been fascinated with death, & have read up on the subject extensively. 'We' seem to have a very unhealthy attitude to it all in the West. Older & other cultures have explored & embraced the subject; such as the ancient Egyptians, & Tibetans. I've personally found a lot of interest in the past life/inter life areas of writing & research, with such writers as Michael Newton, Ian Lawton, Andy Tomlinson, Dolores Cannon, Kubler Ross, & others. I find such areas a fascinating subject, & if we do get very depressed around such things, then why not explore & look into it all? Sooner of later it will come to us all one day anyway.

Ernest Becker is worth a mention as well; he wrote 'The denial of death', & made some very good observations on the whole subject.
      “To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” ~ Chang Tzu
      "You become mature when you become the authority of your own life.” ~ Joseph Campbell
      http://healingsanctuary.proboards.com/index.cgi
      http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread54371.html
      Thanks flowergirl, Topcat gave thanks for this post
      Likes flowergirl liked this post
      Hug flowergirl hugged this poster

My Mood
      Breezy

Jeez sorry but these thread titles make me chuckle lol.Cheer up for Christ's sake.Stick a pair of trainers on now and go for a long walk in your local park or something.On the way back stop at a store and buy the nicest thing you would like to eat,pick up a four pack of beer while your there.When you get home have a long hot bath then cook your favourate meal and settle down in front of the tv with a few beers and watch a dvd or film,thankful in the knowledge you are actually ok and it's your brain chemistry not you that is f**king with your morale

Super Moderator
      My Mood
      Scared

Quote Originally Posted by BillFish View Post
      Jeez sorry but these thread titles make me chuckle lol.Cheer up for Christ's sake.Stick a pair of trainers on now and go for a long walk in your local park or something.On the way back stop at a store and buy the nicest thing you would like to eat,pick up a four pack of beer while your there.When you get home have a long hot bath then cook your favourate meal and settle down in front of the tv with a few beers and watch a dvd or film,thankful in the knowledge you are actually ok and it's your brain chemistry not you that is f**king with your morale
      In an ideal world we could follow through with some of your suggestions. However, as a fellow suffer of depression it's not as simple as just cheering up. If it were that "simple" we would not end up feeling like suicide was a "valid option". I really wish I could "pick myself up" but there are days when even staying awake takes all my energy. Depression really has "sucked the life out of me"
      Likes prairiechick liked this post
      Hug prairiechick hugged this poster

mellonheadgirl

Wow billfish! Didn't realize that going for a walk, eating favorite foods and watching movies was the cure for depression! Im sure no one has tried any of those things before! Why didn't you tell us before! ?

Im so glad that you find topcats pain so funny that you have to chuckle!

You sure as hell dont sound like someone who suffers mental illness. You sound like the ignorant people who have no clue about mental illness who think people just need to "cheer up"
      Likes prairiechick liked this post

Tis a phase it seem TC? you have been different to how you are feeling now, better seemingly, more at ease and have some enjoyment and calm, if not always. Sad that things are so down ward feeling at mo, this will pass and remember even with some physical illness, you dont always want to get better its just getting through it bit by bit.

Who knows why or how the brain comes up with the stuff if does? Like billfish says its brain wiring and chemistry, can you get some peace and take yourself for a breather? remember its just thoughts babe, you can and do choose not to act on them.

Subconsciously you prob know that this will change and get better for you, soon.

lol katss
      Hug Topcat hugged this poster

Quote Originally Posted by manic miner View Post
      With glandular fever you want to get better so you can get back to how it was before.

With depression you dont want to get back to how it was before because thats what gave you the depression.
      Woah, woah, come on now manic?.... Thats not necesserily true?! TC has a good life. as a man well known for his humour and acid test take on stuff what is that, or did i miss the plot. It even made me down.
      katss

Thought it was a valid question comparing the mindset between physical and mental health.
      "If you're crappy and you know it clap your hands"

Register To Comment
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast